Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Porsche guys bragging !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminchevy
The fastest thing about a Porsche is its depreciation. That is all.
I'd gladly suffer the consequences for a GT3.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
This month Motor Trend tested all of the Corvettes in a test against themselves...I'm sure a Porsche 911 will win that test too.
I though it was Road & Track, which was a resoectable article vs. the pathetic one written by MT comparing a GS against a new 911.

Motor Trend is by far the WORST rag out there !
Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM
geezerman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I'd gladly suffer the consequences for a GT3.
actually,..they hold their value better than any vette i've seen,...that's just a patent, bold face bit of total miss-information,..that is,...if you go to any web site, and paper, any PLACE AT ALL!,..and compare prices,..the porsche will always sell for more used than a vette,..just the facts,..that's not to say i don't love the vette!,..i think it's a magnificent piece of automotive machinery,..and certainly, a performance bargain by comparo to the porsche,..but really?,...the porsche DOES hold it's value better,...it should,..it's a pricier car,...i've been pricing out used zr1's,...and you can get a very good condition, low mileage one, 2009 or so, for now a very good, tempting to me,..price of 75-80000. or so, if not lower,...so sweet!,..and so itchin' ta get one,..once our daughter gets her own wheels,..[very soon, thank god!']...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by geezerman
actually,..they hold their value better than any vette i've seen,...that's just a patent, bold face bit of total miss-information,..that is,...if you go to any web site, and paper, any PLACE AT ALL!,..and compare prices,..the porsche will always sell for more used than a vette,..just the facts,..
..but really?,...the porsche DOES hold it's value better...
Are you sure?
Corvettes certainly depreciate with the best of them but I don't care how much "percentage" of original MSRP a car holds or not, if someone eats $50k selling their $130k Porsche or $30k selling their $60k Corvette, they still lost more actual dollars selling their Porsche LOL.

Do you now what some of these cars sold for when brand new?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1331416819825

You were saying?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Are you sure?
Corvettes certainly depreciate with the best of them but I don't care how much "percentage" of original MSRP a car holds or not, if someone eats $50k selling their $130k Porsche or $30k selling their $60k Corvette, they still lost more actual dollars selling their Porsche LOL.

Do you now what some of these cars sold for when brand new?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1331416819825

You were saying?
well hel yeah,...of course, the porsche is ALWAYS gonna cost more than the vette,...always has,..probably always will!,..but when you do the percentage of depreciation against the original cost,..the porsche just holds it's value better,...always has,...maybe? always will,...vettes were for years considered "badly built" cars by comparo to the porsches,..which very much impacted their re-sale values,..but the vette is now built just as well as any porsche out there i believe,...so i do think this will start to change,..perceptions take quite a while to fix,...and the majority of folks still "precieve" the porsche as the better-built vehicle,..even if they're wrong!,..this however DOES impact resale values for now,...every time i do a search comparo, i'm surprised by how much value the vette continues to lose very fast off the lot,...the porsches, yes, while more expensive up front,...do retain their value better for a while,..than they too start to sink like a rock!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 PM
geezerman
Racer

did just go to the link you provided,..and for example, the 911 turbo's that are listed as 2008's at 108k, and 113k respectively,..were probably around 140k or so new,...the person trying to sell those cars is asking WAY too much for a 2008 turbo, we bought ours used back in 2010 for 90k!,...but the examples you've provided, if anything!,..prove how well the 911 turbo has upheld it's resale value,..it least in the delusional mind of those folks who've listed those sales!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche owners are just like any other car guys, vette owners included. You have the ones who think their car is the only one in the world, and others who respect performance over brand. Have you guys seen the German car comparos on this site? I think the last M3 thread concluded that only Hitler supporting castrated 100 lb men drive them.

There are some p cars that demand respect. The GT3 RS 4.0 is one of them. 500 hp out of a 4 liter six!? I don't care who made it, that's damn impressive.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boost2na
Porsche owners are just like any other car guys, vette owners included. You have the ones who think their car is the only one in the world, and others who respect performance over brand. Have you guys seen the German car comparos on this site? I think the last M3 thread concluded that only Hitler supporting castrated 100 lb men drive them.

There are some p cars that demand respect. The GT3 RS 4.0 is one of them. 500 hp out of a 4 liter six!? I don't care who made it, that's damn impressive.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

did just go to the link you provided,..and for example, the 911 turbo's that are listed as 2008's at 108k, and 113k respectively,..were probably around 140k or so new,...the person trying to sell those cars is asking WAY too much for a 2008 turbo, we bought ours used back in 2010 for 90k!,...but the examples you've provided, if anything!,..prove how well the 911 turbo has upheld it's resale value,..it least in the delusional mind of those folks who've listed those sales!
Wait, on the one hand you find that some of those asking prices are way too high, yet you ALSO think that a $154k (MSRP) 911 asking only $93k now, just 4 years later, is good resale value?
A 2008 car that was $146k new, asking only $99k now?
I'm not sure I'm quite following you on this one.

Losing more money is losing more money, there's no fuzzy math or backpedaling logic that can bend the truth any other way.

And starting with a used Porsche doesn't count, the first owner already took the HUGE hit. The guy who just bought a used C5 for only $15k won't lose too much money either.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 AM
3musky3
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

rode in a 911 once it was a 1969 vintage funny thing is my daily driver was a 1969 buick gs 350 and had no problem with the suped up bug. in fact it was not even close. i had 245 60 14's and even in the corners could pull that porsche hard.

living in the pacific nw awd is a real game changer in the wet.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wait, on the one hand you find that some of those asking prices are way too high, yet you ALSO think that a $154k (MSRP) 911 asking only $93k now, just 4 years later, is good resale value?
A 2008 car that was $146k new, asking only $99k now?
I'm not sure I'm quite following you on this one.

Losing more money is losing more money, there's no fuzzy math or backpedaling logic that can bend the truth any other way.

And starting with a used Porsche doesn't count, the first owner already took the HUGE hit. The guy who just bought a used C5 for only $15k won't lose too much money either.
lok,..i'm not gonna argue with ya,...you're right,...the 911 is a more expensive car, right?!,..so, yes, when you go to sell it,..you will lose more actual cash,..cause the car costs more than a vette,...but, as a percentage of depreciation,..the fact remains that the 911 holds it's value better than a vette,...that's always been my observation when i'm pricing these things out,...perception is reality,..and the market seems to think, that for now, the 911 is a better built car, and like everything in life, ya get what ya pay for!,..it's no longer correct logic by the way,..the vette NOW IS built just as well as the 911,..but the market hasn't caught up on that fact yet,..it will,..and then these two will level out more,..just like what happened to the jag,..built like crap for MANY years,..people knew that,..so you paid a lot up front,..then lost crap-loads on re-sale,..they too are built much better now,..and are holding their re-sale better now too,...porsches do hold their re-sale better for now, just a fact!..but that will change over time,..but in terms of sheer cash spent,..you do lose more cash on any porsche, cause they cost more,..and NO CAR,..FERRARI'S INCLUDED, ever are to be looked at as an investment,...we buy 'em cause we bitten with the speed bug!,..and ya always lose in the long run,..hope that helps to explain where i'm comin' from,...hope to be the proud owner of the awesome zr1 soon!,...so actually,..the cheaper they are for me, the better!,..cause i want a used one!,...
Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Notch
Safety Car

lok,..i'm not gonna argue with ya,...you're right,...the 911 is a more expensive car, right?!,..so, yes, when you go to sell it,..you will lose more actual cash,..cause the car costs more than a vette,...but, as a percentage of depreciation,..the fact remains that the 911 holds it's value better than a vette,...that's always been my observation when i'm pricing these things out,...perception is reality,..and the market seems to think, that for now, the 911 is a better built car, and like everything in life, ya get what ya pay for!,..it's no longer correct logic by the way,..the vette NOW IS built just as well as the 911,..but the market hasn't caught up on that fact yet,..it will,..and then these two will level out more,..just like what happened to the jag,..built like crap for MANY years,..people knew that,..so you paid a lot up front,..then lost crap-loads on re-sale,..they too are built much better now,..and are holding their re-sale better now too,...porsches do hold their re-sale better for now, just a fact!..but that will change over time,..but in terms of sheer cash spent,..you do lose more cash on any porsche, cause they cost more,..and NO CAR,..FERRARI'S INCLUDED, ever are to be looked at as an investment,...we buy 'em cause we bitten with the speed bug!,..and ya always lose in the long run,..hope that helps to explain where i'm comin' from,...hope to be the proud owner of the awesome zr1 soon!,...so actually,..the cheaper they are for me, the better!,..cause i want a used one!,...
"Holy sentence structure/lack of capitalization Batman".
Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Notch
"Holy sentence structure/lack of capitalization Batman".
hey notch,..i thought you were on MY SIDE!!!,...I've always gathered you're somethin' of a porsche lover too!,...i do go on,..[and on, and on!],..but my point was, as i'm sure you'd agree,..that 911's just DO hold their value better,[for now],..that will change as folks understand that g.m. is finally making a very well built car in the vette,..it will take time,..but vettes will start to acheive higher resales versus the 911 soon,...i love 'em both!,..and as you've heard me exlaime on here, the vette zr1 is on my bucket list to buy and drive soon!,..can't wait,..but love my 911 turbo too,..both incredible cars!..
Old 03-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Notch
Safety Car

hey notch,..i thought you were on MY SIDE.
If you are a car lover, and I think you are, then that's the side of yours I'm on. But your sentence structure and capitalization side? No.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I don’t think the Porsche guys hate the Z06, as a Z06 guy I love the Porsches, I really like the Blue, Gray GT3RS and Silver turbo in this video, they look good with the flashing brake lights, and they really look good in the rearview mirror.

http://youtu.be/GwsFU_vBxoA
Old 03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by z06-2nv
I heard some Porsche guys bragging that for those who regularly track their cars the Z starts out strong but sucks wind after 15 laps or so. Is this true or are they just talking smack? I suspect it is the latter!
Like I said even a C5Z eats them alive and after 30 minutes on the track the P car is still slower. The nice thing about the Vette is you can pull back into the garage, shut the car off and walk away until your next session. Maintenance during the day is a check of oil level every other session/top off as needed plus keeping an eye on the brake rotors. Rotors will crack more often on a C5 than they do on a P car but the rotors are far cheaper than the P cars rotors. C6Z rotors have about 60% more life than the C5 rotors and are more costly although there are some cheaper aftermarket non drilled rotors from Centric available now. Over a 30 minute session the cars don't slow down at all. If one is slowing down it is probably due to tire choice as some street tires tend to get a little greasy after 20 minutes or so.

Bill
Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S Coupe = $160,000. base.....then add your accessories....$170+ easy....

Last edited by tim414; 03-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche guys bragging !!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
paulrom
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Z06 v 911

I can't resist jumping in. At any comparable price point a Corvettee always beats a porsche at the track. Spend 70 k and you are fighting a boxter. Spend 100k and a z06 carbon beats a base 911 carerra s. Spend 400k and a carrera gt is slower round the ring than a Z06. The mags always pull down the Corvettes for the seats even though the Vette always outperforms the porsche. I finally settled the argument with my neighbor and his 911 carrera 4s when we went to the same track day at beaverun and my Z06 was 18 seconds per lap faster on average.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by paulrom
I can't resist jumping in. At any comparable price point a Corvettee always beats a porsche at the track.
How many sports car owners buy their cars for track use?

Out of the total miles driven annually by all sports cars here in the U.S., how many of those miles would you guess are driven on a track?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z06
I don’t think the Porsche guys hate the Z06, as a Z06 guy I love the Porsches, I really like the Blue, Gray GT3RS and Silver turbo in this video, they look good with the flashing brake lights, and they really look good in the rearview mirror.

http://youtu.be/GwsFU_vBxoA
this^,..i meet very few porsche guys that i hang with that ever diss the vettes,..most guys, and girls in my car circle, including me!,...LOVE the zo6 and zr1,..have much respect for them,...and generally LOVE all fast cars!,...maybe we are an exceptionally open-minded group of car nuts,..but even when we get together with other groups,..i hear nothing but kudos about the vettes and their performance,...i think most p guys love their cars, and other fast cars too!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Porsche guys bragging !!