Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Porsche guys bragging !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Porsche guys bragging !!

I don't have a z06, but what's with the porsche guys hating the z06 ? and is it true that a '04 911 turbo can beat a z06 ?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

996 Turbo's are turds my buddies Cam only LS1 beat one that had Intake/Tune
Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

What? Beat it on a peice of paper...beleive what the car mags say?

Car mags...and I subscribe to many...are very biased. long story about growing up in the 60's, muscle cars and the divide with euro sports cars...as the 70's (and the government bufu) took it's toll US cars sucked and it opened the door for good cars from Japan and euro to bump US car makers to the weeds. The car mags took a hold of that and have been riding that horse ever sense.

Now everyone is on the same plane with quality & performance. (in theory)

in my experience on the track (DE's & open track events) the only thing that will out perform my Z06 (track tires & brake pads) is a full out race car and a Porsche GT2. The GT3 just doesn't have enough HP to be in the same discusion as the Z06.

An 04' turbo 911 (probably on street tires) would be embarassed.

The car mag tests are getting down right embarassing. 1st they say the z06 beats all the cars but b/c of it's "poor" seats it's 4th in the test. or it beat all the cars but it's run flats make it 3rd. But when GM steps up the the plate and puts equivelent (to the GTR) cup tires on it...the mags say well it blew everything away but it was practically cheating b/c of the sticky tires.

This month Motor Trend tested all of the Corvettes in a test against themselves...I'm sure a Porsche 911 will win that test too.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who knows, but think Porsches are pretty cool too. Truth is, there's not much out there, that's gonna out run a ZO6 in any way. Even at the fuel pump. GM put together an amazing package here, especially, when fans of other brands, are constantly seeing tail lights getting smaller on road track days.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5

Car mags...and I subscribe to many...are very biased. long story about growing up in the 60's, muscle cars and the divide with euro sports cars...as the 70's (and the government bufu) took it's toll US cars sucked and it opened the door for good cars from Japan and euro to bump US car makers to the weeds. The car mags took a hold of that and have been riding that horse ever sense.

in my experience on the track (DE's & open track events) the only thing that will out perform my Z06 (track tires & brake pads) is a full out race car and a Porsche GT2. The GT3 just doesn't have enough HP to be in the same discusion as the Z06.

The car mag tests are getting down right embarassing. 1st they say the z06 beats all the cars but b/c of it's "poor" seats it's 4th in the test. or it beat all the cars but it's run flats make it 3rd. But when GM steps up the the plate and puts equivelent (to the GTR) cup tires on it...the mags say well it blew everything away but it was practically cheating b/c of the sticky tires.

This month Motor Trend tested all of the Corvettes in a test against themselves...I'm sure a Porsche 911 will win that test too.
My 03 C5Z was well able to handle a GT3 piloted by an equal driver and it probably kept me in the running against better drivers driving GT3s. C6Z just eats them alive.

Bill
Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

sure, an 04 turbo can beat a z06 but it ain't stock! anything can be made fast(er)... think of it this way: the passion you have for vettes, a lot of Porsche guys have that same passion for the P cars, so naturally it's going to make for some interesting conversation. I bring my Z06 to PCA events, my wife takes her 911, there's no hating from the PCA guys...they ask if my chevy will start, I ask if they got their wood screws on because I'll be blowing their doors completely off, and we all have a good time
Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 AM
User24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What configuration of Porsche 996 would that 911 Turbo be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_996#Statistics

I would not get bent out of shape about it, those 911 turbo are fast cars. Any sports car well over $100K ought to be fast, I would think it somewhat foolish to "brag". The multiplicity of Porsche models and configurations out there make it difficult for a non-Porshce guy like myself to identify capabilities on sight. But I wouldn't mind having one as a secondary vehicle.

Sports cars are okay in my book. I just don't like muscle cars.

Last edited by User24; 03-09-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I ran into a guy in a current new generation 911 turbo on PCH one night, asking for directions. I said follow me and no matter what he did I kept losing him in my rear view mirror. I kept slowing down so he could catch up. He suggested he follow me from a red light I declined as I said it is better to follow from 40mph. Still kept losing him though. Weird...
Old 03-09-2012, 03:28 AM
rage793
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gary2kc5
what? Beat it on a peice of paper...beleive what the car mags say?

Car mags...and i subscribe to many...are very biased. Long story about growing up in the 60's, muscle cars and the divide with euro sports cars...as the 70's (and the government bufu) took it's toll us cars sucked and it opened the door for good cars from japan and euro to bump us car makers to the weeds. The car mags took a hold of that and have been riding that horse ever sense.

in my experience on the track (de's & open track events) the only thing that will out perform my z06 (track tires & brake pads) is a full out race car and a porsche gt2. The gt3 just doesn't have enough hp to be in the same discusion as the z06.

The car mag tests are getting down right embarassing. 1st they say the z06 beats all the cars but b/c of it's "poor" seats it's 4th in the test. Or it beat all the cars but it's run flats make it 3rd. But when gm steps up the the plate and puts equivelent (to the gtr) cup tires on it...the mags say well it blew everything away but it was practically cheating b/c of the sticky tires.

This month motor trend tested all of the corvettes in a test against themselves...i'm sure a porsche 911 will win that test too.
lmao
Old 03-09-2012, 03:28 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohammed_z
and is it true that a stock '04 911 turbo can beat a z06 ?
No.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 AM
Clint-Z
Heel & Toe

Ha ha... I'm pretty new to Vettes & have begun to notice that big time. Same here in NZ, no matter what the Z06 achieves all I hear from JDM & Euro fanbois are things like 'So what it's got pushrods' or 'it's plastic'.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM
SRVfan09
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint-Z
Ha ha... I'm pretty new to Vettes & have begun to notice that big time. Same here in NZ, no matter what the Z06 achieves all I hear from JDM & Euro fanbois are things like 'So what it's got pushrods' or 'it's plastic'.
I actually brag about my "dinosaur's" transverse leaf springs and cam in block V8. It's amazing what you can do with good ole simple mechanics.

BTW...I've heard some folks complaining about fuel injectors clogging sooner in DI motors because of the placement with regard to the combustion chamber...sometimes different/new is not always better.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Classic ***** envy syndrome

But other than that, who cares, it is what it is
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 AM
OnTarget1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mohammed_z
I don't have a z06, but what's with the porsche guys hating the z06 ? and is it true that a '04 911 turbo can beat a z06 ?
I own a Z06, 911.2TTS, and a GT2. Each does something better than the next. The Z06 IS the most versatile on the track, road, or strip. The GT2 is a monster and the TTS is just fun as all get up to drive.

Like someone mentioned just add $$ and stir to build a 996 that would beat most all C6 Z06's. Just ask Eddie Bello (although he didnt always pay for his parts according to the law enforcement authorities ), he held the 1 mile record for several years and is still a force to be reckoned with. On the flip side, Atomic Fusion is incredable and certainly the most amazing "modern" car I know of.

As far as bragging..........its a two way street.

Last edited by OnTarget1; 03-09-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Who knows, but think Porsches are pretty cool too. Truth is, there's not much out there, that's gonna out run a ZO6 in any way. Even at the fuel pump. GM put together an amazing package here, especially, when fans of other brands, are constantly seeing tail lights getting smaller on road track days.

Would those tail lights be in the shape of the Vette's rear lights???
Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche makes fine automobiles and the 2004 911 Turbo, though not particularly distinguished, is another one of their fine automobiles. As compared to the ZO6, the 911 weighs about 3400lbs and has about 415 hp, so it would be at a power to weight ratio disadvantage. The 911 does feature an excellent all wheel drive system which can be advantageous at times - an extreme example would be that the 911 would trump the ZO6 big time in snowy conditions.
In either a drag race or on a road course, the ZO6 would top the 911 Turbo when compared stock to stock. Both are excellent cars and owners of both have every right to be proud and brag a bit . . . .
Old 03-09-2012, 09:45 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

The only Porsche I ran into that outran me was on the A5 outside Frankfurt.

However, this does not come with some BS. Prior to our pre-arranged run, I asked if he was stock and he said "yes". So, I figured an AWD 996 TT would be a close match considering we were both around 500. (I had 505 rwtq / 491 rwhp)

After our run, I called serious BS. I told him there was no way he could walk me from a 40 mph that quick being stock..... After a few interrogative "BS" calls, he admitted that he had "upgraded" turbos, but swears he was "only" putting down 550. I still call BS.

I had trouble keeping up and while his taillights steadily disappeared into the night, he also stated he did 326 KmpH or 204 mph.

Although I got handed with a BS race, it was still fun. And in 2 years time, that was the only Porsche that beat me.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche guys bragging !!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Hahabye
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My 03 C5Z was well able to handle a GT3 piloted by an equal driver and it probably kept me in the running against better drivers driving GT3s. C6Z just eats them alive.

Bill
I heard some Porsche guys bragging that for those who regularly track their cars the Z starts out strong but sucks wind after 15 laps or so. Is this true or are they just talking smack? I suspect it is the latter!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Notch
Safety Car

The car mag tests are getting down right embarassing. 1st they say the z06 beats all the cars but b/c of it's "poor" seats it's 4th in the test.
I'm sure you realize that most car magazine comparisons include both objective and subjective assessments.

In terms of the subjective assessments, I'm also sure you realize that just because someone has a different subjective opinion than you, that doesn't mean 1) that the other person is biased, and/or 2) that the other person is "wrong".
Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I've owned both. The Z06 is going to win stock vs stock. Both are very easy and realtively cheap to modify and can get some crazy power. No use talkng about mods though... unless you are the one racing : )

I prefer the 996 turbo. So much so that I am looking to pick one up again early fall....if not a 997 Turbo. They are fantastic cars.

Porsche vs Vette will never end. There are fanboi douchebags that drive them both......as well as every other performance car on the planet. It's a way of life for some.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Porsche guys bragging !!