Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Thanks guys you just made my decision very easy...Will be doing the deal tomorrow and getting the car shipped to me next week...Can't wait for summer now...These c6 Vette's are by far the nicest ever and love them all but the ZR has my heart..

Wow what a forum this is lots of help and great info for a nube like me...You guys have a great forum and I'm proud to be a part of this from now on.
Cograts on your new ZR - you will find that there is a teather line between your right foot and and a silly grin on your face!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Hi guys just a nube here would like to know if you guys would help me out..Love my 09 Z06 but just thought I'd take the jump to the ZR1...Anything to look out for or are these cars really close in performance and reliability ?...Never drove a ZR1 is it that much more powerful than the Z06 ?

THanks.
All Zr1 owners that made the move say it was the best thing ever.
I think Its a bad financial move especially with the C7 coming along. But if you have the money to burn and are not financing the thing at an unreasonable rate, then go for whatever floats your boat.

0-150 Z06 = 17.3 seconds
0-150 Zr1 = 16.5 seconds.
And depending upon which car rag you read, .2 to .4 difference in the 1/4mile.

The big question is will your seat of the pants tell the difference.

There was one guy that made the move, and sold the zr1 and bought another z06 back. His take it was not worth having 40-50k extra tied up in the car. Can't remember his handle --- There was also another guy that has both, and says its close but the zr1 is better.

Once the boat has sailed and you have let loose of your z06 + another 40-60k + sales tax --- what are you going to say, especially if you had to stretch financially to do it- It was good but not great. Heck no. you will say its the best move ever and those that stayed with their Z06's are jealous because they can't swing it and they are secretly dreaming of our extra special zr1's. -its human nature.

I would do it, but my financial limit to do the exchange would be 15 maybe 20k. I could easily swing 50k or 60k, but I rather use that money to take 2 or 3 great vacations and apply it to the next generation corvette., because I know when the C7 comes out I will be clammering for that and will regret having tossed 50k after a zr1. - its human nature.

We are so close to the C7 coming out.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by outbackfarmer
BAD BAD BAD ideal! You are supposed to keep the Z06 and buy a ZR1 too. Then you don't have this delima.

I started to sell my Z06 and get a new ZR1 in late 2010. But I really like my Z06, it is LeMans Blue and is my personal favorite color ever put on a C6. I just couldnt get myself to sell it. So I just waited. I thought it would be a 4 or 5 years before I could afford both. But things lined up much sooner and I found a great deal on a 2400 mile 2010 ZR1 that was the exact option and color I wanted. So now I have both.

Like your choice in colors.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Congrats.

Be sure to post back what you think after your first drive.

I have a hunch you'll be hooked.

I will OnPoint...I plan on being here for as long as the forum is here.

Great place.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
I think Its a bad financial move especially with the C7 coming along. But if you have the money to burn and are not financing the thing at an unreasonable rate, then go for whatever floats your boat.

0-150 Z06 = 17.3 seconds

There was one guy that made the move, and sold the zr1 and bought another z06 back. His take it was not worth having 40-50k extra tied up in the car. Can't remember his handle --- There was also another guy that has both, and says its close but the zr1 is better.

Once the boat has sailed and you have let loose of your z06 + another 40-60k + sales tax --- what are you going to say, especially if you had to stretch financially to do it- It was good but not great. Heck no. you will say its the best move ever and those that stayed with their Z06's are jealous because they can't swing it and they are secretly dreaming of our extra special zr1's. -its human nature.

I would do it, but my financial limit to do the exchange would be 15 maybe 20k. I could easily swing 50k or 60k, but I rather use that money to take 2 or 3 great vacations and apply it to the next generation corvette., because I know when the C7 comes out I will be clammering for that and will regret having tossed 50k after a zr1. - its human nature.

The money isn't an issue thats why I'm making the move...And I'm not a person that will say it's great just because I have it if I don't like it as much as the Z06 I'll sure be on giving my opinion..I'm buying the ZR as it's probably going to be my last Vette no matter what the C7 is like...I do have other cars also..I'm 53 and retired 3 years ago so yeah this one will last me as I only will maybe put 2-3000 miles a year on it..If I was younger yeah I would maybe rethink things being so close to a new C7 body style..And I'm sure the C7 will be all that and then some.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

The money isn't an issue thats why I'm making the move...And I'm not a person that will say it's great just because I have it if I don't like it as much as the Z06 I'll sure be on giving my opinion..I'm buying the ZR as it's probably going to be my last Vette no matter what the C7 is like...I do have other cars also..I'm 53 and retired 3 years ago so yeah this one will last me as I only will maybe put 2-3000 miles a year on it..If I was younger yeah I would maybe rethink things being so close to a new C7 body style..And I'm sure the C7 will be all that and then some.
53 is young. I am not that far behind in age. There are plenty of C-Whatevers coming along in our lifetimes. I felt the same way that my C6Z would be the last Corvette i buy when I got it 2 years ago. Now I am thinking the c7 looks interesting. Congrats on retiring at 50.

My family tells me I should retire, but am concerned that I would not be happy as i am when i am engaged in my business.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
NJ 427ZO6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 Z06 and added a 2012 ZR1 about 4 weeks ago. Today was warm enough to drive for 2 hours, and a chance to check out the Mild to Wild switch I put in the ZR1 yesterday.

First, the sound difference is really great, on the highway I enjoyed a quieter ride, in town I enjoyed the growl even at a red light. Switch was a great first (and only) mod.

Which car is better, I thought the ZO6 was not to be topped but today I learned otherwise. ZO6 is fast and ZR1 is lightening fast, lots more acceleration in my opinion. My buddy was with me driving my Viper and at 75 my ZR1 quickly got ahead of him, amazing "throw you back in your seat" response.

My prediction is that there is no way you will regret having both. You only get today once, and you have earned the opportunity to enjoy the best... go for it and don't look back!

Last edited by NJ 427ZO6; 03-12-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

53 is young. I am not that far behind in age. There are plenty of C-Whatevers coming along in our lifetimes. I felt the same way that my C6Z would be the last Corvette i buy when I got it 2 years ago. Now I am thinking the c7 looks interesting. Congrats on retiring at 50.

My family tells me I should retire, but am concerned that I would not be happy as i am when i am engaged in my business.
Life is short and enjoy while you can!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Thanks Gizmo..

I thought the same thing when my wife said I should retire...I worked so darn hard all my life I didn't know any other way but looking back and what I do now I wouldn't do it any other way...If you can Giz go for it you won't regret it..I know I don't plus gives me lots of time to play with the cars..lol.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NJ 427ZO6
I have an 08 Z06 and added a 2012 ZR1 about 4 weeks ago. Today was warm enough to drive for 2 hours, and a chance to chech out the Mild to Wild switch I put in the ZR1 yesterday.

First, the sound difference is really great, on the highway I enjoyed a quieter ride, in town I enjoyed the growl even at a red light. Switch was a great first (and only) mod.

Which car is better, I thought the ZO6 was not to be topped but today I learned otherwise. ZO6 is fast and ZR1 is lightening fast, lots more acceleration in my opinion. My buddy was with me driving my Viper and at 75 my ZR1 quickly got ahead of him, amazing throw you back in your seat response.

My prediction is that there is no way you will regret having both. You only get today once, and you have earned the opportunity to enjoy the best... go for it and don't look back!

Thanks so much for your reply...Thats what I like to hear that throw you back in the seat feeling is what i'm after...So nice to talk to people that have driven both cars and owned both and give me a comparo..The Z06 is far from my first performance car but the first Corvette i've owned..I regret not buying one long ago but am catching up now love these cars.

Thanks again for the awesome input.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Pitbull11
Racer

0-150 Z06 = 17.3 seconds

All the talk so far about the difference has been focused on performance or percieved performance. What about all the posts on the engine problems with the Z06 value/lifter. Is there a dependablity or engine quality difference between the Z06 and the ZR1?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull11
All the talk so far about the difference has been focused on performance or percieved performance. What about all the posts on the engine problems with the Z06 value/lifter. Is there a dependablity or engine quality difference between the Z06 and the ZR1?
Hard to say. Only one reported engine failure on the ZR section here on the forum, and that was like a couple years ago.

The production numbers are so lopsided b/n the two, hard to say.

There are some differences b/n the two. For example, a bit less lift with the LS9, lower rocker ratio, and smaller valve face (which may assist in keeping the seating true if guides are out of shape), and lower rpm redline.

Given the lower production numbers of the LS9, it may be years b/f anybody can say for sure the LS9 is exempt from the issues seen by some LS7s.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Pitbull11
Racer

I retired at 48, I'm now 63. I think you need to have more cars, since you now have more time to drive them . Since I've retired I've had several sporty cars. Lexus SC430, Mercedes SL550. Mercedes CLS63 AMG, Aston Martin Vantage, Mercedes CL63, and the C6 Vette. Thats just the sporty cars Enjoy the new toy and then enjoy the next and the next, etc.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
outbackfarmer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
Like your choice in colors.
Looks like we have twins!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pitbull11
I retired at 48, I'm now 63. I think you need to have more cars, since you now have more time to drive them . Since I've retired I've had several sporty cars. Lexus SC430, Mercedes SL550. Mercedes CLS63 AMG, Aston Martin Vantage, Mercedes CL63, and the C6 Vette. Thats just the sporty cars Enjoy the new toy and then enjoy the next and the next, etc.

Thanks Pitbull...I will enjoy for sure..Cars I have enough for now..AC Cobra..ZR1..I'm happy with that.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:03 AM
NJ 427ZO6
Intermediate

right now I am at 7 cars and that is as high as I expect to go for the next few years :-)
Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

right now I am at 7 cars and that is as high as I expect to go for the next few years :-)

Awesome bud enjoy them!!

Get notified of new replies

To Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

I have an 08 Z06 and added a 2012 ZR1 about 4 weeks ago. Today was warm enough to drive for 2 hours, and a chance to check out the Mild to Wild switch I put in the ZR1 yesterday.

Which car is better, I thought the ZO6 was not to be topped but today I learned otherwise. ZO6 is fast and ZR1 is lightening fast, lots more acceleration in my opinion. My buddy was with me driving my Viper and at 75 my ZR1 quickly got ahead of him, amazing "throw you back in your seat" response.

What is the mild to wild switch ?...Never heard of this before.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

What is the mild to wild switch ?...Never heard of this before.

It allows u to go from normal exhaust mode to all 4 tips open with the push of a remote button. An acceptable alternative if u r cheap and lazy is to pull the fuse.

----
Mike
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
It allows u to go from normal exhaust mode to all 4 tips open with the push of a remote button. An acceptable alternative if u r cheap and lazy is to pull the fuse.

----
Mike

Got ya Thanks..Will look into that....The ZR i'm getting has 3M clear vynl on the whole front of the car I hate that stuff it don't allow me to polish the way I want to...Any of you have it or know someone who did and took it off ?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!!