Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It's really time to put this thread to bed. GM's not going to fix this issue because it really isn't an issue. It has been, no offense to you, been blown completely out of proportion.

Let it go.

jas
I absolutely agree with you...

Unfortunately for us it really is a shame at the lack of support we get, all the way from minor issues such as this one, up to major issues like transmission replacements and Carbon Ceramic rotor problems that many have experienced.

The nickel and dimeing from GM is just nauseating...

This thread at this point is to answer questions for others that may stumble upon this particular ZR1 idiosyncrasy and think that there's something "major" wrong with their PTM/MSRC system...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
This thread at this point is to answer questions for others that may stumble upon this particular ZR1 idiosyncrasy and think that there's something "major" wrong with their PTM/MSRC system...
I'd suggest you ask Pewter to kick this up into a sticky then, instead of continuing to revive it every month or so. In fact, if he lets me, I'm thinking about re-writing the FAQ from scratch since the one there is completely out-of-date and somewhat useless.

jas
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 AM
JC13ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default actually all interior lights

I'm not interested in getting in on the bickering on this thread, but that may be unavoidable since I'm posting...

I noticed this week it's actually all the interior indicator lights and this condition exists regardless of driver selection for lights.

I left work before dusk, but it was rainy and overcast. In the garage my car thought it was night so headlights came on, gauges went to night (dimmed) mode, and all interior indicator lights (including pts ****) were illuminated.

As I pulled out of the garage the gauges went bright, the indicators (window buttons, heater controls, dic control buttons, pts ****, etc) went dark, but headlights stayed on, presumably due to inclement weather.

While driving I went through all possible headlight control combinations, auto mode, manual off, manual on, driving lights off/on, etc. When I turned the headlights off the dic said "headlights recommended". In all states the **** and all indicator lights stayed off. Only the instrument cluster and nav screen were illuminated in bright/day mode.

When I pulled into my garage at home with headlight control in auto mode and headlights on and driving lights also on, the interior indicator lights (Including pts ****) illuminated and the gauges went dim.

So I might be stating the obvious here, but there seems to be two light sensors. One for outside the car and one for inside the car. As long as the inside sensor thinks it's light enough none of the interior indicator lights function. This seems logical because those lights are so you can see the buttons when it's dark inside the car.

The issue then becomes that the pts **** illumination is on that same circuit, and since it needs to be illuminated to serve it's dual function (control **** and indicator), it should have been designed to be illuminated regardless of the interior light conditions.

I agree it's an engineering oversight and should function differently with respect to its illumination characteristics.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:46 PM
demoke
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-21-2016, 07:16 PM
ZMOKED
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default D'oh!

Not sure if I feel like an idiot for not realizing the connection between the headlight setting and the PTM **** illumination, or disappointed in GM that they would do something so crazy.

Either way, very useful thread, and my apologies for resurrecting this thread from beyond the grave! "Problem" solved.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 PM
MJBZR1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C6 of the Year Finalist

This thread helped me realize a "function" of my ZR1. This very thing happened to me last week and i thought the switch was defective (absent any documentation to the contrary). Since there is no documentation to let me know that under a certain criteria the illumination will go off completely i was left with no other assumption than the button illumination is defective. So if nothing else, knowledge is power. Knowing that all ZR1s operate like this at least saved me a wasted trip to the dealership thinking i had a problem. (now back to your regularly scheduled dead horse beating)
Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
I see....

I guess they're punishing us for driving in the rain too. The control **** shuts off when you turn the wipers on during the day.

Think GM intentionally designed that feature?...
Read most of the posts but not all of them so if this has already been mentioned, sorry.

Has anybody checked to see if the car reverts to Tour mode when the wipers are on? Wipers on in most states require lights and maybe just maybe the car has a built in nanny to keep yo azz on the wet road. Manually turning your lights on during the day MIGHT be telling the car there is an abnormal driving condition and same thing? Turning on the wipers on my wife's Volvo does all kinds of nanny things automatically. I'm gonna search my service manual to see if there is anything like this pre programmed??

Last edited by GMJim; 01-26-2017 at 08:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MMEOD85 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Did a little research in the service manual and couldn't find anything that associates the lights, wipers and Selective ride. It wouldn't be the first time that things like this aren't easy to find. Anyway I'll keep looking.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:53 PM
TripleBlackZ06
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Schooled too!
Old 01-01-2023, 05:15 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks like its been years since someone posted on this thread.. I've owned my ZR1 for 5 years and I noticed the lights on the selective ride **** were not on... I almost ordered a new ****,, thinking it was bad,,, and then found this thread.... I got my car inspected the otherday and I guess the guy messed with my headlight settings when inspecting the car.. Bottom line is the selective ride **** lights were not working... Now everything is back to normal and hav the illumination back on the ****..... All back to normal now....

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...