Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:16 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Suspension control **** problem for all ZR1s...

It seems to be a programming flaw but I wanted to start a specific thread based on an earlier thread started by VasMan just in case others notice the same "problem"

Here's the problem...

If your lights are set to auto in the daytime so that the headlights aren't prompted by the system to be turned on, and you turn your parking lights and/or headlights on manually, the illuminated suspension control **** shuts completely off. Not even a dim illumination.

Although it seems like a minor issue and doesn't affect the performance of the suspension (as far as I know), it doesn't make any sense that GM intentionally programmed the system that way, and I for one think should be corrected.

So far this has been proven on 3 separate ZR1s...a '10, '11 and '12 model year.

Please test your cars when you can and post your results on this thread. I will forward this thread to Chevy customer service and hopefully he or she will forward it to someone in the know for a response.

Thanks in advance for you participation.
Scott
Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Forgot to mention that this may also include Z06s with mag ride as well.

Mine has the "issue" 2010 ZR1.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just checked my 2010. With the engine off and the lights turned on manually, the tiny "pointer" light illuminates in the straight ahead position evidently to help locate the ****. With the engine running, all lights come on the way they should. Did you check yours with the engine on and off?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
RedSSR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
It seems to be a programming flaw but I wanted to start a specific thread based on an earlier thread started by VasMan just in case others notice the same "problem"

Here's the problem...

If your lights are set to auto in the daytime so that the headlights aren't prompted by the system to be turned on, and you turn your parking lights and/or headlights on manually, the illuminated suspension control **** shuts completely off. Not even a dim illumination.

Although it seems like a minor issue and doesn't affect the performance of the suspension (as far as I know), it doesn't make any sense that GM intentionally programmed the system that way, and I for one think should be corrected.

Please test your cars when you can and post your results on this thread. I will forward this thread to Chevy customer service and hopefully he or she will forward it to someone in the know for a response.

Scott
MIne does the same thing and I thought I had a problem. I just didn't want to take it in for this. You are right, I can't believe it was designed this way.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
VasMan
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the problem...

Scott

I too think It should be corrected.

When you guys post make sure you follow all the process. It is easy to skip a step and say it works.

Process is:

1/ Daytime with enough light so your headlights are off when in AUTO (engine on or off does not matter, do not do it in your garage it will not work)

2/Turn on your lights manually (any lights fog lights corner markers or headlights your call)

3/ Check your ride control, and traction control buttons.
If it is like ours there would be no illuminated text or sign

Last edited by VasMan; 03-15-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Just checked my 2010. With the engine off and the lights turned on manually, the tiny "pointer" light illuminates in the straight ahead position evidently to help locate the ****. With the engine running, all lights come on the way they should. Did you check yours with the engine on and off?
Your car can be just on, or running. Your car also must be in the daylight or with a flashlight on the sensor to emulate daylight, when you lights turn themselves off in auto mode, then turn your headlights on manually to see if your suspension control **** goes black.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Reaccomplished and it works the way you've said, all dark when manual lights on.
Your car can be just on, or running. Your car also must be in the daylight or with a flashlight on the sensor to emulate daylight, when you lights turn themselves off in auto mode, then turn your headlights on manually to see if your suspension control **** goes black.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedSSR
Mine does the same thing and I thought I had a problem.
Seems as though we all do so far...

Originally Posted by VasMan
I too think It should be corrected.

Re-accomplished and it works the way you've said, all dark when manual lights on.
Yup...that's 5 out of 5 counting Alvin that hasn't posted on this thread yet.

Anyone else?...
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes. I checked mine yesterday and it works just like the others.

Alvin
Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
B-ZR1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just checked and my 2012 is the same way
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

mine too
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Fizzex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it's daylight the lights automatically shutoff, by design. However, if you manually turn on the headlamps during the day the ride control selector does not illuminate because, wait for it,...it's not the headlamps. In other words, the car is smarter than you are.

This sounds like "Let's see if I can make something not work the way *I* think it should so I can complain about it".

During the daytime you can see the ride selector without it being illuminated. If not, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving because clearly your eyesight is poor.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 AM
outbackfarmer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I had never been around a ZR1 until mid Feb, when I picked mine up and drove it 1700 miles home. On the way home I noticed the **** not illuminated a couple of times. So I had it in for other warranty work and told them the illumination did not work all the time. When I picked the car up the paperwork showed "problem could not be replicated, No action". I bet I was messing with the lights. I thought something was wrong with it.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 AM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine too
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Fizzex
During the daytime you can see the ride selector without it being illuminated. If not, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving because clearly your eyesight is poor.
I think you're being a bit ignorant and overly simplistic on the matter. The issue at attention here is whether you can see the line and text on the **** if the lights are on during the day. As you know, the 2010+ ZR1s have PTM, which uses the same **** as the ride selector. Depending on what driving mode the car is in, the ****'s text changes between the suspension settings and the PTM settings.

With the lights on, it's impossible to see what mode the **** is in (ride selector or PTM) because the text that's normally illuminated is dimmed dramatically.

It's got nothing to do with eyesight. Nice try.

jas
The following users liked this post:
SteveDoten@ARH (06-22-2016)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll check mine when I get the car next week.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fizzex
This sounds like "Let's see if I can make something not work the way *I* think it should so I can complain about it".

The above is not the case whatsoever, and if you had one you would understand the problem.

If the the control **** is "blacked out" you'll have a hard time with a bionic eye determining the outline of the script on it.

As stated in the first post, it will have "no" illumination with the lights on during the day, so to try and use it under these conditions while driving, renders it either useless or dangerous because it will take more than a second or two to figure out the script that is non-existent.

IMO it should be programmed to operate at dim illumination with the lights on during the day, just as it does in auto mode.

For example: In auto, the lights come on and the control **** and dash lights dim. That makes sense and I'm sure the current programming is just a mistake that hasn't been caught until now.

Originally Posted by jvp
With the lights on, it's impossible to see what mode the **** is in (ride selector or PTM) because the text that's normally illuminated is dimmed dramatically (it's black at this point)

It's got nothing to do with eyesight. Nice try.

jas

jas, keep in mind that with the lights manually on during the day, the selector **** is not dramatically dim, it's completely black..."off"

You have absolutely no way of knowing what suspension mode you're in.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...

Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I checked out the function today by switching suspension modes while it was blacked out. It still changes from tour to sport or vice versa, you just can't see it until you turn the lights back to auto. Annoying perhaps, but I'm not seeing any safety issue as I can't tell the difference between tour and sport anyway.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I'll have to check mine next time out ('10 ZR1). But I suspect I will just confirm the same findings.

Seems to me the "right programming" would be to have the console-mounted selector **** dimly illuminated at all times when the car is on,
regardless of the headlight switch setting/position. One should have nothing to do with the other...
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

I checked out the function today by switching suspension modes while it was blacked out. It still changes from tour to sport or vice versa, you just can't see it until you turn the lights back to auto. Annoying perhaps, but I'm not seeing any safety issue as I can't tell the difference between tour and sport anyway.

Although it does tie in to one of the main features of the ZR1 which is the MSRC.

And I don't want to pull the $100,000 card but I will...

Just saying as Gary mentioned above, this should stay on to at least the dim mode when the car is on no matter what you do with the headlight function.

There's no good reason for it to turn off (that I can see). GM made a mistake with one of the main features of the car and it should be an easy programming fix.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...