Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need advice on torque tube disconnect during engine removal

Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need advice on torque tube disconnect during engine removal

I am pulling the motor out and want to know how/if the motor and clutch will separate from the torque tube so I can pull the motor out of the top and leave the torque tube installed. I have seen some articles about separating the torque tube from the bell housing (for a clutch change) but nothing showing the engine going out of the top and leaving the drivetrain in. Will the engine just slide forward and out? Or do ou have to unbolt the torque tube housing and "driveshaft" inside of it? Pictures and advice would be appreciated. Oh, and I have my headers out, heads off and intake manifold off.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ANGRY Z
I am pulling the motor out and want to know how/if the motor and clutch will separate from the torque tube so I can pull the motor out of the top and leave the torque tube installed. I have seen some articles about separating the torque tube from the bell housing (for a clutch change) but nothing showing the engine going out of the top and leaving the drivetrain in. Will the engine just slide forward and out? Or do ou have to unbolt the torque tube housing and "driveshaft" inside of it? Pictures and advice would be appreciated. Oh, and I have my headers out, heads off and intake manifold off.
With the bellhousing unbolted from the engine it will just slide out. The input shaft engages the clutch with splines through the clutch disks and into the pilot bearing. There is nothing inside the bellhousing holding the engine with clutch to the drivetrain.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Need advice on torque tube disconnect during engine removal