Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any beach house owners have salt corrosion issues with your Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
carlsbad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any beach house owners have salt corrosion issues with your Z

Any beach house owners have salt corrosion issues with your Z. Does living near the beach make your car corrode from the salt air?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only on my yacht - I have a large climate-controlled garage for the Z and my other exotic cars. Since my business has me in Europe quite often, I have a small personal staff that stays on the compound at all times, and thus services my vehicles - including the Z.

Even if I were of the "working class" type, I doubt the salty air would do much more than mild discoloration of the clear-coated parts, like the wheels.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
Only on my yacht - I have a large climate-controlled garage for the Z and my other exotic cars. Since my business has me in Europe quite often, I have a small personal staff that stays on the compound at all times, and thus services my vehicles - including the Z.

Even if I were of the "working class" type, I doubt the salty air would do much more than mild discoloration of the clear-coated parts, like the wheels.

Life is pretty bad for the rest of us "working class" type people as we have no one to polish our corroded alternators.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

My parents place is about 3/4 mile from the beach and my car sat there for a while with no issues. I wouldn't be concerned about the salt air.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I lived across the street from the ocean for about a year and the salt air did more damage to the chrome on my Harley in that time than you could imagine. The bike was garaged but that didn't deter the corrosion.

At that time I was Vette-less but I would say that about 4-5 years of that would have completely ruined my bike, a car might be good for a little longer but not much.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Doesn't seem to be an issue, should be but I haven't noticed anything. I live right on the waters edge, my computers and TV's last about two years.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84

The air is quite salty in ohio - especially salty near the kentucky boarder Is the small personal staff that maintains your car family tree straight as a pool stick?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-29-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
The air is quite salty in ohio - especially salty near the kentucky boarder Is the small personal staff that maintains your car family tree straight as a pool stick?
Nice!!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 AM
ritzz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlsbad
Any beach house owners have salt corrosion issues with your Z. Does living near the beach make your car corrode from the salt air?
Having owned sailboats sailed in saltwater, even anodized aluminum will corrode in time. What about that aluminum frame, hmmmm?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My family has a beach house in Santa Barbara. Everything corrodes really fast. I haven't noticed any damage to cars but all the light fixtures/etc rust out really quick. We have never kept a car there long enough to see long term effects since it is just a weekend house.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 AM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I live at the Beach in NJ here and I can't speak for the Z since I only got it in December but.... it's definately a B*tch to corrosive metals. I can't remember anyone I know with a Z that lives near me complaining specifically about their car though. Good question....
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 383vett
Life is pretty bad for the rest of us "working class" type people as we have no one to polish our corroded alternators.

Get notified of new replies

To Any beach house owners have salt corrosion issues with your Z

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any beach house owners have salt corrosion issues with your Z