Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another test drove a ZR1 story, and 2012 seats opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
The new seats do NOTHING more than the old seats but they look better. I wasn't impressed at all. Most likely its my body type. I'm 6' 150lbs.
Been hearing this a lot lately about the seats but definitely agree they look nicer. Wow, can't believe you're 6' and only 150lbs. On the other hand I'm 6' and 225lbs.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
As he has openly stated he is moving back to the Z because of financial comfort NOT because it's a better car/performer.
Not the only reason, he also said he feels he has some unfinished business to take care of with the C6ZO6 to run a daily driver "VERY VERY aggressive Heads/Cam package. My goal will be to run 9.7X's with a Heads/cam 6speed C6Z06"
Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Actually .3 or so secs on stock tires but .5 secs on DR's.

(ZR1) Fartpipe= 10.2@135mph
(Z06) Ranger= 10.7@130mph
Both on DR's and note that mph difference. The LS9 is a freight train up top by comparison. Just keeping the facts straight folks.

You know one thing I've noticed too is that Z06 guys are the only ones I see trying to justify their ride/purchase/whatever over another Vette model. I never hear of base guys driving GS's and making comparisons to back-up their decision to buy a base, or GS guys driving Z's making comparisons to then back-up their decision to buy a GS. What's with you guys?

ZR1 is 200 lb's more but 133 more HP.

So lets bench race... Whats the DT loss? 12% on both the Z06 and ZR1? Excuse me if im wrong im new to the Vette scene.

562 rwhp for the ZR1
445 rwhp for the Z06

200 more lb for the ZR1 + .2 10th

10 rwhp for .1?

117 more rwhp in the ZR1. About 1.1 second advantage over the Z06 then minus the weight -.2 Roughly .9 over the ZR1

Yeah.. it better put 5 10th's and 5 mhp trap on the Z06. Its not an equal match.

The ZR1 is just sick... I cant imagine that much more whp being called equal to the Z06.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by propain
ZR1 is 200 lb's more but 133 more HP.

So lets bench race... Whats the DT loss? 12% on both the Z06 and ZR1? Excuse me if im wrong im new to the Vette scene.

562 rwhp for the ZR1
445 rwhp for the Z06

200 more lb for the ZR1 + .2 10th

10 rwhp for .1?

117 more rwhp in the ZR1. About 1.1 second advantage over the Z06 then minus the weight -.2 Roughly .9 over the ZR1

Yeah.. it better put 5 10th's and 5 mhp trap on the Z06. Its not an equal match.

The ZR1 is just sick... I cant imagine that much more whp being called equal to the Z06.
But this is not proving to be the case... The 1/4 mile results and road course results are showing results way closer for the extra 133 HP that the ZR1 has over the ZO6...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike NY
ZO6 or ZR1, your still driving one of the fastest cars on the road in the country!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:54 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

But this is not proving to be the case... The 1/4 mile results and road course results are showing results way closer for the extra 133 HP that the ZR1 has over the ZO6...
What is a more realistic result then between the two? I noticed watching them both go down the 1/4 the gearing seems to be different. It seems to need to shift into 4th earlier than the Z06.

I was just going by Fartpipes times. For me the ZR1 is amazing and a sick track car but I rarely road course. I am more of a 1/4 mile guy to its true potential would never be realized. Most likely I would never get a ZR1 for this reason...

But after watching a ZR1 pull both fronts off the ground bone stock on drags I almost changed my mind. LOL
Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

You know one thing I've noticed too is that Z06 guys are the only ones I see trying to justify their ride/purchase/whatever over another Vette model. I never hear of base guys driving GS's and making comparisons to back-up their decision to buy a base, or GS guys driving Z's making comparisons to then back-up their decision to buy a GS. What's with you guys?
Uhhh.....you do frequent the C6 general section...right?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not the only reason, he also said he feels he has some unfinished business to take care of with the C6ZO6 to run a daily driver "VERY VERY aggressive Heads/Cam package. My goal will be to run 9.7X's with a Heads/cam 6speed C6Z06"
Really? All being adults here everyone knows financials come BEFORE "unfinished business". No need to find other reasons for the downgrade. The man was honest enough to say why and you're looking past that PRIMARY reason to make it something else.

Originally Posted by LFZ
Uhhh.....you do frequent the C6 general section...right?
I do, but look at where the conversation has gone above. Honestly speaking, I saw the GS vs Z stuff back when the GS came about(understandably) but haven't noticed so much now. But that's just when I've visited that section so I could have missed those threads.

Last edited by LEAVINU; 04-04-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I've had both. Love both the Z and the ZR. Turbo, that test involved the short track at SM - the radical loop, where the Z does in fact have an advantage over the ZR, b/c it's a bit lighter and more "tossable". The ZR shines where it can stretch its legs and leverage its hp and torque advantage. That's why you see it on top on the larger tracks. You see it at the end of the 1/4 mile for example with the trap speeds, and the ZR continues to pull hard on up from there. Standing mile speeds are 12 -14 mph diff b/n the two bone stock.

Not that any of this really matters at the end of the day. They both are great cars. I enjoyed my Z, and am loving the ZR. Whether the price diff is "worth it" to somebody to move from a Z to a ZR is a purely personal and subjective question only that person can answer.

What I'll tell after having both, there really isn't a wrong anwer to it. The current Z and ZR are the best Corvettes the world has ever seen. Bar none.

I have no idea how C7 is going to top these.
A more "upscale" interior would be my guess.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
BenDiem
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I've had both. Love both the Z and the ZR. Turbo, that test involved the short track at SM - the radical loop, where the Z does in fact have an advantage over the ZR, b/c it's a bit lighter and more "tossable". The ZR shines where it can stretch its legs and leverage its hp and torque advantage. That's why you see it on top on the larger tracks. You see it at the end of the 1/4 mile for example with the trap speeds, and the ZR continues to pull hard on up from there. Standing mile speeds are 12 -14 mph diff b/n the two bone stock.

Not that any of this really matters at the end of the day. They both are great cars. I enjoyed my Z, and am loving the ZR. Whether the price diff is "worth it" to somebody to move from a Z to a ZR is a purely personal and subjective question only that person can answer.

What I'll tell after having both, there really isn't a wrong anwer to it. The current Z and ZR are the best Corvettes the world has ever seen. Bar none.

I have no idea how C7 is going to top these.
^^^ Great response!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 PM
patrickboyle
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say ... I agree 110% I love my 427
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

You guys are idiots.
Especially the poster.
I don't know what the hell you're all trying to say.....
Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Yup, I had ZR1 fever a couple of months ago. So instead I took the money I would of spent to trade up from my 09 Z06 and built a pool With the change left over I am thinking of sending Z06 to either Lingenfelter or Katech. Alls well that ends well
Same here.

Trading in my 2006 Z06 on a ZR1 would have left about a $65K gap.

I bought a new truck and have a trailer on the way, and have spent at least $25K less on both the new truck and the trailer, than I would have spent had I gone ahead and traded up from my Z06 to the ZR1.

Take a "gander" at the "Grey Goose" below. (Well, y'all already knew about the '06 Quicksilver Z06. Say hello to The Grey Goose)

Also on a side note, I installed a catch can on The Goose, and will probably be doing so for the Z06.

I figure what's good for the Goose is good for the gander.

Have this car hauler coming.

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
http://www.econotrailer.com/CAR.html

ET15-102
21 ft. Total Length
2 or 4 Wheel Brakes
Curb Weight 1350 lb.

Standard Features:

7000 lb. G.V.W
3500 lb. Dexter Axles
8'6" Overall Width
6'11" Clearance Between Fenders
Diamond Plate Fenders with Full Inner Panels
9" Fender Height above Runways
Diamond Plate Runways 19.5" wide
4" Channel Steel Frame
5' Slide Out Diamond Plate Ramps
5' Beaver Tail Dropped 3"
14" 10 Ply Rated Tires
10" Electric Brakes
16" Loading Height
Safety Chains
Tongue Jack Set back to Clear Tailgate
Dropped Rear Crossmember for Clearance
2 5/16 Ball Coupler
LED Lighting
Anti-Rust Sealer & Black Enamel

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...st-down-3.html

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-04-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Same here.

Trading in my 2006 Z06 on a ZR1 would have left about a $65K gap.

I bought a new truck and have a trailer on the way, and have spent at least $25K less on both the new truck and the trailer, than I would have spent had I gone ahead and traded up from my Z06 to the ZR1.

Take a "gander" at the "Grey Goose" below. (Well, y'all already knew about the '06 Quicksilver Z06. Say hello to The Grey Goose)

Also on a side note, I installed a catch can on The Goose, and will probably be doing so for the Z06.

I figure what's good for the Goose is good for the gander.

Have this car hauler coming.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...st-down-3.html

I saw the pic of that car Hauler and sadi that looks so close to a hauler I had. I then saw the brand....Ecnotrailer...Thats it. Mine was back in the late 1990's. Great trailer just the paint was very thin and rusted very quick. My bro in law purchase one also. He repainted his right away. Enjoy!!
Dennis
Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
You guys are idiots.
Especially the poster.
I don't know what the hell you're all trying to say.....
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I like pie...

Wait, before I leave...it's been almost 8 years since the inception of the C6Z and 5 years for the ZR1 yet some of you are still trying to justify your purchase???

Just come to terms with what the ZR1 and the Z06 really are and move on...the justifying is just sad.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
^^^ Great response!
X2

Get notified of new replies

To Another test drove a ZR1 story, and 2012 seats opinion.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Actually .3 or so secs on stock tires but .5 secs on DR's.

(ZR1) Fartpipe= 10.2@135mph
(Z06) Ranger= 10.7@130mph
Both on DR's and note that mph difference. The LS9 is a freight train up top by comparison. Just keeping the facts straight folks.

You must be joking. How soon people forget the GS v. Z06 wars. Anyone caught defending the Z06 was labeled a "HATER" and dismissed for trying to justify their purchase.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Really? All being adults here everyone knows financials come BEFORE "unfinished business". No need to find other reasons for the downgrade. The man was honest enough to say why and you're looking past that PRIMARY reason to make it something else.

I am being an adult, give me a break dude you cherry picked Fartpipe's reason to backup your statement. All I did was mention the rest of his reasoning... He's clearly stated he's going VERY VERY aggressive heads and cam setup so perhaps money is NOT the primary reason.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
OP, based on your description of the test drive, the overall condition of the car, and the totality of your writeup, I have concluded that the ZR1 probably needed a tuneup. More than likely, it had a disconnected plug wire (or two).
You know, maybe. It really was in bad shape. I can't believe they let a $100,000 car sit outside like that. Honestly, I couldn't believe they let me drive it LOL

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another test drove a ZR1 story, and 2012 seats opinion.