Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] First time to the strip in my 441ci Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default First time to the strip in my 441ci Z06

Finally after 2+ years I got the chance to go to the track in my Z06. Neither me nor the car was ready for this LOL.

I picked up the car at 1am, 7 hours before the track. A big Thanks to Bret and the guys at Racing Engine Design in Colorado for staying that late to finish the car!!!! I had my roll-bar installed, new fuel system, and couple other things.

Car was not tuned with the new fuel system. I was seeing about 0.9 Deg knock in 2nd gear and 2.1 degs in 3rd and 4th. not sure if it pulls a lot of timing with that little knock or not. hopefully will get it tuned when my nitrous system is ready. I know its not really a smart thing to do without checking the tune, but I did a log and only saw little knock so I thought it will be fine especially since I am not running a lot of timing with the current setup/tune and it was actually rich.

car made ~505whp uncorrected in Nov 2011. but the tune was not changed ever since (New CAI, new fuel system, and few other minor things).

My best for the day was 11.1@127mph with a 1.77 60ft. 2nd gear burnout, 5200 Launch RPM. This was with no power shifting at all and kinda slow shifts (check the vid). I was doing 6400-6500RPM shifts since the car was not tuned. I should have went higher maybe 6800 or so but oh well.... when I am sure the tune is ok and everything is perfect I will beat the hell out of the car and try everything.

DA was about 6800ft. I was really holding the car back due to my driving experience. I have no doubts that the car would have run a 10.8 with a good driver in that same day. if not even better! I just couldnt. I sucked really at everything I couldnt even do a decent burnout

I really didnt feel good about this day at all and I was tired (only slept for 3 hours!) which was the biggest struggle I faced. I was scared of breaking something considering my luck in the past and no matter what I did, I just couldnt relax. I never felt that way in the past!! never!! I always drive the car like I stole it haha but couldn't do it this time. which I kinda understand since I have a lot of money into the car and engine. and this was the first time ever to race it and test it all.

I broke my main belt in my third run which made me even more scared of running the car. I have not raced this car AT ALL after the build (over 2 years!!) not even in the streets, which I guess was the main reason why I was feeling that way. you guys should have seen me, I couldnt stop shaking when I was pulling to the tree. especially the first few runs LOL

But I feel more confident in the car now. and I think I will be more relaxed next time I am out!!!

I managed to do a total of 9 runs. but only about 5 complete runs. I still need to figure out tire pressure and launch RPM, but I think I kinda have an idea now. with a little more practice and seat time, I think I will be able to run 10.9-10.8 with a good 60ft (or better!).

here is a quick vid I made (I dont have my best run on vid)

Track info:

- Bandimere Speedway in Colorado
- Elevation: 5800ft
- 04/07/2012
- DA: 6000-7000ft (Best I have seen!)

Car info:

- 2007 C6 Z06
- T56 Trans
- 441ci
- Heads/Cam/Intake
- Bolt-ons
- RPS BC3
- Complete Stock Suspension
- 615whp/583wtq SAE Corrected (505whp uncorrected)
- 18" Drag Radials on a C5Z wheels (19psi on my best run, 5000RPM)
- Stock front wheels with PS2 (30psi)
- Full Weight - 3320lbs

HD should be available soon after the vid get processed by youtube

10s coming soon I hope with more seat time and a lot more practice! and hopefully 9s with some nitrous (assuming I will be driving better than this )

Last edited by walhan_qtr; 04-10-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM
383ystrim
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Not bad...don't be so hard on yourself. Bandimere is a different animal. Take that thing to Texas or Arizona and it will be a completely different beast.

I did come up for a few hours in the morning...but didn't see you. I was hoping to stop by and say hi...also to check out your car.

Anyhow...until next time.

Be safe and good luck getting your bugs ironed out. I wanna see it on the juice!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thing sounds like a beast, Congrats
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Heck, that is not bad for your DA. You were probably struggling to breath yourself
Old 04-10-2012, 03:03 PM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Good run man shifting at 7000rpm will make a big difference for sure and some launch practice.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Good gosh great ET's for the first time out with the car. I cant wait to hear how she does being revved to 7000rpms on shifts, launched harder better 60ft, no KR. At that DA you're lucky your lungs implode or something Fantastic to hear you out really REALLY enjoying the car!

Curious on the belt snap? How do you do that on a NA car? Is the crank pulley lined up?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

you ve got yourself a 10.5 car all day long at the right altitude and with a little bit more seat time.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 383ystrim
Not bad...don't be so hard on yourself. Bandimere is a different animal. Take that thing to Texas or Arizona and it will be a completely different beast.

I did come up for a few hours in the morning...but didn't see you. I was hoping to stop by and say hi...also to check out your car.

Anyhow...until next time.

Be safe and good luck getting your bugs ironed out. I wanna see it on the juice!
Hey Buddy, yea sorry I picked up the car at 1am and I was diving it around to make sure the fuel pressure is ok and everything else. I went to bed at 6am!!! LOL so didnt make it to the track until late like 11:30 or so. sorry I was looking forward to meeting you.

I understand how Bandimere kills those N/A cars. I believe its the SLOWEST track in the country from what I have read.

hopefully I will take the car a little close to sea-level this summer and see what it will run.

Thanks a lot... new numbers coming SooN I hope
Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Thing sounds like a beast, Congrats
Thank you Sir

Originally Posted by pit-man
Heck, that is not bad for your DA. You were probably struggling to breath yourself

LOL i gotta admit this is FUNNY sad but true. just so that you know, this is as low as it gets. its usually in the ~9000 range (and get as high as 10000+!!!)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Car looks and sounds great man.

Did your camera man say wal lahy lol
Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by venomws7
Good run man shifting at 7000rpm will make a big difference for sure and some launch practice.
yea I bet it will help a lot.... 500RPM will make a huge difference I think with the right 60ft too!

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Good gosh great ET's for the first time out with the car. I cant wait to hear how she does being revved to 7000rpms on shifts, launched harder better 60ft, no KR. At that DA you're lucky your lungs implode or something Fantastic to hear you out really REALLY enjoying the car!

Curious on the belt snap? How do you do that on a NA car? Is the crank pulley lined up?
Thanks I think I did ok. 2+ years is a LONG TIME I even forgot how to do a burnout

I will be back there soon asa the track opens for the public which will be in 3 weeks. that should give me enough time to get the car ready and tune it and make sure everything is ok. LOL yea I wish we can get a nice DA like you guys I honestly didnt enjoy it really just yet. during all my runs I was like should I launch it hard? what if I break my axles? I am not going to power shift, I will not rev it higher than 6400RPM, I will be careful, what if this breaks, what if that breaks, car is not tuned right.....etc I was really going

But I think after this. I can relax a lot more and race the car without worrying about all this. this was a great test for both me and the car. now I feel a lot more comfortable racing it. so all in all I am happy about those times and this day.

The reason the belt snapped is because it was touching the water neck at higher RPMs. It still does, but I will get a shorter built and find a way to move the tensioner a little closer (problem is its already too close to my TB cable, but I am sure I will figure it out, not hard at all) its just I didnt realize it was touching until it broke at the track.

Thanks again

Last edited by walhan_qtr; 04-10-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by camirocz
you ve got yourself a 10.5 car all day long at the right altitude and with a little bit more seat time.
it should be a high 10sec car up here. I would think a very low 10sec maybe even high 9sec car at sea-level N/A of course with the right driver! (Gary, Seb, Ranger, and the famous Fartpipe )

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Car looks and sounds great man.

Did your camera man say wal lahy lol
Thanks.. and yes LOL I think the guy next to him did (he sounded like my brother, but not sure!)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Hey, that's not bad the first time out considering the fatigue and anxiousness. With some rest, seat time, and a better launch, you're looking at mid tens. Keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

DA according to DragTimes was +6863 and your time corrected was:

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
10.198 @ 138.915 MPH
Extensively Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
10.405 @ 135.978 MPH

Both still good for not full dialed in, short shifting, and first time out with it
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Hey, that's not bad the first time out considering the fatigue and anxiousness. With some rest, seat time, and a better launch, you're looking at mid tens. Keep us posted.
Thanks Gary. I dont know about mid 10s. the DA is getting higher and higher now. but I can see high 10s very soon. I will feel a lot better when I get the car tuned and I am a lot more confident in the car and motor after those runs. I will keep you guys updated
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
DA according to DragTimes was +6863 and your time corrected was:

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
10.198 @ 138.915 MPH
Extensively Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
10.405 @ 135.978 MPH

Both still good for not full dialed in, short shifting, and first time out with it
yea that looks right. not too bad I guess. cant wait for the track to open again. I am also getting a new transmission put in very soon which should also help. its just a stock TR6060, but should be better than my T56 and better ratios.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To First time to the strip in my 441ci Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] First time to the strip in my 441ci Z06