Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blown Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
By mis shifts do you mean trying to go 2 to 3 or 1 to 2 and hitting the limiter or going say 3 to 2 trying to hit 4th?
Isn't the rev limiter there for a reason incase of a missed upshift
Nope. the rev limiter will not protect you if you miss shift. It will be in mechanical override at that time. This has been covered on this forum.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought that was the whole point was in case you missed going 2 to 3 or 1 to 2. That you didn't over rev, well that sucks guess I need to be extra careful then only missed like 4times but I don't sit at the limiter I let off real fast
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By mis shifts do you mean trying to go 2 to 3 or 1 to 2 and hitting the limiter or going say 3 to 2 trying to hit 4th?
Isn't the rev limiter there for a reason incase of a missed upshift

Let's say you're on the track, a nice cool evening running in the 1/4. You get off the line really well, let's say a 1.8 60" and you shift into second no problem... now you're approaching the top of third and go to do another seemingly perfect shift at 7k rpm and you accidently shift into first gear again, causing an overrev. The computer can't fix that because it's a manual and you did it. The car may blow, it may not... depends on how quickily you react...
Originally Posted by LSX_NUT
When you shift into 2nd at the top of 3rd gear you experience a mechanical overrev. The rev limiter does not protect you from those. Ask me how I know.
Ouch.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by PHXAZ06
Nobody, including GM, knows how many motors have blown.
So, any extrapolation of the frequency is purely conjecture, and supposition. Call your local Corvette Club - that's certainly scientific
I can say one thing with absolute certainty, though, there are a hell of a lot more dropped valves in the LS7 than the LS3, and there's way more LS3's out there.
Hey I just noticed the slam on the corvette club thing.

Try this experiment. Call them (pick a random club) and ask if anyone heard of ls7 engines blowing up. I challenge you to do it. I can guarantee you the answer will be no. Then ask them if they know about the roof issue, or even the 2006 rear ends. I can almost gurantee you that everyone will know about the flying roof. Some will know about the bad rear ends (not as many).

So its not even if people have this experience, but if they actually heard of it. Keep in mind, these clubs have their little meetings, etc, and they hear and talk about things. The ls7 blowing up doesnt come up.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I believ all of them have the issue if you drive them hard stock
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Simple solution is to practice driving the car hard. Accidental downshifts at redline are pure driver error and no amount of safeties built into the ECM can save you from yourself if you do stupid things. People who have a problem with this frequently should go ahead and trade the car in for an automatic GS.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I thought that was the whole point was in case you missed going 2 to 3 or 1 to 2. That you didn't over rev, well that sucks guess I need to be extra careful then only missed like 4times but I don't sit at the limiter I let off real fast
Rev limiter helps you avoid over revving the engine with the throttle. I.e. you get in, start up the car, stand on the throttle, it will rev up to the limiter and it will keep it from going any farther.

If you're accelerating in a gear and not paying any attention to your rpms - the rev limiter will keep you from over-revving the engine.

But - if you down shift into a lower gear, thinking you're upshifting into the next gear (i.e. in 3rd, think you're shifting to 4th, but hit 2nd instead), you can mechanically over-rev the engine and do some major damage.

The rev limiter is fuel/spark control - it can't stop a mechanical over-rev.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

Here we go again.....
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
and how do you know that about the LS3?? How many total LS3 Vette owners are registered on this forum..and how do you know there are people that have had an LS3 go down and not report it?

peolple might laugh at him calling Corvette Clubs....but people who are coming to a conclusion about the LS7 based on the small fraction of ownership here on the forum are doing the Same thing

I think it;s also interesting that a lot of these failures, people just by default blame the motor...out of all the failures posted here...not 1 was caused by installation error...do you think a vendor is going to come on and admit they screwed an install and it blew LOL I highly doubt it. .. not one failure was driver mistake, over revved, mis-shift? Not one failure was a faulty aftermarket part?? or a tune?
I simply took Jason at Katech's word for it. Zero LS3 valve problems.

You ask for the impossible, as I stated. Not even GM has the data, and without the data, well, it's conjecture.

Every other thread in this forum is about a blown motor - a new one every week.

Don't worry, yours won't blow....
Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It is all mechanical forces a rev limiter cannot prevent. The transmission will turn the motor over, and if its a downshift, revs will go up.

At 30mph, that about 2300rpm in 2nd.
At 60mph, you're doing nearly 4750rpm.
At 120mph, its 9.5k~ rpm.
At 180mph its 13k~+ rpm.

If you're at 120mph in 3rd and attempting to shift to 4th but throw it into 2nd instead, you're looking at around 9.5~k rpm. BOOM!

Rev limiters are just cutoff fuel which prevents the motor from revving on its own further. It won't save the transmission from turning the engine over on a botched downshift.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Oh ok misunderstanding, I was gonna say what is the point of it then. Luckily I'm not that retarded to go 3 to 2 at WOT lol. I didn't even think that's a common thing lol
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by PHXAZ06
I simply took Jason at Katech's word for it. Zero LS3 valve problems.

You ask for the impossible, as I stated. Not even GM has the data, and without the data, well, it's conjecture.

Every other thread in this forum is about a blown motor - a new one every week.

Don't worry, yours won't blow....
Every other thread in this forum is not about a blown motor...most of them are the same ol threads dreged up so folks can keep arguing... or a person asking about a blown motor, or what year had a problem because they've bought into the fact these motors are flawed.

You know what I think is impossible?? People who mod the car and take it outside of what it was designed to do, and then fault it when it goes kaboom. Like I said, all the modded blown motors..you don't think a single one was due to a mis-shift, faulty aftermarket part, issue with a tune or install? I also don't trust that some folks are providing the whole story here on some of these motors..but again as you stated , it is impossible to know that.

Yes, there are 2 new ones this week...both MODDED and one that saw 24k track miles...so Yea I tend to agree with you... I am not the least bit concerned mine will blow up.

GM would have never kept producing them all these years if there truly was an issue, nor would they have bothered to put the motor in the 427 Vert Edition that is coming out.

Last edited by FrankTank; 04-17-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HyperX
Hey I just noticed the slam on the corvette club thing.

Try this experiment. Call them (pick a random club) and ask if anyone heard of ls7 engines blowing up. I challenge you to do it. I can guarantee you the answer will be no. Then ask them if they know about the roof issue, or even the 2006 rear ends. I can almost gurantee you that everyone will know about the flying roof. Some will know about the bad rear ends (not as many).

So its not even if people have this experience, but if they actually heard of it. Keep in mind, these clubs have their little meetings, etc, and they hear and talk about things. The ls7 blowing up doesnt come up.
This doesn't necessarily reflect my stance on whether or not this is an issue, but in my mind the challenge with calling the local Corvette Club is that very few of the members drive their car hard or do much if any power mods.

As far as I can tell, they're mostly full of waxers who put minimal miles on their car and sometimes they have the occasional hot shoe and heavy modder here and there. Given we think this issue occurs with aggressive power mods (cams) and hard driving, its not unreasonable to think that most Corvette Club members won't know of the problem.

The de-laminating roof is a bit more widely known because it affected every car (within that year), GM had a public TSB on it, and it doesn't matter how hard the car is driven, it just happened, even to waxers.

So in short, I agree that if you call up your local Corvette club, you're unlikely to hear about any reported problems, but I do not feel they're the best source of input based their driving style and how we think the problem is generated.

If it means anything, I took my other car out to a local track day event and when speaking to a Viper owner about Z06s, he even specifically mentioned dropped valves in Z06s. My friend who has zero affiliation/background with Corvettes but is considering a Z06, mentioned he heard of 'engine problems' in these cars when he was asking his car's forum about them. So word has certainly gotten around.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Oh ok misunderstanding, I was gonna say what is the point of it then. Luckily I'm not that retarded to go 3 to 2 at WOT lol. I didn't even think that's a common thing lol
LOL. Unfortunately it does happen. The gates between 2nd and 4th are less than an inch away. Its not far fetched to think its possible to mess up a shift in a WOT run and accidentally throw it in the wrong gear.

This type of mis-shift is commonly known as the 'money shift'. You can probably guess why
Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
If it means anything, I took my other car out to a local track day event and when speaking to a Viper owner about Z06s, he even specifically mentioned dropped valves in Z06s. My friend who has zero affiliation/background with Corvettes but is considering a Z06, mentioned he heard of 'engine problems' in these cars when he was asking his car's forum about them. So word has certainly gotten around.

Many posters here cross-post in other enthusiast forums - very much like the Ferrari or even Camaro forums. A lot of cross-talk, so yes: on the internet, word travels fast.

But that doesn't mean that it's a wide-spread problem, in that Joe Public is going to be asking his local dealer about the issue.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Random84
Many posters here cross-post in other enthusiast forums - very much like the Ferrari or even Camaro forums. A lot of cross-talk, so yes: on the internet, word travels fast.

But that doesn't mean that it's a wide-spread problem, in that Joe Public is going to be asking his local dealer about the issue.
as someone posted the other day.... things are just made more public now because of the internet

people have been blowing modded motors they raced since hot rodding has been around... you just hear more about it now becaues of the internet.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Lol money shift. Ya Corvette clubs aren't the best place to ask I've never seen a guy in one floor their car lol. Best bet is to go the track or street races and ask or check on here those are mainly the people who actually push their car.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown Engine

Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Im not suggesting this is a problem or whether it is wide spread or isolated, I am just simply stating that 'word has gotten around'.

This was on a Honda forum by the way
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You have a real reputable shop on the LSx community, out of curiosity how many LS7s have you had come in blown up and how many roughly have you worked on?
We try to prevent the problem before it happens. Whenever i sell a cam package to someone i always STRONGLY recommend them getting the exh valves replaces. I would say i have seen it happen to 10-15 personally and NUMEROUS others on the forum.

I couldnt even begin to estimate how many LS7's ive worked on. 100's
Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Thanks, out of those 10-15 did they have a cam without doing heads or exhaust valves like you recommend? I figured you'd have some insight since you seem to work on a ton of LSx cars

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blown Engine