Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blown Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Oh ok misunderstanding, I was gonna say what is the point of it then. Luckily I'm not that retarded to go 3 to 2 at WOT lol. I didn't even think that's a common thing lol
could be more common than you think, on track doing a buck 20 in third corner coming, traffic, mind gets side tracked and you need second gear and you shift only to find out your still at 103mph, wa la over rev. A couple weeks later you drop a valve on way to the store.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
hoefi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
could be more common than you think, on track doing a buck 20 in third corner coming, traffic, mind gets side tracked and you need second gear and you shift only to find out your still at 103mph, wa la over rev. A couple weeks later you drop a valve on way to the store.
I wish the explanation of dropped valve is that simple. If that was the cause, you wouldn't find the head break off just above the head, right where the welded joint was, it would break further up the stem.

Have you ever examined a blown LS7 with a dropped valve (over reved or not)? Have you ever examined ANY blown engine with a dropped valve? No, I didn't think so. Enough said.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
timber wolf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
We try to prevent the problem before it happens. Whenever i sell a cam package to someone i always STRONGLY recommend them getting the exh valves replaces. I would say i have seen it happen to 10-15 personally and NUMEROUS others on the forum.

I couldnt even begin to estimate how many LS7's ive worked on. 100's
Just responding to LS7 Drew's question. Out of those 10-15 failures did any have the preventative upgrades done to them?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Z066666
Intermediate

There are so many C6 Z06s with 40, 50 even 75k on them that are bone stock or close to it This subject has 98% to due with the person in the drivers seat not the LS7 but the talk scares so many people from this awesome car.
The grand sport is a funny thing just enough added horse power to move those massive Z06 size wheels and tires to basically the same performance numbers as a C6 coupe and all just to look like the awesome Z06.
I would love to take all detractors for a ride in my red 570hp Z06 I paid 45k cash for. It came with 4024 miles lowered on springs with black spiders and I did the carbon fiber side skirts and front splitter, full Akrapovic with headers, cold air intake and tune. It looks awesome and runs like the beast it is, there's nothing like firing up those 427 cubic inches
I'd love to have a Zr1s they are the real deal but Im not dropping that much cash at this time
I know how to drive, keep the oil fresh and full and always let her warm up first...But if the need for an 650hp LSX or Katek ever presents its self then...life will get even better. Maybe I'll do it @ 50k mile and sell my LS7 to someone who fires theirs up and raps it out in the drive way to impress the neighbors
BTW anyone who wonders if you can blow up a 505hp 427ci aluminum small block must have not have been raised in a racing culture, please!! there are teenagers at your local drag strip smarter than that. the amazing part is not that you can blow it up but that GM made a actual race car that can go 75k mile without having to rebuild it every two years.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX_NUT
When you shift into 2nd at the top of 3rd gear you experience a mechanical overrev. The rev limiter does not protect you from those. Ask me how I know.
pretty much anything is going to blow when you do this.

A friend in high school blew up his aunts 1971 type 3 VW fastback sedan power shifting from 3 to 2 when he meant to go to 4th.

I bet most of these LS7's that blew up had some sort of user error - either inadequately filled with oil and doing heavy track time, or constant bouncing off the rev limiter or power downshifts.

Those that blew up as their owners reported while nonchalantly idling or driving down the road at 50 mph under 2000 rpm, probably had experienced significant abuse, or improper oil levels or driver error sometime prior to letting loose while humbly cruising down the road.

that being said - I went ahead and sprang 1500 bucks for a GMPP just in case mine blows while gentley cruising down the road

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Unfortunately GM didn't outline a PM program for cars that are tracked every weekend. It's more than just changing oil but I believe they assumed there was an abundance of common sense.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by timber wolf
Just responding to LS7 Drew's question. Out of those 10-15 failures did any have the preventative upgrades done to them?

Thanks
I have never seen one break when it had stainless exh valves.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:38 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

I have never seen one break when it had stainless exh valves.
Do a search on the forum. If you think that over spinning on a premature down shift, floating a stainless valve making contact with piston won’t bend or break it, your either smoking something or out to make a buck. Also as valve springs fatigue with time and use they resonate or float at lower and lower rpms even below the protective rev limiter.

Last edited by jimman; 06-23-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

They all have the problem

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blown Engine