Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Post Warranty LS7 Piece of Mind

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 AM
Go X-15 Go
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These threads are poison. It saddens me that a venerable powerplant like the LS7 had to get its interwebz reputation tarnished by a disgruntled few.

I have seen maintained Spring Mountain track cars get worked on without broken motors, and they get the snot beaten out of them.

I've also seen just as many LS2s get blown up, having owned one the past six years. I guess it's a law of the universe in which forces take down an entity that seems too perfect. Work something too hard, and it will break.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Go X-15 Go
These threads are poison. It saddens me that a venerable powerplant like the LS7 had to get its interwebz reputation tarnished by a disgruntled few.

I have seen maintained Spring Mountain track cars get worked on without broken motors, and they get the snot beaten out of them.

I've also seen just as many LS2s get blown up, having owned one the past six years. I guess it's a law of the universe in which forces take down an entity that seems too perfect. Work something too hard, and it will break.

If you are that worried send it to Katech and have them rebuild the engine with the stock cam and send the transmission and rear end to RPM!

Jim
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Generally shops want around $1,000-1,500 labor just to take the heads off, install new parts and put everything back together. Then you'll be out around $500-1,500 to have bronze guides and a valve job done on the cheap end and porting work and other performance work to make the heads flow better and gain some extra power on the high end. You will have to mail your heads out to do bronze guides and a valve job. The old guides have to be removed or bored out and then new guides are honed in place. Your local shops cant do this work. The don't have the machines or expertise to do this. So on the low end for parts and labor figure $1,500 at the cheapest and $2,500 more realistically. Any performance mods will send these number up considerably. Someone correct me if Im wrong...
you are incorrect. you do not have to mail your heads out. any machine shop that is competent can do this. my heads were done in the Tampa area and heads looked like a piece of art when they returned. my car has been flawless since the heads and cam install.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
SSSUPRA
Advanced

You're both right in a way. If you want the valvetrain repaired you could probably find a local shop thats capable but if you want the heads ported by someone with a great template/program you'll be sending them to somebody like wcch.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Painrace

If you are that worried send it to Katech and have them rebuild the engine with the stock cam and send the transmission and rear end to RPM!

Jim
Right, that's a reasonable alternative to having a warranty (yes it was sarcastic).
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Got my GMPP major guard today from Dennis Fitchner! Went with a 48mo/32K/$0 Deductable. My '09 C6Z only has 6K miles now, but the 36 months is up this month. I was on the fence about extending the warranty as my C5Z is now 9 years old (32K mi) and has been the most reliable car I've owned. Aside from an EBCM issue a few months back, it's given me zero trouble. I just look at my C6Z...and there's WAY too many gadgets in that car that could go bad IMO. No worries now...just going to have to stay with the stock tune for another 4 years though.

If you're even thinking about this, hit Dennis up...he'll get you handled quickly.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 AM
chempowr
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Got my GMPP major guard today from Dennis Fitchner! Went with a 48mo/32K/$0 Deductable. My '09 C6Z only has 6K miles now, but the 36 months is up this month. I was on the fence about extending the warranty as my C5Z is now 9 years old (32K mi) and has been the most reliable car I've owned. Aside from an EBCM issue a few months back, it's given me zero trouble. I just look at my C6Z...and there's WAY too many gadgets in that car that could go bad IMO. No worries now...just going to have to stay with the stock tune for another 4 years though.

If you're even thinking about this, hit Dennis up...he'll get you handled quickly.
Can you pm me his contact info. I need an extended warranty. Thank you
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by chempowr
Can you pm me his contact info. I need an extended warranty. Thank you
PM Sent
Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Handling my money

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I just picked up a comprehensive powertrain warranty on my 07'Z from Fidelity. 6yr, 60k miles AFTER my original warranty had expired. Cost:$1700
I knew that Fidelity was happy to handle my retirement $ but was surprised that they wanted to handle my car as well.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fidelity quoted me $1096 for two years of their platinum coverage. Sounds pretty good. I didn't ask, but any service (with this warranty) can be serviced at my local dealer?
I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go or start modding. I've never left any car stock, I don't think I'll leave this one alone.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Go X-15 Go

Read the original post and pay attention. The person is looking to get peice of mind on his Z and how we can help him get it. We don't give a damn what you think about the merits of his actions. Your post belongs in another thread. This is the main problem of this forum now...meaningless posts.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 06-30-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Voytek
Team Owner

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Just added on a 3/36 on a 2006 Z.

I believe this is the third time it was extended. I waited till a month was left to extend for obvious reasons.

Dennis fichtner
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
c5goodlife
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Good advice Turbooo2u.

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Read the original post and pay attention. The person is looking to get peice of mind on his Z and how we can help him get it. We don't give a damn what you think about the merits of his actions. Your post belongs in another thread. This is the main problem of this forum now...meaningless posts.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Post Warranty LS7 Piece of Mind