Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] '06 Z06 Brake Fluid Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default '06 Z06 Brake Fluid Maintenance

Car has 3800 miles on it; original owner. Corvette Tech at dealership says my car is way overdue for 2-stage brake fluid drain/flush ("should be done every 2 years regardless of mileage; same for the clutch fluid"). He also said the new brake fluid GM recommends is expensive due to the additive (like $29.00/pint). Is this a sales pitch or is he being straight up? Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about the cost of the fluid but members on the forum say you should change out your brake fluid every year. More often if you track your car.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM
barneyz06
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

don't know about special additive, however had mine done at the dealer too. similar situation. bought my 06 z last january with 500 miles on it. they charged me $20 for one pint of brake fluid. even at whopping dealer mark up this seemed like a lot. maybe it does have a "special" additive. i'm the odd one out when it comes to dealers. i have found one i trust and they do all my work except for tires. back to needed service. all fluids were changed. did brake, diff, coolant, oil/filter. check your air filter and cabin air filter for rodent activity. it's a good idea to check the torque of the rear axle nuts. and be aware that the factory original sway bar end links are subject to early retirement. do your own clutch fluid change per ranger method. if the dealer were to do it right, they have to drop part of the exhaust system to access the bleeder valve for the clutch slave cylinder. this would have been around $400. ranger method costs you about $4 for the dot 4 fluid and about 20 minutes of your time. with so few miles on your beast, you might want to be aware of possible flat spots on your tires. pm me for more info on the solution to that one. and by the way, not all of them blow up. enjoy your car.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Look at the specs (boiling points) of this new oil and what are the specs?
Can you get the part #?
Many like Motul brand for example, if tracking the car, that can be near $20 a pint.

Ford Dot 3 is the bang for the buck (OK to use in a Vette)....$6 a pint.
Merc Benz Dot 4 + ......(not to be used in a Vette)....$20 a litre.

The only advantage of a dealer brake flush is the Tech 2 tool opening the ABS circuit as you bleed.

Blake flushes are great DIY projects (if you have an assistance and can remove the four wheels).
Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I do the clutch fluid replacement myself via the ranger method and yes it is easy and saves you money for sure. The corvette tech at the dealer near me says the GM dot 4 fluid is really best over the store bought ones I.E. prestone, valvoline ect. He says it is more like a dot 4 1/2 which has a higher boiling point which is good.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Racing ATE blue. Shop around and you can get it for $16.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If you do the brake fluid change yourself (I have done other cars) does it effect, or include, the ABS portion?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
If you do the brake fluid change yourself (I have done other cars) does it effect, or include, the ABS portion?
No - it doesn't effect the ABS, but it doesn't bleed/flush the ABS circuits either.

Take a look at the StopTech website:

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...l-white-papers

Scroll down to the "Technical Guides" section and click on "Bleeding ABS, is it really as hard as it sounds?"

In there you can read that after doing a normal flush of new clean fluid into your system, you can then go out and do a couple of ABS stops to open the valves to the ABS circuits and get some new fluid into those lines.

However, the old fluid that was is the ABS lines is now out in the main brake system lines, so drive back to your garage and do another flush and you'll have fresh fluid all throughout the entire system.

Bob
Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Had no idea about having to change the brake fluid every couple of years, guess I need to do it on my 06 with 16k miles now. Or is it ok until I do Rotors/Pads maybe next year or this winter and just do it all at once?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Had no idea about having to change the brake fluid every couple of years, guess I need to do it on my 06 with 16k miles now. Or is it ok until I do Rotors/Pads maybe next year or this winter and just do it all at once?
I'd do it now rather than putting it off another year, especially since replacing the rotors/pads next year should only require a topping off of fluid if any, OR, do it all now. Being able to stop these things is far more important than how fast they can go.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by barneyz06
do your own clutch fluid change per ranger method. if the dealer were to do it right, they have to drop part of the exhaust system to access the bleeder valve for the clutch slave cylinder. this would have been around $400. ranger method costs you about $4 for the dot 4 fluid and about 20 minutes of your time.
Yep, that confirms what the Corvette Tech told me. Anyone have the link to the "ranger method for changing the clutch fluid"?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66biskwik
I use the Racing ATE blue. Shop around and you can get it for $16.
I use it also, great stuff. You can switch out the amber and the blue versions so you can tell when its worked its way through.

I use speedbleeders and its a cake job, takes longer to take the wheels off than to change the fluid.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BEZ06
No - it doesn't effect the ABS, but it doesn't bleed/flush the ABS circuits either.

Take a look at the StopTech website:

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...l-white-papers

Scroll down to the "Technical Guides" section and click on "Bleeding ABS, is it really as hard as it sounds?"

In there you can read that after doing a normal flush of new clean fluid into your system, you can then go out and do a couple of ABS stops to open the valves to the ABS circuits and get some new fluid into those lines.

However, the old fluid that was is the ABS lines is now out in the main brake system lines, so drive back to your garage and do another flush and you'll have fresh fluid all throughout the entire system.

Bob
How do you do 'ABS stops" ?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:50 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
How do you do 'ABS stops" ?
Go to that link I posted to the StopTech bulletins and scroll down to "Bleeding ABS, is it really as hard as it sounds?"

In there you can read: "Go driving and slam on the brakes a few times to make the ABS work to purge the used fluid from the unit....You still need to bleed the car a second time, but it saves you from procuring the service tool."

So, activate the ABS - you'll see a DIC message "ABS Active". I do it when it has rained. I have plenty of roads nearby with low traffic and just get to 35 or 40 and stomp on the brake pedal to get the ABS to activate so I see the DIC message.

When I attended Spring Mountain we did a bunch of exercises in their cars on their wet skid pad. The braking exercises were with no ABS (fuse pulled), and then with the ABS. We did a lane change exercise, and with the fuse pulled, when you stomped on the brakes the car was uncotrollable and just skidded uncontrollably when you tried to steer to another lane. With the fuse in, when ABS activated you could easily steer to another lane with max brake pressure applied to the pedal.

So, get a large empty parking lot, or a road with no traffic - after a light rain if possible- and brake very hard from 35-40 mph to activate the ABS and it will open ABS circuit valves and flush some of your fresh fluid into the ABS lines. Of course the old fluid that was in the ABS is now out in the main brake lines, so you'll have to flush again to get totally new/fresh fluid in the entire system.

If you're in a large empty parking lot, try some steering inputs while you've got max brake pressure applied and ABS is active. It will really give you a lot of confidence in how well the system works. When we did the exercises at Spring Mountain they told us to stomp on the brakes really hard and that if we broke the brake pedal they'd give us the car!!! Needless to say everybody was trying to get a free car, so the brakes on the Spring Mounatain cars get a helluva workout and have never been broken, and they get that workout several times a week. So, don't worry about damaging your car's brakes. Also, the tires are not skidding, so you won't be damaging the tread of your tires, especially if you're on a wet surface.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetdude
.....Anyone have the link to the "ranger method for changing the clutch fluid"?
In the "stickies" at the top of this section.

Here ya go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-and-cure.html

Bob
Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 PM
vetdude
Race Director

In the "stickies" at the top of this section.

Here ya go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-and-cure.html

Bob
Thanks mate.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Go to that link I posted to the StopTech bulletins and scroll down to "Bleeding ABS, is it really as hard as it sounds?"

In there you can read: "Go driving and slam on the brakes a few times to make the ABS work to purge the used fluid from the unit....You still need to bleed the car a second time, but it saves you from procuring the service tool."

So, activate the ABS - you'll see a DIC message "ABS Active". I do it when it has rained. I have plenty of roads nearby with low traffic and just get to 35 or 40 and stomp on the brake pedal to get the ABS to activate so I see the DIC message.

When I attended Spring Mountain we did a bunch of exercises in their cars on their wet skid pad. The braking exercises were with no ABS (fuse pulled), and then with the ABS. We did a lane change exercise, and with the fuse pulled, when you stomped on the brakes the car was uncotrollable and just skidded uncontrollably when you tried to steer to another lane. With the fuse in, when ABS activated you could easily steer to another lane with max brake pressure applied to the pedal.

So, get a large empty parking lot, or a road with no traffic - after a light rain if possible- and brake very hard from 35-40 mph to activate the ABS and it will open ABS circuit valves and flush some of your fresh fluid into the ABS lines. Of course the old fluid that was in the ABS is now out in the main brake lines, so you'll have to flush again to get totally new/fresh fluid in the entire system.

If you're in a large empty parking lot, try some steering inputs while you've got max brake pressure applied and ABS is active. It will really give you a lot of confidence in how well the system works. When we did the exercises at Spring Mountain they told us to stomp on the brakes really hard and that if we broke the brake pedal they'd give us the car!!! Needless to say everybody was trying to get a free car, so the brakes on the Spring Mounatain cars get a helluva workout and have never been broken, and they get that workout several times a week. So, don't worry about damaging your car's brakes. Also, the tires are not skidding, so you won't be damaging the tread of your tires, especially if you're on a wet surface.

Bob
Hmm might be a bit tricky since I never drive in the rain. Maybe I will just wet down the tires and perform this test on my street. If that doesent work I might spray them with a bit of antifreeze.

Ive actually already run new brake fluid through the lines but didnt perform this step.

Get notified of new replies

To '06 Z06 Brake Fluid Maintenance

Quick Reply: [Z06] '06 Z06 Brake Fluid Maintenance