Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch Pedal Pressure Issues...Finally Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:05 PM
C6whinnit
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6whinnit
After re-reading the instructions. it sure does say to remove the rubber seal/washer and transfer it to the tick..... Not sure how i missed that line, looks like i'll be back under the car this weekend. DOH!!!!!
Update,
After discovering that i had missed transferring the washer/grommet form the old MS, i just spent the last couple of hours fixing that mistake. The Tick Ms went in just as it was supposed to. (this enplanes why i had so much rotation the last time i installed it) I just took it out for a test run and it feels great, i still have that 1"+ of dead pedal at the top but it sounds like this is normal, I'll readjust the rod as need after driving it for while and maybe re-bleed it if needed.
Thanks to all for the helpful posts during this.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 AM
vvlf
Pro

What are most people here going with in respect to the line? The Shorter or the Longer ?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:36 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Shorter unless you're installing the master at the same time you have the drivetrain out of the car. To install the longer one, you'll have to drop the drivetrain as it plugs into the slave cylinder located inside the torque tube.

Last edited by JUIC3D; 07-30-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
C6whinnit
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vvlf
What are most people here going with in respect to the line? The Shorter or the Longer ?
I did the shorter after polling the group, I did not want to have to drop the drivetrain.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 AM
vvlf
Pro

Originally Posted by Justinjor
Shorter unless you're installing the master at the same time you have the drivetrain out of the car. To install the longer one, you'll have to drop the drivetrain as it plugs into the slave cylinder located inside the torque tube.
Originally Posted by C6whinnit
I did the shorter after polling the group, I did not want to have to drop the drivetrain.
Welp, then shorter it is. Thanks guys, I appreciate the heads up
Old 08-11-2012, 01:24 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

how long does the install usually take?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2 hours
Old 09-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Z06_R1
Advanced

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
CF,

I wanted to share a fix for a clutch pedal pressure issue that I was having.

About 2 years ago, I started noticing that under 2nd and 3rd gear W.O.T. pulls that my clutch would start "Falling" toward the floor which makes it really hard to successfully make a gear change. Sometimes it would fall about 1/2 of the way, sometimes a little more. It seemed that if I took the side of my shoe and pulled it back up while under throttle it would re-gain the pedal pressure, but not for long. Sometimes when running hard I felt like I was using just my big toe to push the clutch down since it felt like it would only travel about ¾ to 1” before hitting the floor. I spoke to several people and I was told it was the dirty fluid (try the Ranger method Times 100), the clutch, the slave cylinder, the heat from the headers causing the fluid to get hot, etc, etc.

Since the car was putting down over 600rwhp and 565rwtq to the tires I thought that a new clutch and slave cylinder would surely be the correct fix. I was probably pushing the limits of the stock LS7 Clutch anyways although it had never slipped and when removed looked almost perfect. I installed the Katech LS9R Clutch, Slave Cylinder and remote bleeder and thought that all my problems would be over. It didn't change anything…… I spoke to several people and got lots of recommendations on what to do, I tried all the things they told me to, changing fluid, wrapping the lines with expensive silver foil tape, zip tying the lines as far away from the headers, etc and finally I sent Jason at Katech a detailed e-mail on exactly what the car was doing asking for his advice. He had his engineers look at it and they told me that my Master Cylinder was probably defective, and I should replace it with a new GM one. I did some research since I didn't want to replace a defective unit with another defective unit (Since this one failed at only 7,000 miles) and it seemed that Tick Performance had a unit for a little over $320 that utilized a Tilton Master Cylinder and adapter bracket. The Tick MS received many praises from the LS1 Trans Am and Camaro forums, so I wanted to give it a try but found limited C6 Corvette owners using it. I finally found a local guy that had the same issues as I did who replaced his GM Master with the Tick and said it cured all of his problems. He had replaced his clutch 3 times thinking it was clutch issues and finally figured it out his pedal pressure problem by using the Tick.

I spoke to Jason who told me that they had installed them before and they worked great once you had them correctly bled and adjusted, which did take some time. I installed mine about 2 weeks ago and once the system was correctly bled and adjusted it cured 100% of all my clutch pedal pressure problems. Since I have been chasing and throwing money at this issue now for over 2 years I finally feel some relief……..I am really happy that it is working perfectly now!

Many Thanks go out to the forum members who helped me with this issue, the local ZO6 owner (ZO6 Modder) who had the Tick in his car and said it fixed his issues and most importantly Jason at Katech who took the time to help me diagnose the problem….CORRECTLY, and for his instructions on how to properly bleed the clutch hydraulic system. THANKS to all of you!!!!!! I am finally able to enjoy the power that this car is putting down!!!
I found this thread and was having the same problems, thanks a ton for posting. I have a question though. I just installed the Tick in my car and was down to the procedure where you pump the pedal by hand and wait for fluid to come out of the hose and I'm getting a dribble of fluid if any. The reservoir is full but when my roommate depresses the clutch pedal nothing happens?? Any ideas? I have the hose hanging and it gravity bleeds fine but when he goes to pump the pedal little to nothing comes out. please help
Old 09-13-2014, 10:26 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

Are you pushing the insert in the end of the line in enough? I couldn't get any fluid out without pressing it in with some force.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:47 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Check the line coming from the tick to The slave. I had the same issue and the line from the tick to the stock line was not snapped in all the way. It has to actually make two snaps. Push it in and try to pull it back. If it comes out that is your problem
Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_R1
I found this thread and was having the same problems, thanks a ton for posting. I have a question though. I just installed the Tick in my car and was down to the procedure where you pump the pedal by hand and wait for fluid to come out of the hose and I'm getting a dribble of fluid if any. The reservoir is full but when my roommate depresses the clutch pedal nothing happens?? Any ideas? I have the hose hanging and it gravity bleeds fine but when he goes to pump the pedal little to nothing comes out. please help
Make sure you adjust the rod so the pedal is about the same height as the brake pedal so you can move more fluid. It shouldnt take much pumps to build pressure. I used an allen key that was a little smaller then the plunger to depress it.

Tilton vs OEM
Name:  velKqi7.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  958.9 KB

Last edited by ttx350z; 09-14-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Z06_R1
Advanced

Hey guys, thanks for the input and advice. I kept doing some research on the Tick and found a thread on LS1 Tech of a guy with a similar problem. He spoke with Martin@Tick, which is a forum member there and he explained the proper technique to bleed the master. So I was following the right technique, it just took alot longer to bleed than I had expected.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 PM
agsbrunson
3rd Gear

Default Stymied Again!

Originally Posted by Carnac
Sounds like a great fix.

I took a look at the Tick web site - they state that the kit only works with 05-08 Corvettes, and that a change in 09 makes them incompatible with 09+ Vettes.

Jim
Reading about the Tick fix, I was overjoyed….and then I came to the "incompatible with 09+ Vettes" post. I'm having the same clutch pedal problem AND I own a 2009 Z06 (naturally) Anybody got the fix for the 09?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

It will physically fit. I just installed one on my 2009 Z06

They say it's incompatible with 2009+ due to the car requiring a clutch pedal position relearn. I've read that the 2005-2008 just had a switch for the clutch pedal while ours uses a rotary style switch.

I did not take my car to the dealer to perform a clutch pedal relearn when I installed mine. My car started with no problems and cruise control works as advertised. I've read that cars requiring a relearn will not allow you to use cruise control because it thinks the clutch is being depressed. The only thing that I did was disconnect the battery when I did my removal and install.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 PM
agsbrunson
3rd Gear

Thanks very much for reply; ANother quick question: This being my first Vette, I'm in the dark. Last week the clutch went to floor, limped 5 miles in 1st gear to garage at 2am. Overnight, engine won't start now. Pedal won't pump up. Corvette repair says slave is internal and have to drop tranny. Does this sound like your experience? Also, limited flat bed tow trucks here have me worried about damage getting it on the bed. Suggestions?
Old 09-15-2014, 07:32 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

This is my first vette as well.

My clutch pedal went to the floor and would not come up either. I can bring it up by hand but pushing it down again yielded no pressure.

Check out my thread on my problem and my fix.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-returned.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch Pedal Pressure Issues...Finally Fixed!