Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Another splitter meets the curb story

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
ATMER1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another splitter meets the curb story

So I'm taking the wife out for Mother's Day breakfast and while pulling forward into a parking space brush the splitter with the curb removing the finish and fiber weave along the pass. corner leading edge in two spots, one 6" the other 3".
No cracks ,chipping, etc. Any possibility of getting this refinished or is it throw it in the garbage and get another?

In any event I have another as a backup but am leery to put it on in case of another hamfisted maneuver, looks like the best reasonable alternative is the C7 Carbon knockoff.

Thanks,
John
12 ZR! #201
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ATMER1
So I'm taking the wife out for Mother's Day breakfast and while pulling forward into a parking space brush the splitter with the curb removing the finish and fiber weave along the pass. corner leading edge in two spots, one 6" the other 3".
No cracks ,chipping, etc. Any possibility of getting this refinished or is it throw it in the garbage and get another?

In any event I have another as a backup but am leery to put it on in case of another hamfisted maneuver, looks like the best reasonable alternative is the C7 Carbon knockoff.

Thanks,
John
12 ZR! #201
Sorry for your mishap but it seems like wet sanding and a little clear coat should fix it up to be unnoticeable.

BTW, you bought a new splitter ($1,500?) just in case you messed up the original one?...
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I lightly scraped the one on my 2009. A paint marker did a good job of hiding the scratch. Not much need to put another new one on as this can very easily happen more than once. Of course, it's your call.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
I lightly scraped the one on my 2009. A paint marker did a good job of hiding the scratch. Not much need to put another new one on as this can very easily happen more than once. Of course, it's your call.
Totally.... Split my splitter at the very center with about 500 miles on it - talk about breaking it in.

I'm sure that just as soon as I replace it, it will happen again.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
ATMER1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys, most appreciated. On further inspection looks like the main area has the clear coat scraped off with some scraping to the weave, as a few of you pointed out maybe some sanding to the weave and some new clear coat will most likely bring it close to original. As the splitter has 3M clear bra the other area I thought was damaged turned out to only be the film.

3LZZ06--
The spare is a replacement for one that got damaged in an accident w/ the 09 I had, shop was able to repair the original splitter as the damage was underneath. Unfortunate accident, drove into the back end of a 1978 930 Porsche,mint condition, waiting to fill up. Hit the gas instead of the brake, this on the way home from taking delivery. $4k damage to mine, the Porsche they had to cut the back end of to repair.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Another splitter meets the curb story

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Another splitter meets the curb story