Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2013 shelby 0-60?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:00 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

zOate they cant be doing the same e.t and have an eight mile an hour difference.The shelby is lighter and far more powerfull so it will be at least a half a second faster than the camaro.I dont know where you come up with these times.First of all the fastest zl1 all stock result is 11.93 and the shelby has already gone 11.7 at the hands of a ford engineer with traction control on.With more seat time the Shelby will see 11.5 all stock very easily.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

lol at those saying the Shelby will never match the Z06 around a road course.......well no crap, the Z06 it built with the roadcourse as it's main point for existence.

That's like me saying a Z06/ZR1 will never match the GT500's seating of 4 people.....

The bottom line is the GT500 is aimed directly for those wanting a fast a heck 4 seat GT car. It's a muscle car and I'm totally fine with that and respect it for it's capabilities. Also it will be no slouch on a road course either, some of you make it sound like the GT500 will go flying off the track lol, I think alot of people can live with a 2013GT500 that matches a Grand Sports handling on a roadcourse and can dust a Z06 in a straight line.

The 2013 GT500 is a better all-round car (compared to a Z06) if you need room and want to run with exotics at the drag strip, this car should get a serious look.

Cars evolve, this is a GOOD thing that Ford has upped it's game again, it will push GM to make a C7 that will outdistance itself from these latest Mustangs. We all win with this competition.

Last edited by Silver05GTO; 05-22-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z0ate
the shelby was made to compete with the ZL1, fellas...and it looks like the fords are doin about the same ET, but about 6-8 MPH faster

ZL1: 11.8@118
shelby: 11.8@126
I thought the best GM could do with their hotshoe driver was 11.93, which the car rags won't touch. With that trap speed difference, one of those numbers has to be wrong since neither one is AWD.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 AM
whiplash306
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Don't see anything funny about this, as lots more to chassis development than 1/4 mile and straight line street racing. A 3150 lb high powered aluminum chassis factory car, pegging your cheeks to the pillars in turns, meeting all federal safety standards and such. What else is there.
I can't hardly sum it up any better than what was said below.
Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
lol at those saying the Shelby will never match the Z06 around a road course.......well no crap, the Z06 it built with the roadcourse as it's main point for existence.

That's like me saying a Z06/ZR1 will never match the GT500's seating of 4 people.....

The bottom line is the GT500 is aimed directly for those wanting a fast a heck 4 seat GT car. It's a muscle car and I'm totally fine with that and respect it for it's capabilities. Also it will be no slouch on a road course either, some of you make it sound like the GT500 will go flying off the track lol, I think alot of people can live with a 2013GT500 that matches a Grand Sports handling on a roadcourse and can dust a Z06 in a straight line.

The 2013 GT500 is a better all-round car (compared to a Z06) if you need room and want to run with exotics at the drag strip, this car should get a serious look.

Cars evolve, this is a GOOD thing that Ford has upped it's game again, it will push GM to make a C7 that will outdistance itself from these latest Mustangs. We all win with this competition.
I'll add this - Suffice it to say that while the Shelby is still somewhat hampered by its weight, both overall and distribution wise and its SRA out back, it's architecture otherwise is not as archaic as many of you make it out to be. Equal driver for driver, and stock power for power, my bet is that the GT500 will be VERY formidable around a track! Time will tell obviously, but I'm betting the GT500 will be a capable performer around a road course (sort of) by default, while being an absolute beast at the strip, which just happens to be the exact opposite of the 700 lb lighter C6Z.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM
No4Play
Racer

I definitely agree with your synopsis except for the fact that the GT500 is a better all around car. How can you say that a vehicle that isn't even in the same class as a corvette, runs a similar time but does not "dust" as you said a ZO6, and will not make it around a circuit track nearly as fast, a better car? people are so hell bent on comparing the Shelby with the vette and not comparing it with a car in it's class (ZL1). Basically the Corvette was bred for the road course and can hang at the drag strip as well. The shelby obviously is geared more toward the drag strip but will not be able to keep up with a vette on a road course without some suspension work regardless of what it comes with from the factory.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM
whiplash306
Racer

Originally Posted by No4Play
I definitely agree with your synopsis except for the fact that the GT500 is a better all around car. How can you say that a vehicle that isn't even in the same class as a corvette, runs a similar time but does not "dust" as you said a ZO6, and will not make it around a circuit track nearly as fast, a better car? people are so hell bent on comparing the Shelby with the vette and not comparing it with a car in it's class (ZL1). Basically the Corvette was bred for the road course and can hang at the drag strip as well. The shelby obviously is geared more toward the drag strip but will not be able to keep up with a vette on a road course without some suspension work regardless of what it comes with from the factory.
Granted, a "better all around car" is a subjective statement based off the needs and desires of the individual. However, my bet is that for the average driver, you won't see much of a difference between the two, both on a road coarse and at the quarter mile strip. "People (Vette owners primarily) are so hell bent" on preserving what they feel is the integrity of their illustrious Vette that they will purposefully ignore what is so obvious - like it or not, in the hands of equal drivers, in many avenues of performance, the new GT500 will top the mighty C6ZO6...
Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Stage IT
Pro

you guys are fooling yourselfs if you think this is gonna be a high 11 sec car...and unable to run 10s on drs or ZL1 competition. On tire in stock form i'd say it will be on par with the c6 Z. for proof of this is out there. The new boss with 440 fwhp has been 11.7s with tire and a guy i race with went 11.1s on slick with the stock current gt500 with factory 3.73 gear at 550fwhp and you guys think 80 more hp wont get these things in the 10s....
Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JChastain
Either way its still a brick imo.
The Cd is not that far off the Z.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by No4Play
All I have to say is this: I have been a mustang owner/driver since I was 15. I stood true to the pony and never would take a second look at getting into a camaro or vette....UNTIL I drove a good friend of mines modded FRC. I was hooked. Needless to say, the Shelby looks great and FINALLY matches our cars in a STRAIGHT LINE. It took 8 years of production to do it stock for stock. The kicker is this, it will take another 10 grand in suspension and chassis upgrades from a manufacturer like Maximum Motorsports to even think about keeping up with us on a circuit track. It goes without saying that in all around performance, the ZO6 takes the cake. I give ford props for coming out with a great vehicle that does well in one single aspect of performance (that we know of), but it just isn't the same caliber of all around performance vehicle as the ZO6 is.
While the new Mustang is faster than the Z06 (and likely the ZR1,) in a straight line, it is no slouch when the road turns either. This was one of the biggest surprises as the body doesn't "look" like it'll turn. But, turn it does very well. Don't be surprised if you see them on a roadcourse near you, closing in. Yes, with stock suspenders/tires...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NORTY
While the new Mustang is faster than the Z06 (and likely the ZR1,) in a straight line, :
It may be on par with the z06 on average but I dont think it will compare to the ZR1 in the 1/4. Im guessing with a pretty good driver maybe low low 11's with everything being perfect while the Z has been well into the 10's on numerous occasions. The GT500 is a beast and I hope I get the privledge to drive one some day..Ford has gone all out on this one and it is an amazing car! The states are taking it to the world with all these amazing 600hp cars - Viper, Z06, ZR1, GT500 and the ZL1
Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 PM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

and can dust a Z06 in a straight line.

And if you DONT need room <zo6. Last I checked, c6zo6 runs very well against most exotics-looks like one too.

"DUST" a c6z????
Old 05-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FNQWK
And if you DONT need room <zo6. Last I checked, c6zo6 runs very well against most exotics-looks like one too.

"DUST" a c6z????
Looks are subjective, does a 45k Grand Sport look-like an exotic? Does a 40k base C6 look like an exotic? I guess so but there are also folks who would say a Z06/ZR1 doesn't look exotic enough since they are based off a normal narrow body C6 design.

But anyways, yes dust a Z06.

As I've already mentioned, the mag drivers are already putting out better numbers then they did with the C6Z06 back in 2006 when it comes to acceleration. Faster means.....it's faster last I checked. So while the use of the word "dust" may bug you, in time your gonna see that the GT500 will post faster times then a Z06.

Before getting all upset, remember it wasn't gonna last forever and the C6 Z06 will always have a place in history.
The 13' GT500 is the newest best bang for the buck out there, give it it's due.....as much as it might hurt lol.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

tomsws6 there is no 600 h.p z06 and no 600 h.p zl1. Just thought id let you know.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Looks are subjective, does a 45k Grand Sport look-like an exotic? Does a 40k base C6 look like an exotic? I guess so but there are also folks who would say a Z06/ZR1 doesn't look exotic enough since they are based off a normal narrow body C6 design.

But anyways, yes dust a Z06.

As I've already mentioned, the mag drivers are already putting out better numbers then they did with the C6Z06 back in 2006 when it comes to acceleration. Faster means.....it's faster last I checked. So while the use of the word "dust" may bug you, in time your gonna see that the GT500 will post faster times then a Z06.

Before getting all upset, remember it wasn't gonna last forever and the C6 Z06 will always have a place in history.
The 13' GT500 is the newest best bang for the buck out there, give it it's due.....as much as it might hurt lol.
Actually, that's NOT entirely true.

M/T ran a stock 2006 C6 Z06 in the October 2005 issue to the following times:

0-60 in 3.5
1/4 in 11.5 at 127.1 MPH

No current mag driven 2013 GT500 has run a time that bested this yet.....at least none that are published with pictures and proof to back it up.

The new GT500 is a beast and IMHO will be a driver's race against the current C6 Z06 in a 1/4 drag race. There's no posted times for the GT500 for 0-150 or standing mile times so no real comparison can be made there yet, but we do know what the Z06 does. Until they meet at an acceleration event, be it 1/4 or standing one miles events, this is just bench racing 101.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 PM
az sheriff
Racer

Shelby is just that. Shelby. A Mustang with aftermarket additions. A ZO6 Corvette is a Chevrolet Corvette. A brute directly from the GM factory. The ZL1 Camero comes that way from the factory also. They do not have to get aftermarket upgrades from Shelby, Saleen etc. Lets do $30,000 in upgrades to a ZO6 or ZL1 and see what happens. I like the looks of the Shelby but I am loyal to my brand.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by az sheriff
Shelby is just that. Shelby. A Mustang with aftermarket additions. A ZO6 Corvette is a Chevrolet Corvette. A brute directly from the GM factory. The ZL1 Camero comes that way from the factory also. They do not have to get aftermarket upgrades from Shelby, Saleen etc. Lets do $30,000 in upgrades to a ZO6 or ZL1 and see what happens. I like the looks of the Shelby but I am loyal to my brand.
The GT500 is designed by Shelby in only the looks department, the rest is by SVT which is part of Ford

Don't try and say that if you added $30k to the ZL1 and all that bs, the ZL1 is a Camaro with $30k in extras lol. The fact remains that GM messed up and Ford has designed a much better car, period

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 shelby 0-60?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by az sheriff
You are not actually serious are you? If so, you epitomize the IGNORANT BRAND LOYALIST and make me want to sell my vette to avoid association with your kind!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
SRVfan09
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the new GT500 is awesome, but I don't want one. It's not my flavor, the Z06 is. That doesn't mean I have to be intimidated by it or bash it because, oh dear, it might just be comparable to the Z in some performance aspects.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LOUFY
You are not actually serious are you? If so, you epitomize the IGNORANT BRAND LOYALIST and make me want to sell my vette to avoid association with your kind!
Drama major?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2013 shelby 0-60?