Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2013 shelby 0-60?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by az sheriff
Shelby is just that. Shelby. A Mustang with aftermarket additions. A ZO6 Corvette is a Chevrolet Corvette. A brute directly from the GM factory. The ZL1 Camero comes that way from the factory also. They do not have to get aftermarket upgrades from Shelby, Saleen etc. Lets do $30,000 in upgrades to a ZO6 or ZL1 and see what happens. I like the looks of the Shelby but I am loyal to my brand.

It is this kind of thinking that sank American cars in the late 70's-80's. The big three thought they could hand us whatever and we would buy....their pile of crap....I know this because I was one of the Camaro loyalist (at the time). I wouldn't even look at a different car at the time.

Not a good way to go. Buy the best be it from whomever makes it. Competition is good when it comes top performance/muscle cars. If you act on what you say, then your getting left in the Mustangs dust with a ZL1 Camaro....the General should have been looking over his shoulder because they HAVE goofed this one with the competition twix Camaro-Mustang....chalk one for Ford. If I could have two play toys, one WOULD be this Mustang. They LOOK BETTER too.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
It is this kind of thinking that sank American cars in the late 70's-80's. The big three thought they could hand us whatever and we would buy....their pile of crap....I know this because I was one of the Camaro loyalist (at the time). I wouldn't even look at a different car at the time.

Not a good way to go. Buy the best be it from whomever makes it. Competition is good when it comes top performance/muscle cars. If you act on what you say, then your getting left in the Mustangs dust with a ZL1 Camaro....the General should have been looking over his shoulder because they HAVE goofed this one with the competition twix Camaro-Mustang....chalk one for Ford. If I could have two play toys, one WOULD be this Mustang. They LOOK BETTER too.
Yep.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyCobb
Personally, I would like to get a chance to get in a new GT500 and try it out.

0 to 60: 3.5 seconds

1/4: 11.6 @ 125.7 mph

...and NO gas guzzler tax!

Last edited by VNAMVET; 05-23-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:43 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
tomsws6 there is no 600 h.p z06 and no 600 h.p zl1. Just thought id let you know.
Ah yes, you are correct. I just lumped them in there. The Z06 only had 505 and the ZL1 is close enough to 600. I was just getting to the fact that USA is taking it to the world full force.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Antonio1988
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Every GT500 since 2007 has been built 100% in-house at Ford by their SVT team on the same production line with V-6 and GT's.

Now,Shelby America offers what they call a "SuperSnake" package. It's very similar to a Callaway Corvette. What you saw were owners cars there for said package.

But the car in discussion in this thread is not the SuperSnake.
Thank God someone else on here is smart enough to know this fact
Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by JBauer47
Haven't seen this much freaking out since the GTR was released. But I still think we have a number of redundant threads to go before we catch the "GTR vs Z06" topic.

MC
I would hope for Ford's sake that their top of the line "supercar" could out perform a 6 year old C6Z .. I mean come on

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
I LOVE the new Shelby GT 500 but I think its silly to have a second thread on a C6 Z forum, when we arleady have a 2013 Shelby 500 thread, that has been the most popular here the last 3 weeks with over 15,500 looks.

This is coming from a guy who is not even close to being a Vette Purist and loves all bad azz cool American Muscle Cars (old ad new) but this is now getting ridicolous, as this is simply a rehash of the below thead).

I say put this thread into the other cars section or simply consoldiate this thread into the main one listed below this is just pure repitition, and even the title has nothing to do with C6Zs.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...hp-shelby.html
Getting old fast to see the latest fury of freaked out people ... there were cars faster than the Z06 before this Shelby came out, and there will continue to be as time and technology move forward.

The Z06 held up as one of the top performing sports cars for quite a while..it's not going to be that way forever, nor would I want it to... natural progress we must move forward...

Besides pleminary numbers and info available is saying the 2 cars are close.... some are acting like this Shelby is a 9 sec car out of the box from Ford
Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 PM
oldlugs
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Every GT500 since 2007 has been built 100% in-house at Ford by their SVT team on the same production line with V-6 and GT's....
Not true. The 2008-2009 GT500KR was the last "pre-title" Shelby Mustang. They were actually finished off at Shelby Autos in Vegas, before being sent to Ford dealers for sale. They were the last "true" Shelby Fords, and as real a Shelby as the first GT350s of the '60s.
Yes, they're a heavy lump and shaped like a brick, but they're relatively comfortable, fairly fast, and handle OK for Mustang. If you're taking a couple of passengers, luggage, and what-all on a longish trip, they're a heck of a lot more suitable than a faster and lighter two-seater.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Antonio1988
Funny, this is how the ferrari, porsche, and lambo guys feel about us and our vettes and we insult them for thinking this way...

My hats' off to the few remaining true car guys on the forum, give credit where credit is due

Can only hope to add this new bad boy Stang to my garage sometime in the next few years (LOVE IT)!

Of course if you post this up in the C6 Z section of the largest online Corvette Forum in the World, your going to get more than a few brand specific corvette loyalists who bash this car, and that's one of the reasons this has been the most popular thread here over the last 27 days (its just fueling the fire)!

Face it guys for what it is at this price point (Msrp), right now this car is all the rage and rightfully so!

OH yeah, I forgot there was another 26 day old thread on this same EXACT same topic here in the C6 Z section (nothing like rehashing throught the same old stuff).
Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I bet that's one well-built, reliable engine in that Mustang. Probably could take more boost with no problem. I think the MSRP on a no option car is only 55k. Sounds like a good deal.
More boost...LOL. Ok - so...my FGT just got it's 5.4 liter engine's supercharger upgraded to a Whipple 4.0 L. It's now making 920 crank HP now, up from 550 in stock trim. All that was done was the S/C and throttle body / pulley (from 12 to 19 psi) and a good tune. We have more in it, but haven't yet finished the tuning. Now remember, this new 5.8 Liter is the 5.4 liter engine, reworked. When you say "more boost"...that's an understatement! You could go well into 800+ RWHP with just boost - and still be running safely with plenty of margin for error.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:13 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Never be afraid of a car. I'm more afraid of, determination and a fat wallet!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
More boost...LOL. Ok - so...my FGT just got it's 5.4 liter engine's supercharger upgraded to a Whipple 4.0 L. It's now making 920 crank HP now, up from 550 in stock trim. All that was done was the S/C and throttle body / pulley (from 12 to 19 psi) and a good tune. We have more in it, but haven't yet finished the tuning. Now remember, this new 5.8 Liter is the 5.4 liter engine, reworked. When you say "more boost"...that's an understatement! You could go well into 800+ RWHP with just boost - and still be running safely with plenty of margin for error.
I want a ride.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:43 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I want a ride.

X2
Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
The Ford engines are pretty stout. being an fgt owner, you follow the fgt forums--- have you heard of these engines coming apart with supercharger mods and tunes?

The big cubic inch Ls7 is a fragile flower compared to what's stuffed in the stangs.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
lol at those saying the Shelby will never match the Z06 around a road course.......well no crap, the Z06 it built with the roadcourse as it's main point for existence.

That's like me saying a Z06/ZR1 will never match the GT500's seating of 4 people.....

The bottom line is the GT500 is aimed directly for those wanting a fast a heck 4 seat GT car. It's a muscle car and I'm totally fine with that and respect it for it's capabilities. Also it will be no slouch on a road course either, some of you make it sound like the GT500 will go flying off the track lol, I think alot of people can live with a 2013GT500 that matches a Grand Sports handling on a roadcourse and can dust a Z06 in a straight line.

The 2013 GT500 is a better all-round car (compared to a Z06) if you need room and want to run with exotics at the drag strip, this car should get a serious look.

Cars evolve, this is a GOOD thing that Ford has upped it's game again, it will push GM to make a C7 that will outdistance itself from these latest Mustangs. We all win with this competition.
Nice! Maybe I could consider one since they MSRP for 64k.
Nice mate for the Z-06. But It remains to be seen if they dust a stock
Z-06 in a straight line. Looks to be a closer race than with the 2012.
I love the A&A kit on my Z-06!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
The Ford engines are pretty stout. being an fgt owner, you follow the fgt forums--- have you heard of these engines coming apart with supercharger mods and tunes?

The big cubic inch Ls7 is a fragile flower compared to what's stuffed in the stangs.
Ford just makes a better engine.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

What this means to me is that we may be thanking Ford for the C7's performance level.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2013 shelby 0-60?