Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Problem removing wheel balance weights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
tcphoto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem removing wheel balance weights!!!

My dealers service department replaced my tires, but left the adhesive on the chrome spyder rims from the previous weights. I figured no problem I'll just take my blade and run it under the adhesive and wipe off any remaining mess. Little did I know that the inside of the rims were painted. So when I ran the blade to remove the black glob of adhesive up comes the paint with it. I couldn't believe that surface was paint and not unfinished metal that I thought it was.

So I go to the dealer explain what happened and they ordered me a new wheel. When the new rim came in they were suppose to switch out the old rim and remove the adhesive off of the three other rims. They tell me my car is ready and then explains that they ran into the same problem and removed a large patch of paint off of one rim and had marks from some tool they used to lift the adhesive on the other to rims. We talked about repainting the wheels but we realized that the next time I changed tires we would be back in the same position because they couldn't remove the weights without removing some paint. I went to a tire shop I had used before to get their opinion of what had happened and they said they would have probably had the same results.

So my question to you guys that have changed tires on your chrome spyder rims is, what are they useing to remove the old weights adhesive without damageing the paint on the rims?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Goof-off
Old 05-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Yawlak80-86
Racer

Brake parts cleaner on a clean shop rag, and patience.

Good luck,
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 AM
wolfgangs
Heel & Toe

Blue Shop towel and goof off. Today at Goodyear tire shop, I watched the grease monkey try to remove the adhesive with some sort of cleaner and when that didn't work, he grabbed a screwdriver and I looked in horror. Luckily I had Goof off in the car and removed it myself. A screwdriver, really?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

All 4 of the barrels on my comp grey rims were gouged where the tech used a flat head screwdriver to pry the factory wheel weights off. Of course the new wheel weights are in different locations now and I have these awesome scrape marks on every wheel.

U.M.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

It takes lots and lots of patience with either Goo Gone or a good adhesive remover. Get in a hurry you will lift the paint. Even the chrome wheels have painted barrels. I just fixed a nail puncture on my 07 vert last week with chromies and had to remove the old balance weight adhesives. PITA.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Whatever you do, don't use goof off. I used it to get my wheel weights off and it took the paint off lickety split. Used goo gone and lighter fluid to get the adhesive off the other three.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Goof Off and a wooden paint stirrer to get the adhesive off. No problems with removing paint. (I suspect that's the reason the original shop that changed my tires didn't do it themselves.)

Next time it will be Goo Gone.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

product called Undo....
Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

WD-40??? Works for me.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Since most tire shops just pull the old weights off and leave the sticky spooge, they'll re-apply new tape weights over the old spooge. This can cause the new weights to fly off at some point down the road. Prior to getting new rubber on my wheels, I remove all tape weights and spooge with WD-40 and a wooden tongue depressor. Just keep the spooge wet with WD-40 and let it work. Leave it on for 5 minutes, just keep it wet. Start working the depressor at an edge and re-apply WD-40 as needed. It won't harm the paint at all and it'll be nice and clean for the new weights to stick real good.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Paul330
Instructor

I had a tech remove paint when he pried the weights off my wheels. The paint came off with the weight. To avoid this, I now scoop the weights off with fishing line, then clean the wheel off with adhesive remover.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

tires are a royal pain in the ***!!! tech do not like doing them period. rims get damaged easily if you dont have the latest & greatest machine w nice new adapters. all this is important. then ok balance them....then you have the darn 3m double face tape to deal with....its a no win situation for you or the tech. most dealerships, tire shops pay minimum wage or flat rate to the mechanics, especially tire jockeys. i know at my place we hate tires, we lose our shirts doing these things at flate rate. we get paid .3 per tire mount & balance. how carefull is somebody going to be.........it sucks i know, best bet.....ask around,ask around ask around......remember discount places mean just that....you get what you pay for....ive been doing this along time, i didnt even do my own tires!! i wasnt comfortable using our old beat up machine, i found a local place that had the latest & greatest equipment and a decent guy that i spoke to personally first. oh yea, one more thing, i only brought wheels & tires.....not the car.....less room for error!!!....lastly. yea the adhesive...wd-40, patience, brake clean, repeat...i sucks...did that myself also before i dropped them off. $20.00 bucks tip to the man doing this job helps too, before he starts....
Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM
tcphoto
Advanced

Thanks for all the responces. I really like the use of the fishing line to remove the weights, no way that could damage the wheel. My service manager said he would get me new wheels to replace the damaged ones, and next time I need tires I'll take the weights off myself. Lesson learned!

Get notified of new replies

To Problem removing wheel balance weights!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Problem removing wheel balance weights!!!