Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jmc5
I don't care for any of the property seizure laws.

If the guy is a criminal, he will be convicted in court, and the court may impose a financial fine to recover money that was illegally earned.

The property seizure laws are simply enticement for bad officers to do their worst, and temptation to drag good officers into the muck.
I agree with you that a majority of it is screwed up, but how do you think it entices us to do bad things? I personally dont benefit in anyway from making a seizure. If I come to work and do 8 hours of nothing or 8 hours of (on my level) police work, my paycheck is the same...........are you referring to the actual seizing of currency and bad cops taking money????
Old 07-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
don't slip up and get caught -- Mr. Blagojevich and his husband will be waiting for you in their cell.
all joking aside, because you dont seem to abrasive, there isnt a damn thing that will make me go to the dark side of the force and lose my job.............Im in it to make it to retirement, collect my sweet pension and watch my kids grow up.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Maligator
all joking aside, because you dont seem to abrasive, there isnt a damn thing that will make me go to the dark side of the force and lose my job.............Im in it to make it to retirement, collect my sweet pension and watch my kids grow up.
I know - just having a little fun. to a fellow Z owner.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

I know - just having a little fun. to a fellow Z owner.
cheers buddy! and btw Gov Quinn is more f'd up than Rod...........Free Rod, Free Rod!!!!!!!

Even though he was a crook, he was good to our department. We are so thin on officers we can barely provide the services to people, he at least saw that and let us hire people. There are parts of the state where you can get in an accident and wait 2-3 hours for a trooper to respond. Imagine if that was a lifesaving incident where someone needed immediate medical attention (we are usually first on scene), very sad...........
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

cheers buddy! and btw Gov Quinn is more f'd up than Rod...........Free Rod, Free Rod!!!!!!!

Even though he was a crook, he was good to our department. We are so thin on officers we can barely provide the services to people, he at least saw that and let us hire people. There are parts of the state where you can get in an accident and wait 2-3 hours for a trooper to respond. Imagine if that was a lifesaving incident where someone needed immediate medical attention (we are usually first on scene), very sad...........
I have tried to do business with the State of Illinois to provide technology that would help the state identify welfare and workers comp fraud. we could save the state a lot so that money could be put to better use. It was frustrating.

Several years back, I was really put off by being told I had to align myself with Lobbyists, that were the biggest bunch of crooks ever that only wanted money and for me to raise my prices so they could skim off the top. I wouldn't go down that path.

-- Now with Senate Bill 51 the State is at a great stand still contributing even more so to the issues you describe above.

good luck to you and I hope that state can live up to its future pension obligations.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 07-01-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

I have tried to do business with the State of Illinois to provide technology that would help the state identify welfare and workers comp fraud. we could save the state a lot so that money could be put to better use. It was frustrating.

Several years back, I was really put off by being told I had to align myself with Lobbyists, that were the biggest bunch of crooks ever that only wanted money and for me to raise my prices so they could skim off the top. I wouldn't go down that path.

-- Now with Senate Bill 51 the State is at a great stand still contributing even more so to the issues you describe above.

good luck to you and I hope that state can live up to its future pension obligations.
you and I could kill several bottles of booze talking about those subjects..........
Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

The sheriff dept in Raleigh seized a black Z06 a few years ago and have been busting peoples asses since with traffic tickets.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NC_EB_Z06
The sheriff dept in Raleigh seized a black Z06 a few years ago and have been busting peoples asses since with traffic tickets.
Sure; a previous department I worked for seized a mustang, with over 80k miles at the time. They would have received peanuts for it if they sold it; instead they used it as an undercover traffic car, at little or no expense to the citizens tax dollars. I have to say, 9 times out of 10, all vehicles seized (real ones, dopers cars with legit loads) are sold at auction to replenish the fleet. You guys dont think we would btch a fit if we were driving old *** cars that couldnt even get us to our next call while some pristine zr1 was sitting in the pd parking lot? Come on guys, most cops are on the same level, we bitch about the same **** you guys do. Would a 2005 crown vic make the news if it was seized? or a tahoe or charger? Hell no, but that happens all the time; a legit seizure turns into a squad car at little or no expense to hard working americans. I cant say all, but MOST seizures are from some sht bag running dope or cash in your community and we take whats important to them and PARADE it. Why? somewhat deterrence (way out of our control) and to show people we are doing something to better the way of life for people and to keep up community relations. Does the relation with police always have to be bad? Hell no, how about a seized zr1 to bs with people and have conversation about how a s-bird lost his wheels for dealing dope in your community? I understand there are bad cops and bad pd's, but if we can bridge the gap a little bit between people and good hard working cops, maybe, just maybe, we can deter violent crime and make this goofy world a little better for all of us..........
Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
jmc5
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with you that a majority of it is screwed up, but how do you think it entices us to do bad things? I personally dont benefit in anyway from making a seizure. If I come to work and do 8 hours of nothing or 8 hours of (on my level) police work, my paycheck is the same...........are you referring to the actual seizing of currency and bad cops taking money????
I'm referring to any seizure of property prior to an actual trial and
a decision that the person is guilty of what they have been charged
with.

Many of the most egregious offenses reported here are committed by
departments that do benefit directly from the seizures. These tend to
be what you see on flashy news media "60 minutes" style expose pieces.

However, even in the case of no direct benefit, someone in the
government is benefitting (profitting) from the police department
taking property without a trial. Often times recovery of property
wrongly seized is impossible due to the financial means of the people
the property is seized from. Even for those with means, if a 35k
car is stolen, and it costs 30k + a year or two in court to recover the
property, the smart move is to write it off and just let your property
be taken.

As to the temptation, it can be very subtle and indirect.

Higher up #1 says "Hey, we can profit from seizing more property,
just like the law says we can!"

This gets passed down the line, and down the line.

Finally, you're getting your daily pep talk from your direct supervisor,
and he says "Hey, the bosses are really paying attention to our
seizure numbers, and we aren't doing our job. You guys should be
able to find more of this stuff, there are bad guys out there! Go get
em!"

This is the sort of temptation I'm talking about.

Do you press a bad situation into a seizure? Its not really clear that
the guy is 100% guilty, but you know that he isn't innocent. And if
the bosses are watching, your choices are full court press or let him
go. Maybe he isn't guilty, but letting him go doesn't seem right either...

Tempting to just shaft the guy and let him deal with it...
Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jmc5
I'm referring to any seizure of property prior to an actual trial and
a decision that the person is guilty of what they have been charged
with.

Many of the most egregious offenses reported here are committed by
departments that do benefit directly from the seizures. These tend to
be what you see on flashy news media "60 minutes" style expose pieces.

However, even in the case of no direct benefit, someone in the
government is benefitting (profitting) from the police department
taking property without a trial. Often times recovery of property
wrongly seized is impossible due to the financial means of the people
the property is seized from. Even for those with means, if a 35k
car is stolen, and it costs 30k + a year or two in court to recover the
property, the smart move is to write it off and just let your property
be taken.

As to the temptation, it can be very subtle and indirect.

Higher up #1 says "Hey, we can profit from seizing more property,
just like the law says we can!"

This gets passed down the line, and down the line.

Finally, you're getting your daily pep talk from your direct supervisor,
and he says "Hey, the bosses are really paying attention to our
seizure numbers, and we aren't doing our job. You guys should be
able to find more of this stuff, there are bad guys out there! Go get
em!"

This is the sort of temptation I'm talking about.

Do you press a bad situation into a seizure? Its not really clear that
the guy is 100% guilty, but you know that he isn't innocent. And if
the bosses are watching, your choices are full court press or let him
go. Maybe he isn't guilty, but letting him go doesn't seem right either...

Tempting to just shaft the guy and let him deal with it...
I hate to say it, and many wont, now that you word it that way (the truth) I cannot disagree one bit........HOWEVER, the word temptation should be replaced with pressure, deadlines, quotas or any other synonymous term that is used in the workplace. I dont feel temptation when im working, I feel pressure from the higher ups to produce. I dont see 10k in currency as a temptation to steal, I see it as a seizure that takes the bosses off my back. As much as I agree with you, that doesnt mean that the ground forces, or beat cops are dirty cops. It means that the "temptation" or corruption starts at the top, the president, the gov and everyone else, not us little people who are doing what we are told so we can make a living and provide for our families.......
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

and jmc5 as a perfect example a "criminal" last night we had which was his 9th time caught while driving with his license suspended, had six thousand dollars in currency on him. All neatly wrapped in rubber bands in 100 dollar increments, like he worked for the IRS. When asked what he did for a living he said "unemployed" and when he was asked to post bond he tried to use a link card. This, is the vomit that I work with; on its face for what im posting it looks like joe shmo with some money. On my end I see a sbird with drug money on him trying to use a link card (our tax dollars) to get out of jail. Really? Here us vet owners are getting into a pissing match (not you and I) when many hardened criminals are continuing there way of life on our dime!!!!!!!!!! This society, government and judicial system makes me want to puke. Most people think cops are the reason society is jacked beyond repair and let me go off on a tangent: There are bad, half brained cops that couldn't tell a green light from a red light; I will give you guys that. BUT there are IDIOTS who are picking the cops to be cops!!!! I swear this is worse than the chicken and the egg argument. Personally, I go out and try to prove people wrong........Hopefully that lands me in heaven and not hell...........
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I go out and try to prove people wrong........Hopefully that lands me in heaven and not hell...........
Heaven bound for sure (Romans 10:9) and I totally support the vehicles being used for departmental purposes...

we had a masserati taken from a dealer a few years back but we sent it back to CA...right now we have approx 50 cars in our lot just sitting there...owners in prison or already done with their sentences but the cars are still sitting...three auctions but no buyers...i guess they want the cars for $1...ahem, oh well...new DARE car coming!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jmc5...we don't have to press or lie about drug seizures...often times, they are flaunting their ill-gotten gains so much, you have to be blind to miss it! one of the last ones i had was a guy riding a land rover...very clean...ran a redlight...clearly...truck reeks of weed...yeah, a nice bundle inside, with baggies and a scale...with an AK47...blessed that he respected LEO's enough to not try and shoot me...he took his charge and lost his ride...that same guy is out now and has...guess what? a frickin c6 vert now!!!...lol...i still wave at him from my c5 now that i'm off the street...is he still dealing? dunno...if it is meant for him to get caught again, it will happen
Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

\HOWEVER, the word temptation should be replaced with pressure, deadlines, quotas or any other synonymous term that is used in the workplace. I dont feel temptation when im working, I feel pressure from the higher ups to produce. \.......
Interesting - officers have deadlines and quotas, sounds a little bit like my job.

Similiar situation for me, we have contracts our customers have to abide by, - I guess I can compare that to the law.

Sometimes customers knowingly and unknowingly breach the contract. Its tempting to shaft the customer and let them deal with it when the issue is vague or ambiguous.

It burns lots of bridges, but it helps make quota deadlines. And when your company is reporting to shareholders and you are trying to keep your stock price high, you do what you have to do to make the higher ups happy.

The big difference for me is I don't have to worry about fortune 100 companies or government entities that I deal with pulling a gun on me and blowing my brains out.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 07-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 AM
KNIPPS
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Maligator???

Maligator??....where is Kevin and what have you done to him?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Surf Island
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Especially if it is NBC, MSNBC, CBS, NY Times, etc. Also good at lying by omission and taking content out of context.

I never listen to the lame stream media. It's all propaganda.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KNIPPS
Maligator??....where is Kevin and what have you done to him?
Kevin is on vacation, please leave a message after the beep, thank you......

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine