Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help me guys please

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:43 AM
mouses
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me guys please

Hello everyone ..

my z06 show me this message "service active handling sys " And I dont know what dose it means and my z06 is 2007 and I just bought it before one month ..

What dose it mean?

And what I should do ?

Last edited by mouses; 07-07-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mouses
Hello everyone ..

my z06 show me this message "service active handling sys " And I dont know what dose it means and my z06 is 2007 and I just bought it before one month ..

What dose it mean?

And what I should do ?
Mouses Go to the C6 section and repost this in C6 Z06. This a holiday weekend,but some are on today!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 PM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

:: Service-Active-Handling-consumer-action

Summary:

Current problem/suspect appears to be with the wheel-positioning sensor itself; replacement or modification remains unknown at the moment.

NOTE: Previous TSB is and/or was: 06.02.35.002B

Report Date: May 6, 2010 at 10:15 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number: 10V172000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / CORVETTE 2005-2006
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: APR 26, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V172000 NHTSA Action Number: EA09002

Component: STEERING: COLUMN Potential Number of Units Affected: 40028

Summary:
GM IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005 AND 2006 CHEVROLET CORVETTE PASSENGER CARS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN MARCH 2004 AND JANUARY 2006 EQUIPPED WITH A TILT AND TELESCOPING STEERING COLUMN (RPO N37). IN RARE CASES, REPEATED MOVEMENT OF THE STEERING COLUMN MAY CAUSE A SIGNAL INTERRUPTION WITHIN THE COLUMN. IF THIS OCCURS, THE MESSAGE, "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM" WILL APPEAR IN THE DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER, AND ONE OR MORE OF THE BRAKES MAY APPLY, POSSIBLY CAUSING THE VEHICLE TO PULL TO THE RIGHT OR LEFT.

Consequence:
IF THE DRIVER DOES NOT RESPOND TO THE CHANGE IN VEHICLE MOVEMENT, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
GM WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT APRIL 30, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 AND GMC AT 1-866-996-9463 OR AT THE OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.

Notes:
GM'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS N100118. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Reference website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

ADDENDUM:

If your DIC displays a "Service Active Handling" message it is normally a quick fix, unless it is the sensor. It’s an issue as noted in the TSB following that can be easily fixed by either a dealer, or a procedure that any owner can perform – see link below.

Typically the "connector" of the wiring harness on your "telescoping" steering column becomes stressed from movement – quite possibly being too short – and results in a partial disconnect momentarily triggering the SAH message. When this happens a condition called "fretting" can occur. This fretting is basically a charring of the connector pins due to carbon buildup from arcing. This consequently can change the resistance of the connector sending a false signal to the steering position sensor and subsequently the car’s control system. This in turn causes the system to interpret your action as doing something that you ought not be and will try to correct by applying opposite braking to correct. When this occurs the system can lock-up a wheel and prove to be very dangerous at high speed(s).

Failure to make the repair can result with the arcing within the connector developing into a charred and/or fretted condition as mentioned and requiring a wiring harness replacement.

The original fix was a wire tie and then revised to incorporating a locking connector adapter (clip) that takes less than 10 minutes to install and firmly secures the connection from separation. However, a second cause can be the actual steering wheel positioning sensor, current thought(s) appear to suggest that the sensor in some cases may be possibly at fault as well.

TSB #06-02-35-002B: Stabilitrak/Active Handling Light On, Service Stabilitrak/Active Handling Message on DIC, DTC C0710 Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Signal Set (Install Clip in SWPS Connector) - (Oct 19, 2007)

Subject: Stabilitrak/Active Handling Light On, Service Stabilitrak/Active Handling Message on DIC, DTC C0710 Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Signal Set (Install Clip in SWPS Connector)

Models: 2008 Buick Lucerne

2004-2008 Cadillac XLR

2006-2008 Cadillac DTS

2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

with Steering Wheel - Tilt, Telescoping (RPO N37 or N38)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin is being revised to update the models and provide new correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-35-002A (Section 02 -- Steering).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on a Stabilitrak® or Active Handling System light being illuminated. Also, this warning light will be accompanied by a SERVICE STABILITRAK or SERVICE ACTIVE HNDLG message on the DIC.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may reveal a DTC C0710.

Cause

The most likely cause of a DTC C0710 on a vehicle equipped with telescoping/tilt steering wheel is high resistance in SWPS connector C202. Fretting terminal corrosion may be present in the SWPS connector due to the telescoping motion of the steering column. When the steering column is telescoped in and out, the female terminals within the SWPS connector may move on the male terminals of the SWPS. This movement between the terminals may cause a high resistance condition in the SWPS connector.

Correction

Remove the driver's side closeout (insulator) panel.
Locate the SWPS connector that connects to the steering angle sensor, located on the lower center of the steering column.

Install the clip (1), P/N 19179794, into the connector. This clip will act as a terminal positive assurance (TPA) and prevent any movement of the terminals.
Reinstall the closeout panel.
Clear the DTC with a scan tool and road test the vehicle.
If DTC C0710 resets during the road test, refer to DTC C0710 in SI.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Clip, Steering Angle

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E9464*
Install Clip into Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Connector
0.3 hr

:: Link to procedure, click here

Last edited by QwikC; 07-07-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added summary
Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 AM
mouses
2nd Gear

well.. I dont know about this website, this my second time here lol

And thank you QwikC for the support
Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Is that the only code you're getting? What year is your Z06? Does it have any of the factory warranty remaining?

The problem could be a number of issues. It could be a speed sensor in one of your wheel hubs. It could be a BCM issue, etc. Post up some more information and perhaps we can help.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are getting this code you need to have your car serviced. Period. Faulty active handling could cause less that desireable results driving the car
Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by mouses
hello everyone ..

My z06 show me this message "service active handling sys " and i dont know what dose it means and my z06 is 2007 and i just bought it before one month ..

What dose it mean?

And what i should do ?
mine did same thing, does your z have headers? I had exhaust leak and it messed up codes somehow.. Goodluck
Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 AM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gotta go get the codes pulled to see what's up. Mine turned out to be the brake pedal switch or something. Reset the adaptations (I think) and it's been good since.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Push the button to bring the steering wheel a bit closer to the dash. You probably have it extended fully out. If you retract it a bit and the problem goes away the cable is being stretched.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me guys please

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help me guys please