Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve guide wear root cause found!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
My engine was built on 12 May 2009, and VIN build date was 28 May 2009.
A little more than two weeks....

Thanks for providing the info
Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 AM
NWbluez06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not post much, but I do like to surf the forum alot. I hate the sky is falling threads, all the BS posts you have to dig though to get to the "meat" of the disscussion. That said... I do learn from the discourse here. So here is my contribution on this subject... I have a Oct. 2005 build date. I first tuned my Z06 in the spring of 06, drove it with 476rwhp till spring of 08 and with appox. 22,000 miles on it and no issues, I cammed it milled the heads for a 1/2 point increase in compression, and put SS exaust valves in, as well as springs ect... I also put a larger radator in ( temps on track were getting a little to hot at times with 250+ degree oil), lingenfelter tank, as well as other track mods. Fast forward to today I now have 47,000 plus miles of hard street driving (if that posible with this car) and no issuses. I do have the valve train noise which I feel is normal in these cars and will lose 1/2 a QT of oil on a good track day.

To sumerize: 25,000 miles @ 560 RWHP tracked at least 20 times, 15 of those with the SS valve fix (if you want to call it that). this winter Katech will most likely do a short block and WCCH will get my heads for a freshing up. The reason... preventitive maintenance. I think Katech rebuilds race engines at around 20 hours of hard use, I think I have that.

Oh yes... I have always felt the oil was a little light, I have used the M1 with a zinc additive. Thinking Amsoil after rebuild, but most likely will follow Jason and crews advice.

Targeting 600RWHP with gen III cam next time around.... I think.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by NWbluez06; 08-21-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by NWbluez06
I do not post much, but I do like to surf the forum alot. I hate the sky is falling threads, all the BS posts you have to dig though to get to the "meat" of the disscussion. That said... I do learn from the discourse here. So here is my contribution on this subject... I have a Oct. 2005 build date. I first tuned my Z06 in the spring of 06, drove it with 476rwhp till spring of 08 and with appox. 22,000 miles on it and no issues, I cammed it milled the heads for a 1/2 point increase in compression, and put SS exaust valves in, as well as springs ect... I also put a larger radator in ( temps on track were getting a little to hot at times with 250+ degree oil), lingenfelter tank, as well as other track mods. Fast forward to today I now have 47,000 plus miles of hard street driving (if that posible with this car) and no issuses. I do have the valve train noise which I feel is normal in these cars and will lose 1/2 a QT of oil on a good track day.

To sumerize: 25,000 miles @ 560 RWHP tracked at least 20 times, 15 of those with the SS vavle fix (if you want to call it that). this winter Katech will most likly do a short block and WCCH will get my heads for a freshing up. The reason... preventitive maintenance. I think Katech rebuilds race engines at around 20 hours of hard use, I think I have that.

Oh yes... I have always felt the oil was a little light, I have used the M1 with a zinc additive. Thinking Amsoil after rebuild, but most likely will follow Jason and crews advice.

Targeting 600RWHP with gen III cam next time around.... I think.

Hope this helps!
Great story. Nice to hear a positive one even though it is not as salacious as the blown engine threads and won't get as much traction.

SOunds like you have a great car.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 20psirabbit
Not to ask a dumb question, maybe I'm missing something-
I saw an earlier post on this thread where a member showed some unacceptable wipe pattern from the rocker to the valve.
Is there any chance that the heads weren't checked (either at all or to some standard) when assembled for good solid wipe patterns, leading to random guide wear and random valve failures from some having better wipe than others, so some wear quicker and more aggressively than others? Especially when the exhaust valves are the ones that are offset? Wouldn't something like that at least explain why there's not really a pattern to the failures?
If you are talking about at the engine factory, then I'd have to say that no they do not check each and every valve wipe pattern. My guess is they never check it during engine assembly. Once the design of all parts is done and ready for manufacturing, GM counts on all the parts to be made per spec. At the assembly stage, the engine is basically assembled without detailed spec checks like rocker arm wipe patterns, etc. That has all been considered in the parts specs so that when all the parts are assembled they are supposed to fit together as designed.

If incorrectly machined heads (or any other part that was made wrong) makes it past any QA checks along the way, then they get assembled onto an engine which can obviously lead to major issues down the line.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 08-21-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If you are talking about at the engine factory, then I'd have to say that no they do not check each and every valve wipe pattern. My guess is they never check it during engine assembly. Once the design of all parts is done and ready for manufacturing, GM counts on all the parts to be made per spec. At the assembly stage, the engine is basically assembled without detailed spec checks like rocker arm wipe patterns, etc. That has all been considered in the parts specs so that when all the parts are assembled they are supposed to fit together as designed.

If incorrectly machined heads (or any other part that was made wrong) makes it past any QA checks along the way, then they get assembled onto an engine which can obviously lead to major issues down the line.

That is the way most manufacturing plants work. Have strict Source Control so all incoming parts are correct. This improves quality and like all good quality control measures reduces overall costs. Quality is Free, mistakes cost money.

Bill
Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-restored.html

I've always suspected it was a quality control issue, not a design flaw.

Bad news is that just replacing the guides with bronze and ss valves won't fix the root cause.

Looks like he sold this bad boy two days later.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-2008-z06.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...e-history.html

I guess he wasn't willing to find out if his new heads were milled right. I wonder why he deleted his response below Planet Zoom's.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-22-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
MtnBiker09Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT Viper and sodium-filled valves

From article on new SRT Viper...

"An aluminum flywheel cuts 11 pounds, helping revs build faster, and sodium-filled exhaust valves help keep engine temps down as well as saving a pound."

Hmmm, maybe we should follow the SRT Viper threads and see if this happens to them.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Looks like he sold this bad boy two days later.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-2008-z06.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...e-history.html

I guess he wasn't willing to find out if his new heads were milled right. I wonder why he deleted his response below Planet Zoom's.
Sounds like he gave it away.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by musicmankeb
Date of heads pulled: 7/5/12
Head Type: GM LS7
Year: 2006
Miles: 16,000
Track time: None
Tune: Stock
Mods: Haltech M103 + B&B exhaust for maybe 6,000 miles. Just put headers on the car within 300 miles and have been easy on the throttle since no tune. Car is currently at Katech getting stage 2 and these were the specs of the guides.

Gauge Valve diameter .3135"

Guide Clearances

Intake #1
Top .0027
Mid .0021
Bot .0024

Intake #2
Top .0030
Mid .0022
Bot .0028

Intake #3
Top .0025
Mid .0022
Bot .0023

Intake #4
Top .0030
Mid .0023
Bot .0025

Intake #5
Top .0033
Mid .0022
Bot .0027

Intake #6
Top .0028
Mid .0022
Bot .0025

Intake #7
Top .0029
Mid .0023
Bot .0027

Intake #8
Top .0030
Mid .0023
Bot .0028
=========================
Exhaust #1
Top .0022
Mid .0026
Bot .0069

Exhaust #2
Top .0022
Mid .0024
Bot .0048

Exhaust #3
Top .0020
Mid .0028
Bot .0064

Exhaust #4
Top .0022
Mid .0024
Bot .0039

Exhaust #5
Top .0021
Mid .0029
Bot .0085

Exhaust #6
Top .0021
Mid .0023
Bot .0046

Exhaust #7
Top .0021
Mid .0024
Bot .0054

Exhaust #8
Top .0022
Mid .0025
Bot .0033
=================

My observation, the exhaust valves on the left side of the engine (drivers side) 1,3,5,7 have more wear then the right side of the motor. Which makes me think oil could be a factor since that is the side furthest away from the oil sump. Regardless, every guide is out of spec on the bottom side of the guide. For a 16,000 mile car, this wear is not normal and I was told by Jason to replace all the guides and valves.

I also want to say to everyone who forgets this, some bronze guides will wear out faster then the factory powdered metal guides. Bronze is a softer metal and the factory powdered metal guides will actually last longer then bronze, ask any reputable shop.

My car is at Katech and is finished and is Katech #60 with a Stage 2 package with (bronze guides unfortunately), new OEM exhaust valves, and Katech Intake valves. I will have it back soon finally but feel like I regret the whole thing except having a 1 year 12k mile warranty. If I could do everything all over again, I would have done it myself and bought Mast heads because I do believe that there is some type of issue with these factory LS7 heads.

Just think about this for everyone who has had valve guide wear and had there guides replaced and or valves. You are not fixing anything, what is stopping your guides/valves from wearing down again. All you did was replace something that was worn, not fix whatever the problem is.

I'm not offering anyone a fix to this problem because I don't know what it is, just numbers and my opinion, you can take it however you want. I just hope this gets addressed someday soon!
# 56 here. I never thought i would be saying this, but welcome to the Katech Family! It is amazing to read you regret having done the stage 2 useing the factory heads. And this is Katech were talking about. I chose the stage 1 package because jason said its all i needed and i have zero regrets in this. Having researched everything Katech has done over the years. I have faith that they know what they are doing. Yes, i like everyone here has read thousands of words discussing the valve issue ( or supposed issue) concerning the LS7 Motor. There are some really smart people here on this forum. Who know way more about this than i do. I simply do not know what to believe anymore. But when someone with the knowledge and experience that Jason Harding has, who represents one of the most accomplished companys in motorsports tells me ill be fine with stage one.Call it blind faith or whatever, but iv got to beleive my zo6 LS7 is better than ever. I have spoke with many people here in Charlotte about this issue.And i have yet to find anyone who has had this issue! Not One. Katech says they have never lost a motor due to failure.( unless abuse was involved or was tuned incorrectly). Now please dont jump to hard on me here. But i am simply trying to understand this like everybody else. I am certain you did your research before you sent your Z to Katech. Thats why im just having a hard time understanding your statement having regrets. Jason said to replace your valves and guides and you will be fine. I think you can take that to the bank. Oh well, i just wanted to give you a shout out and say congrats on being #60.. I allways enjoy pulling up Katech club sport on the forum and reading about all the serial numbered zo6s they have built since 2006. Jason got me to come to track attack and it was hands down the most fun i have ever had with my clothes on to your #60. i think i will go check her out now!!!!!! Enjoy your beautifull zo6 musicman!!!! This world has lots of really serious issues. Worrying about your Katech built LS7 is not one of them!!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Potentially Useful Info

I had a chance to chat with one of the engineers at Carlisle about this specific issue. The discussion was fairly focused, and out of it I got the following points (paraphrasing, so forgive me here) ...
  • It sounds like it's affecting a reasonably small number of '09, '10, and '11 Z06s. It's not the cause of any issues that have popped up with the LS7 in prior MYs.
  • GM discovered the problem through their cylinder head warranty data; it went from nearly 0 to a peak of 6.5 problems per thousand engines.
  • They inspected the returned heads and found the machining error in the valve guide. It had occurred at their head supplier. As stated in the thread already: it's not a design issue.
  • Problems contained as of Feb '11 with 100% inspection of all heads.
  • The most common customer complaint has been excessive valve train noise and if left unattended, an engine failure would likely occur. A handful of engines have been replaced under warranty due to these specific failures.

Overall, the engineer wanted customers to: enjoy their cars! If a problem is going to happen, it'll be accompanied by a nasty/excessive valve train noise long before the engine fails. He didn't quantify what "excessive" valve train noise means, as opposed to the LS7's normal ticking. I haven't had an LS7-equipped Vette in over 3 years, so it's been a while since I've last heard one. Pay attention to what your engine is telling you regarding its noises, but don't drive around like you're sitting on a time bomb.

jas
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
I had a chance to chat with one of the engineers at Carlisle about this specific issue. The discussion was fairly focused, and out of it I got the following points (paraphrasing, so forgive me here) ...
  • It sounds like it's affecting a reasonably small number of '09, '10, and '11 Z06s. It's not the cause of any issues that have popped up with the LS7 in prior MYs.
  • GM discovered the problem through their cylinder head warranty data; it went from nearly 0 to a peak of 6.5 problems per thousand engines.
  • They inspected the returned heads and found the machining error in the valve guide. It had occurred at their head supplier. As stated in the thread already: it's not a design issue.
  • The most common customer complaint has been excessive valve train noise and if left unattended, an engine failure would likely occur. A handful of engines have been replaced under warranty due to these specific failures.

Overall, the engineer wanted customers to: enjoy their cars! If a problem is going to happen, it'll be accompanied by a nasty/excessive valve train noise long before the engine fails. He didn't quantify what "excessive" valve train noise means, as opposed to the LS7's normal ticking. I haven't had an LS7-equipped Vette in over 3 years, so it's been a while since I've last heard one. Pay attention to what your engine is telling you regarding its noises, but don't drive around like you're sitting on a time bomb.

jas
Thanks for your post and sharing that information. The part in bold, however goes completely against the beliefs of this forum. Interesting...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

jas
Great info, especially that specific date.

DH
Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So its a machining issue inside the guides?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Originally Posted by jvp
[*]They inspected the returned heads and found the machining error in the valve guide. It had occurred at their head supplier. As stated in the thread already: it's not a design issue.
Definitely not the same issue then, since people have had valve guides replaced and still had wear issues. Unless the head shops are also making 'machining errors'.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

jas
Then GM should replace any warranty or not LS7 stock engine if a valve drops.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:06 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Thanks for your post and sharing that information. The part in bold, however goes completely against the beliefs of this forum. Interesting...
that part in bold is huge.

This head milling problem, only accounts for a few 09, 10 and 11 cars, but does not involve the '06-'08 cars so heads from those cars were milled correctly and whatever problems seen in them is not a milling issue.

Oh well.. Those looking at MAST and Trick Flows instead of stockers, due to fear of milling issues can rest a little easier and spend a little less money.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

jas
Great info and thanks for taking the time to talk to this individual and extracting this info from him.

I do have a few questions about what I put in bold.

What do you mean by a "reasonably" small number? Maybe it's the way you are phrasing it, but I don't think I understand what that means. Reasonable compared to what, prior model years? All LSx based engines?? Statistically insignificant???

Second, are you saying there is a difference in the reasons for valve drop failures between any 09'+ versus prior model years? If so, what is the cause of valve drop failures for prior model years?

Get notified of new replies

To Valve guide wear root cause found!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Reasonable compared to what, prior model years? All LSx based engines?? Statistically insignificant???
The second bullet sort of answers your question. What GM found in their in-house analysis was a 6.5/1000 failure rate in those 3 model years.

Second, are you saying there is a difference in the reasons for valve drop failures between any 09'+ versus prior model years? If so, what is the cause of valve drop failures for prior model years?
Yes there's a difference, and no I didn't get that info from him. I was specifically asking him about the machined heads issue that you bolded in your first post in the this thread:

He went into detail describing why which consisted of the discussion he had with the regional GM engineer who came to look at my car. The root cause was the heads were milled wrong where the rocker arms are mounted. This caused the rocker to come down at an angle which in turn pushed the valve down wrong which in turn made the valve stem and valve guide wear out prematurely.
And also, please note everyone: I can't and won't debate these points with anyone on the forum because I don't have access to the same data the engineer does/did. So asking me specific questions about what he meant or whatnot won't get you far.

Messenger. Don't shoot. Etc.

jas
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

jas
Except that I was told it affected engines built before calender year 2009, this is what I said earlier that I was told there were machining/QC errors.

As I also said in another thread, if you hear the tapping sound coming from the top of the engine while revving gradually from 1,500 to 3,000 RPMs, have it checked out at your GM dealer. And, if the dealer is hesitant to break down the parts needed for a physical inspection, have them call GM for their input.

There are valve issues with some engines as I experienced with mine, and my car only had 5,300 miles when I first heard the noise, and around 6,500 miles when it was repaired at the dealer (after I drove it from FL to PA). It was bone stock and had not been beaten on.

After 3 Corvettes which I really enjoyed and was planning on keeping my ZO6 for many years, I traded my '09 ZO6 yesterday due to a lack of confidence from unresolved engine problems.

I bought a new leftover, loaded to the max 2012 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet for a spectacular deal along with getting what I wanted for my ZO6. I figured I'd get out while the getting was good.

It's a shame that this will be my last Corvette. I felt good to do my part to try and help our US economy when I bought my ZO6 shortly after the Fall '08 economic meltdown. But, GM did not live up to it's side of the bargain as far as I'm concerned. My engine problem along with no concern for us, their loyal customers, as evidenced by their raiding the parts bin and offering a clone ZO6 in the Grand Sport model, will keep me from coming back anytime soon.

Flame on if you wish, but remember, I have been a loyal Corvette owner since 1986.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Originally Posted by beden1
as evidenced by their raiding the parts bin and offering a clone ZO6 in the Grand Sport model, will keep me from coming back anytime soon.
Wonder how many new 'loyal customers' the GS earned them? I bet the net-net is positive.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve guide wear root cause found!