Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 09-06-2012, 08:18 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Anyone remember that 1999 Ford Cobra fiasco where Ford was pretty much forced to admit that those cars weren't making the power advertised.

That was a public relations NIGHTMARE for Ford and team Mustang and SVT. And it damaged the value of those cars beyond any fix supplied by Ford.

This would be at least that bad and probably worse. A whole lot worse, especially with 427 convertibles rolling off the trucks.
I agree those cars never recovered. But some US also own other GM vehicle's and how GM handles this situation will factor in my future purchases of GM products!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
I agree those cars never recovered. But some US also own other GM vehicle's and how GM handles this situation will factor in my future purchases of GM products!

Those cars were never anything special to begin with (99 Cobra) in the big scheme of things; meaning they never had the hype or purpose built intent, as the Z06. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison. Just my opinion.

Also like Joe stated, its not just the Z06's we own, my loyalty lies in my driveway with my New Tahoe, Pickup truck and LS1 Trans Am. Also the 10 previous GM products. I have been considering buying at CTS-V coupe this fall, but I've put that on hold.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, my valve guide numbers from my spare set of heads with 31k miles on them are back from WCCH

Name:  c261ba6f.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  66.5 KB

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-06-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, my valve guide numbers from my spare set of heads with 31k miles on them are back from WCCH

What were the mods done to the motor that they came off, if any?

Last edited by FRDnemesis; 09-07-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
What were the mods done to the motor that they came off, if any?
Bone stock.

Every one of the exhaust valve guides is out of spec. #1 exhaust valve guide is way out of spec.

I posted this up immediately after getting it back so I have not even looked at it on the paper, but it looks like 2 of the intake guides were gone too, and the rest of them were on the brink if the service limit is .0037".

The heads currently on my car will be coming off next week. They are sold already. Hopefully the gentleman I sold them to will get a sheet indicating how much valve guide wear is on those 20K mile heads on my car.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-06-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap. Car is now PARKED. If no statement from GM by the end of the year it's getting traded. Sucks because I LOVE this car.
Thanks for posting Quick.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Bone stock.

Every one of the exhaust valve guides is out of spec. #1 exhaust valve guide is way out of spec.

I posted this up immediately after getting it back so I have not even looked at it on the paper, but it looks like 2 of the intake guides were gone too, and the rest of them were on the brink if the service limit is .0037".

The heads currently on my car will be coming off next week. They are sold already. Hopefully the gentleman I sold them to will get a sheet indicating how much valve guide wear is on those 20K mile heads on my car.

Well its great you caught it before any failure occured.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by nzk
Crap. Car is now PARKED. If no statement from GM by the end of the year it's getting traded. Sucks because I LOVE this car.
Thanks for posting Quick.
I don't think I'm waiting Carmax here i come.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Quick, dumb question, but which side of the guide, in relation to the valve is the top and which is the bottom? Seems that most of the valve guide wear sheets I've seen show most of the wear at the bottom of the guide.

Last edited by TORQJNKY; 09-07-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Thanks very much for your report.

So if you were taking your heads off would you replace the stock exhaust valves with SS or not ?????

DH
I swapped my valves with solid stainless units, if i could have gotten ahold of gun drilled ones to reduce the mass i would have but i had it done at the end of last winter. In addition when i reassembled my car i put a cam in there and had the rev limit lowered to 6800 with a dual spring setup. Just to try and be on the safe side, but boy do i wish i had another 1000 rpm it just rips so hard to redline now hahaha (sorry off topic )

That being said, i will be inspecting my valve guide wear at the end of this season (20k on this setup) to see if the problem has been fixed. If it is a geometry problem (rocker platform location/angle) obviously the work that was performed will not mitigate the issue. If the guides show to be in good shape i will not be 100% confident that the problem was thermal or geometry, but i will be more confident that the solid stem will provide more longevity fatigue wise. After seeing the valve without a head on it and showing a good sealing pattern on the guide entry zone i will say i am happy to have a solid stem in my car. I was totally torn on this matter, i was literally to the point where i wanted to flip a coin. The thermal characteristic of the sodium filled valves are in deed more efficient but the thought of having a weld joint spooked me too much. i will be sure to post my findings on the revamped setup.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 AM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Wow .0141 who ever pulled those heads was a lucky guy. thats really bad

Last edited by chadyellowz06; 09-07-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Their competitors, Porsche, Ford, Mercedes, Dodge, BMW, would descend upon them like vultures, and have a field day with this matter were they to do that.

Automobile companies are reluctant to admit blunders even when they cost human lives. It is doubtful that GM is going to admit one here affecting a small percentage out of 27,000 cars.

They don't care about "customer loyalty" amongst Z06 owners. They don't care about pissing off Z06 owners. Why do you think they built the grand sport?
The reality is they helped the Z06 owner with the GS and low build numbers of the Z. Plus the raise in prices steadliy from 2006
Lets take the 2006 Z-06 used if ketp in the same condition it has bottomed out. Like they were cheaper 1-2 years ago. The real low mile ones have moved up in price. Sure they made 6200 in 2006 but people wreaked and rodded and drove alot of them.
It's the GS! and base car! with so many more made they are helping hold the value of the Z06 up!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Their competitors, Porsche, Ford, Mercedes, Dodge, BMW, would descend upon them like vultures, and have a field day with this matter were they to do that.

Automobile companies are reluctant to admit blunders even when they cost human lives. It is doubtful that GM is going to admit one here affecting a small percentage out of 27,000 cars.

They don't care about "customer loyalty" amongst Z06 owners. They don't care about pissing off Z06 owners. Why do you think they built the grand sport?
Any weakness shown, their competitors will take advantage.

But, they should care what Z06 owners (and 427 Vert owners-after all, which engine is sitting in their car) think, because we also buy those Tahoes, Yukons (have one), Escalades, Malibu's, CTS's....etc....

They BETTER care....all I have to say or I WILL drop their azz's like a hot potatoe. And I have been one of their "new" car/truck/SUV customers my entire life.

See this GM...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Bone stock.

Ouch! What year Z06 did the heads come off of?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Ouch! What year Z06 did the heads come off of?
I was wondering the same thing- and was it tracked? Forgive me if you already put this info out but there have been too many posts in too many threads for me to recall.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
My car is PARKED as of yesterday and will not be driven until I can derive a course of action from whatever statement is waiting to be made by GM.

But regardless, my heads will be coming off the car sir, I will guarantee you that. But I will not pull them until I have a replacement in my hands to keep from having an open motor exposed to the climate during the wet winter months here in Charleston.

I may pull my heads to find out; WOW, I'm okay afterall OR I may quite easily find "WOW, I was on borrowed time!" I have a sneaking suspicion it will be the latter because this summer I have noticed what "I think" is some real valve noise between 1,500-2,500 RPM. Past 2,500 I cannot hear the motor over the exhaust because the butterflies start opening up.

If they are indeed fine, I will sell them to help recoup the new set of whatever I purchase (may be GMPP LSX LS7 heads if the problem did in fact, NOT follow over to them).

I mean NO disrespect, that is not my intent and I understand what you are trying to do; but when I read your post that I multi-quoted, it just seemed that your statement was trying to minimalize what was transpiring. I just think many, many of us are a bit on edge right now.

Respectfully,
Jeff
What year is your car ? I thought all of us have ticking at the lower rpm ranges. If you can supply a sample of your valvetrain noise I think it would help many of us concerned about the same thing.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI:

The idea of this sticky was to be informational but it turned into a town hall meeting. Nature of forums I guess.

GM will be posting info giving customers a specific method to address any concerns or issues. Once this process is set up, an announcement will be made, hopefully within the next few weeks, but possibly sooner.

Hang in there...

I will add this to the original post.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
FYI:

GM will be posting info giving customers a specific method to address any concerns or issues. Once this process is set up, an announcement will be made, hopefully within the next few weeks, but possibly sooner.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
FYI:

The idea of this sticky was to be informational but it turned into a town hall meeting. Nature of forums I guess.

Hang in there...

I will add this to the original post.

Mike
Thanks again Mike....I will shut the h3ll up (for time being )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed