Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
This is what I said who knows how many pages ago....

A dealer will NOT check your heads without a TSB from GM stating they will be compensated for the labor to check.

If you want your heads checked, at least at this stage in the game, it will be on your dime if they don't find wear. If they do it will be covered if your under warranty.

This is the disclaimer you will get from any dealer.
Take your car into the dealer and tell them you are concerned about your heads/motor. Tell them GM Cust Service advised you to do this. If your car is under warranty I believe they will at least look at it and then send you on your way if they don't hear anything suspicious. You have at least got your self into the computer system. If they refuse to do anything then report back to GM Cust Service. They are advising everyone to get back to them if they have further issues.

We certainly are not at the point where dealers will be removing heads because we ask them too.

DH
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dealer will NOT check your heads without a TSB from GM stating they will be compensated for the labor to check.

If you want your heads checked, at least at this stage in the game, it will be on your dime if they don't find wear. If they do it will be covered if your under warranty.

this is true! however...i was the one suggesting having the heads removed on my own pocket...not the dealer! but they did agree to charge me book value on the repair time...and let GM powertrain warranty cover the bill if they found anything wrong.

Now if there was a bulletin on this issue...this service call may or may not played out a little differently. At this point in time I am sitting waiting patiently...however this "noise" to listen for i believe is bullchit...many pros I have talked to said this guide wear wont be a audible noise that will be obvious to anyone...especially a dealer mechanic who thinks your just being a worry wart about your precious little corvette. Now if someone could provide me the bulletin# that most likely exists linking a noise to engine failure in the valve train...well at least i could do the dealerships job for them and help them look it up.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

The problem is they don't know which heads, got the bad guides.

If they knew that, then they'd know, or at least have an idea of which engines got the bad heads. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1562202716

If they knew which engines got the bad heads, they'd know which cars got the "at risk" engines, and they could issue a VIN list and replace the heads.

I posted the following 10/09/07, over 5 years ago:

They know which cylinder heads are on which engine blocks. They know which engine blocks are in which cars......but what they don't know is which guides are in which heads.

And this is the reason why there is no VIN range.

This whole affair, has to be a nightmare for them.

You give them an engine number, or a VIN number, and they can tell you what this EUN sticker on the cylinder head reads. They can read it back to you, and tell you which engine block it sits on, ..or at least sat on, when it left Wixom.

But what they can't tell you, is if any of the bad guides which were produced, are in that head.
Originally Posted by Minkster
Unless the heads were delivered in lots, and they have collated data on the failed heads they have collected as to which lot was milled incorrectly, it will be nearly impossible for GM to point to specific VINs or built blocks . If the milling error occurred sporadically, it'll be a needle in a haystack situation. We'll have wait and see what they produce as a way to address the issue.
and this also might be why we have not heard much from GM , they are stuck .. As quick said its a nightmare for them and Turning out to be for us too IMO

so far they are treating this the same they would any other problem in any car . I'm afraid this is the best we are going to get out of all this , that and maybe if we're lucky additional info somehow on range of Engines ..
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bobcatt
200 bucks is what i was quoted by dealer to have mine checked.
This must be the way GM measures for guide wear with heads on the car.

What dealer? If one is doing it then other should be too !!

DH
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Take your car into the dealer and tell them you are concerned about your heads/motor. Tell them GM Cust Service advised you to do this. If your car is under warranty I believe they will at least look at it and then send you on your way if they don't hear anything suspicious. You have at least got your self into the computer system. If they refuse to do anything then report back to GM Cust Service. They are advising everyone to get back to them if they have further issues.

We certainly are not at the point where dealers will be removing heads because we ask them too.

DH

I did exactly this. I printed out Evans message and went to the dealer. They looked over the car and said it wasn't making any abnormal sounds and sent me on my way. I am still under warranty however.

I was told even under warranty I would have to out of pocket to have them visually inspected if it turned out after inspection that there were no problems.

Last edited by propain; 10-17-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I am seriously starting to question the fixed as of Feb 11 date, because there is a May 11 build with guide wear here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1582103568
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

That's not bad at all.

Originally Posted by erick_e
I am seriously starting to question the fixed as of Feb 11 date, because there is a May 11 build with guide wear here.

That's because it's an obvious lie in my opinion. Every guide has the potential to be bad.

So GM reps, what say you to this? Problem contained yet a brand new 4500 mile car has worn guides out of your time frame.

I'm going to start documenting all these posts for future legal action.

Last edited by gatti-man; 10-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very curious on how they would be checking them....the quickest way is to remove valve covers..take out spark plugs and inject the cylinder with air pressure to hold the valve in place...then remove rocker arms...and measure the clearances...if you repeated this process on 16 valves I would think it would take a minimum a few hours or more. $200 seems awful cheap to do all that...and I would do it in a heartbeat...if you look in another thread recently started this method was used to find a failure in a low mileage 11 MY.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
That's not bad at all.

That's because it's an obvious lie in my opinion. Every guide has the potential to be bad.

So GM reps, what say you to this? Problem contained yet a brand new 4500 mile car has worn guides out of your time frame.

I'm going to start documenting all these posts for future legal action.
I don't believe it's "wear".

But I am glad that Bill decided, after thinking long and hard about whether or not to go forward with this information, to in fact go ahead and post his information up.

But when he says how much mileage he has on that car, I don't believe it's "wear".
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't believe it's "wear".

But I am glad that Bill decided, after thinking long and hard about whether or not to go forward with this information, to in fact go ahead and post his information up.

But when he says how much mileage he has on that car, I don't believe it's "wear".
True that was a poor choice of words. Out of spec would be better. However we just don't know at this point and judging by past failures some guides do rapidly wear. It's really hard for me to understand how poor guide machining could go on un noticed for 6 years!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

True that was a poor choice of words. Out of spec would be better. However we just don't know at this point and judging by past failures some guides do rapidly wear. It's really hard for me to understand how poor guide machining could go on un noticed for 6 years!
Bill's is actually the second case that I have read about in here which were out of spec in about 4K miles.

This first case, a car with 4K miles on it, was the actual turning point for me.

Originally Posted by zman62

I did my heads on my stock 08 at 4k miles as I did my motor build. The guides were out of spec at 4k.....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581557233

Actually, if you think about it, it becomes a little "easier" to understand.

1. Many of the cars are rarely driven. Garage queens. One guy a few posts up mentions only about 700 miles a year on his.

2. Of the ones which are driven, many are not tracked. An environment where failures are most likely to manifest. Highway miles are possibly considerably less likely to result in an engine failure than say, 15 or more, track days. The bulk of these 27,000 plus cars, are probably not going to see much road course duty.

3. The failures which do occur on the track, are easily, and often times very rapidly, attributed to "missed shifts" and user error, and are frequently dismissed as such. Also in many cases of broken valves, guide wear was likely never even checked for by anyone, after the catastrophe, and either a new engine put into the car under warranty, or on the owner's dime.

With regard to #3 consider this:

A Z06 comes into a dealership with a popped LS7, the first thing they check is not going to be the valve guides.

The first thing they are going to check, is the ECM.

So if the valve guides were worn, it is quite possible that no one will ever know.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-17-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I did exactly this. I printed out Evans message and went to the dealer. They looked over the car and said it wasn't making any abnormal sounds and sent me on my way. I am still under warranty however.

I was told even under warranty I would have to out of pocket to have them visually inspected if it turned out after inspection that there were no problems.

Good. So have them put that in writing and send it off to Evan and see what he says.

DH
Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by erick_e

Yes Bill gave some of us a heads up. Thats what I referred to on my previous post: GM has a way to check for guide wear without removing the heads. I could see that being the $200 the other member was referring to.

DH
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Yes Bill gave some of us a heads up. Thats what I referred to on my previous post: GM has a way to check for guide wear without removing the heads. I could see that being the $200 the other member was referring to.

DH
I just wonder what method they actually perform for that $200? That's not much more than what they charge for an oil change.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

DH
Did you ever hear anything else from that guy whose motor popped?

Did GM replace it for him?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5 John
This is what I receieved from customer service below...

JT,

My name is Tricia and I am assisting Evan while he is out of the office. We do not have specifics on build dates or VINs affected at this time other than knowing that the concern was contained as of the Feb 2011. If you are experiencing a concern, I would recommend contacting your local dealer for a diagnosis. If and when more information becomes available, either Evan or I will be sure to pass it along. You can also contact me if you have any additional question or need assistance.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Your lucky you got a reply. I am still waiting for a reply from Evan concerning my 08 Z which will be out of warranty May of 2013 My concern with 9K miles and the dealer inspects the valve/guides finds nothing wrong then I foot the labor cost then lets say at 11K miles and warranty gone on time my motor pops then what !! So far 2 dealers have said noise is normal and not to worry !! Yeah right !!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Did you ever hear anything else from that guy whose motor popped?

Did GM replace it for him?
No I have not. Not sure even if he has brought it in yet. He said he is watching these threads (but not posting). As you know there is some timing issues involved before some feel comfortable posting.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Surviving 67
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill's is actually the second case that I have read about in here which were out of spec in about 4K miles.

This first case, a car with 4K miles on it, was the actual turning point for me.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581557233

Actually, if you think about it, it becomes a little "easier" to understand.

1. Many of the cars are rarely driven. Garage queens. One guy a few posts up mentions only about 700 miles a year on his.

2. Of the ones which are driven, many are not tracked. An environment where failures are most likely to manifest. Highway miles are possibly considerably less likely to result in an engine failure than say, 15 or more, track days. The bulk of these 27,000 plus cars, are probably not going to see much road course duty.

3. The failures which do occur on the track, are easily, and often times very rapidly, attributed to "missed shifts" and user error, and are frequently dismissed as such. Also in many cases of broken valves, guide wear was likely never even checked for by anyone, after the catastrophe, and either a new engine put into the car under warranty, or on the owner's dime.

With regard to #3 consider this:

A Z06 comes into a dealership with a popped LS7, the first thing they check is not going to be the valve guides.

The first thing they are going to check, is the ECM.

So if the valve guides were worn, it is quite possible that no one will ever know.
Ricky, take a look at post 222 by beden1, his situation is very similiar to mine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-valve-12.html although they replaced his parts not the whole head. There is also this thread on the ZR1 forum with that car only having 1300 miles http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-valve-12.html

I think there is quite a bit of validity in GMs statementment that it was a machining issue with the guides at the factory. What people were thinking was extreme guide wear already had a big start when the cars left the factory.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a response too that is similar to what others have received. Mine was more regarding the 2008 cars that are about to be out of warranty, and fall under this machining error that they claim. The bold part was what interests me.

My name is Tricia and I am assisting Evan while he is out of the office. We do not have information at this time on specific VINs. We would be willing to take a look at each customer who feels that they are experiencing this concern. We can set up a case for them and work with them as long as they are working with a GM dealer. We can not guarantee assistance, but we can look at this on a case by case basis even for those out of warranty. would have to recommend that you contact your local GM dealer to have them take a look if you feel that you are experiencing a concern. Let me know if you would like additional assistance. Either Evan or I will be sure to pass along any additional information if and when it becomes available. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by billyjo
Ricky, take a look at post 222 by beden1, his situation is very similiar to mine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-valve-12.html although they replaced his parts not the whole head. There is also this thread on the ZR1 forum with that car only having 1300 miles http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-valve-12.html

I think there is quite a bit of validity in GMs statementment that it was a machining issue with the guides at the factory. What people were thinking was extreme guide wear already had a big start when the cars left the factory.

Yes, I see what you mean. I read the post by beden1.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed