Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The reputation of the corvette z06!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
No problems here, but I can guarantee you that the reputation has been somewhat tarnished.

Stopped by a Cars & Coffee event and a Z06 was on the dyno. Was talking to someone who owns one of these SRT Challengers/Chargers and he had mentioned he had heard of dropped valves.

Went to a track day @ Buttonwillow about 6 months ago, was talking to a Viper owner and we started talking about my cars. I brought up the Z06 and he mentioned they drop valves too.

On other forums that bring up the Z06, this is brought up occassionally.

So yep, its out there.
YES! its out there, but iv been in sales my whole life and we all know that BAD news makes the front page or its the leadoff story on our local news channel. Iv often said that is someone had the ***** to put nothing but good positive happy news on the front page of a newspaper,how many people would buy it? Iv only been on this forum since dec.2011. and by jan. i was getting depressed and sick worried about my new(to me,2009) Z06. I started getting angry, so i started reading everything under the sun about the Z06, from its birth to the present. Also i knew i was going to mod my Z, so after days and days of research, i chose Katech. Shipped my Z 800 miles to have the best turn my Z into something special. And boy, did Katech deliver! And let me say this, i am not a rich man by any means. I work 60 hours a week and im blessed to have a good job that rewards in many ways. And one is allowing me to indulge in my passion. CARS I only have one performance car, i can only afford one! And it is the corvette Z06! And thats why i started my thread yesterday. And thanks for the great post and keep them coming!!! PS. May god bless america on this day! SEPTEMBER THE 11TH!!!! 2012! Let no one ever forget
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
No problems here, but I can guarantee you that the reputation has been somewhat tarnished.

Stopped by a Cars & Coffee event and a Z06 was on the dyno. Was talking to someone who owns one of these SRT Challengers/Chargers and he had mentioned he had heard of dropped valves.

Went to a track day @ Buttonwillow about 6 months ago, was talking to a Viper owner and we started talking about my cars. I brought up the Z06 and he mentioned they drop valves too.

On other forums that bring up the Z06, this is brought up occassionally.

So yep, its out there.
It it shows in the inordinate number of Zs for sale, driving the value of our cars down.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by DON T.
YES! its out there, but iv been in sales my whole life and we all know that BAD news makes the front page or its the leadoff story on our local news channel. Iv often said that is someone had the ***** to put nothing but good positive happy news on the front page of a newspaper,how many people would buy it? Iv only been on this forum since dec.2011. and by jan. i was getting depressed and sick worried about my new(to me,2009) Z06. I started getting angry, so i started reading everything under the sun about the Z06, from its birth to the present. Also i knew i was going to mod my Z, so after days and days of research, i chose Katech. Shipped my Z 800 miles to have the best turn my Z into something special. And boy, did Katech deliver! And let me say this, i am not a rich man by any means. I work 60 hours a week and im blessed to have a good job that rewards in many ways. And one is allowing me to indulge in my passion. CARS I only have one performance car, i can only afford one! And it is the corvette Z06! And thats why i started my thread yesterday. And thanks for the great post and keep them coming!!! PS. May god bless america on this day! SEPTEMBER THE 11TH!!!! 2012! Let no one ever forget
You are making a noble effort and I can appreciate your positive attitude , but as jawathin says, it's out there..and I would actually believe now that word on the street everywhere is the LS7 is a time bomb...it does not take much, and with the internet and car forums like this , it gets viral quickly.
What's sad is that its gotten blown out of proportion, and many people out there have not kept up with it the way most of us have...they hear a rumor, or read a thread or 2 here, are not members and walk away with the wrong impression.

It's gotten to the point where pretty much anyone could sign up for an account here, post that they saw their friends , cousins best buddy blow an LS7, and everyone will automatically assume it dropped an exhaust valve and it was stock etc.. if we ask for more information, we are scolded and told to leave it alone, and just believe a stranger on the internet

Oh well, it is what it is.. as long as you yourself enjoy the car and are comfortable with it, it's all good. I drive mine everyday and don't really worry about all of this at all.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
SilveradoSS500,

With all due respect and sincerity my C6 Z brother, it appears as if its time to sell your beloved Z and move on (and it sucks, I can feel your pain).

Maybe stepping up to a ZR1 would be just the perfect exlixer for what ails you?
Thanks Buddy, I've been on track with ZR1's and driven in a serious ZR1. As I'm told, going from a Z06 to the ZR1 is like a base C6 to a Z06...I'm not sure if I believe that but I also don't really have a Z06, I have a race car on the street. So, the braking, handling, weight etc is pretty passed the ZR1, in stock form of course!

If I change, it will be to the 991 or GT3 997.

I've been tracking a 2007 997.1 GT3 for years and it just GOES, no problems, the owner is a cup car driver so trust me, he is pushing it.

For me, I track my toys, so at the end of the day, the Porsche with the factory warranty is pretty amazing but expensive.

I most likely will not sell my Z06 and let it be, if it blows, it blows, I'll go LS9 this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by FrankTank
You are making a noble effort and I can appreciate your positive attitude , but as jawathin says, it's out there..and I would actually believe now that word on the street everywhere is the LS7 is a time bomb...it does not take much, and with the internet and car forums like this , it gets viral quickly.
What's sad is that its gotten blown out of proportion, and many people out there have not kept up with it the way most of us have...they hear a rumor, or read a thread or 2 here, are not members and walk away with the wrong impression.

It's gotten to the point where pretty much anyone could sign up for an account here, post that they saw their friends , cousins best buddy blow an LS7, and everyone will automatically assume it dropped an exhaust valve and it was stock etc.. if we ask for more information, we are scolded and told to leave it alone, and just believe a stranger on the internet

Oh well, it is what it is.. as long as you yourself enjoy the car and are comfortable with it, it's all good. I drive mine everyday and don't really worry about all of this at all.
Thanks! just simply thank you sir! to ya
Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 AM
zyousoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How is this for you. Mine is an 08 JSB 3LZ car that everybody says looks outstanding. They love the color as I do. I go out in the garage and look at it all the time, my wife calls it my mistress. The car is fantastic, goes like hell, hits 150+ on the track and only the driver is holding it back from hitting 160+. Does fantastic on EMTs, Nitto NT05s, Continental Slicks or R888s. However, my engine dropped a valve while on the track a year ago. Am I nervous it will happen again? Yes!! Do I bad mouth the car? NO!! The car is still fantastic, and if you haven't opened the throttle wide open for at least 30 seconds continuously you don't have any idea what kind of a car you bought. Short one or two second bursts on the throttle or 11 seconds down a drag strip just don't cut it. You have to let it rip and feel it pull through the gears all the way to the top of 4th gear on the 7K rev limiter. You have to feel it respond as you go through a corner and quickly lift off and then depress the throttle so you can yaw the car in the direction you want it to go. You have to feel the Gs pulling the car sideways as you steer it out of a corner accelerating in 4th gear from 120 to 140 from the apex to the track out point at the beginning of the next straight. Does everything a C5Z06 can do but better.

Do yourself a favor and sign up with a driving school that puts instructors in the car with you and find out what your beast can do. WARNING: CAN BE EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE.

Bill
Sounds like the back side of MMC

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
...can't argue with the facts ! that package is top-shelf, for sure...
Thanks brother...I love C6 ZR1's also!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I've had two Z06's since their introduction and wholeheartedly agree with everyone that it is one of,if not the best bang for your buck car ever made. I've driven ~75k miles between the two with nary a hiccup.

I remember back in 2005 when the FGT came out & it was pitted against the Z06 in a bunch of major mags. The Z06 more than held its own against a car that was triple its price tag.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't seen a price drop around here atleast, I could probably get what I paid for my car a year ago.
Most the people I know that want a Z06 have always wanted one and are willing to fix the possible issue before it happens and gives them an excuse to mod it. For $750+spring kit+install isn't bad to have a car good til 650-700whp.

Maybe I'm in the minority that don't think the motor or car is the worst thing ever created by GM on here LOL
Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
The Z06 more than held its own against a car that was triple its price tag.
The Z first came out with a base of $65K; it is worth a little over half that now. The FGT was $145K and is worth more than that now.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
MudZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
I haven't seen a price drop around here atleast, I could probably get what I paid for my car a year ago.
Most the people I know that want a Z06 have always wanted one and are willing to fix the possible issue before it happens and gives them an excuse to mod it. For $750+spring kit+install isn't bad to have a car good til 650-700whp.

Maybe I'm in the minority that don't think the motor or car is the worst thing ever created by GM on here LOL
I agree. So when I do aftermarket heads will mine be more desirable?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MudZ06
I agree. So when I do aftermarket heads will mine be more desirable?
No, to the GREAT MAJORITY of potential buyers of C6 Zs in the entire COuntry they have NO CLUE about this valve issue, and a BONE STOCK Corvette is ALWAYS going to be the most desirable car to the GREAT MAJORITY of prospective buyers.

There of course will be guys who are looking for a moddified heads/cam Z, but they are a VERY VERY SMALL percentage of the general public looking to buy a Z (as the majority want BONE stock vettes).

Also, unless a moddified Z is a done by a SPECIAL shop like Katech or Lingenfelter, more often than not a modified vette, C6 Z, GS, etc., will be worth LESS than its bone stock counter-part (the VAST majority of the time). Just my two cents take it for what its worth.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-11-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

No, to the GREAT MAJORITY of potential buyers of C6 Zs in the entire COuntry they have NO CLUE about this valve issue, and a BONE STOCK Corvette is ALWAYS going to be the most desirable car to the GREAT MAJORITY of prospective buyers.

There of course will be guys who are looking for a moddified heads/cam Z, but they are a VERY VERY SMALL percentage of the general public looking to buy a Z (as the majority want BONE stock vettes).

Also, unless a moddified Z is a done by a SPECIAL shop like Katech or Lingenfelter, more often than not a modified vette, C6 Z, GS, etc., will be worth LESS than its bone stock counter-part (the VAST majority of the time). Just my two cents take it for what its worth.
In the real world where a majority of corvette and C6 Z owners don't visit corvette websites I disagree that the car's reputation is tarnished or damaged. Perfect example, if you go to buy a C6 Z (new or used) from a dealer tomorrow or offer yours in on a trade, I can just about GUARANTEE the dealer/salesman/sales manager, is going to look at your like a WHACK JOB if you bring up the alleged valve issue, and ask to pay less for their Z b/c of said alleged valve issue. Conversely, I can also just about GUARANTEE If you go to trade in your beloved Z, the alleged valve issue will not come out of the dealer's mouth to try to give you less $ for your Z. To me, this is what I mean by the REAL WORLD, and not internet car websites like this one where things are BLOWN out of proportion, etc.

I know several C6 Z ownwers, my brother included, and they have NO CLUE about the alleged valve issue with the tehe C6Z, as they don't frequent corvette or other car websights, and they are better off for doing so versus those here who are living n fear, sold their car, etc.

Things get WAY OVERBLOWN on a website like this and although I do believe the amount of catastrophic engine failures on the LS7 seem higher than normal, when you get down to it I still think its a small percentage, less than 1% on stock vehicles. The only guys who bring up the alleged LS7 valve issue are car nut guys who hand out on car forums like this.

If one is worried their best bet in my opinon is to extend/renew their GM warranty or get one from a valid aftermarket company that has a GREAT reputation, keep the car basically stock and drive the heck out of it and enjoy worry free. If you are living in fear and worrying about the reliabilty of your Z to the point where you no longer enjoy it, I would suggest selling it and movnig on, as THIS LIFE is simply too short to live in constant fear/worry.
Jimmy,

I had the opportunity to read your immediately above post, and I have a question for you if you do not mind.

To your parts in bold above:.............

What do you suppose is going to happen when GM makes their announcement, that this matter affected some of the '09-'11 models, and this matter ends up being written about in articles and "editorials" and "commentaries" in Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and the other rags, as well as shows up on Autoblog and Autoweek magazine, and "Letters to the Editor" in such publications?

All of these are communication vehicles which are bound to make this matter become much more common knowledge amongst ALL sports car enthusiasts or every make and model, not just Corvette enthusiasts on CF, than it is currently?

If you do a google search of "LS7 dropped valve", you will wind up with nearly 50,000 hits. About 47,900 results (0.26 seconds).

What do you suppose will happen when that number hits 100,000 results?

When GM comes out with whatever statement they are said to be coming out with, I'm thinking that this matter will get even longer legs than it has already.

Once they utter a sound which even remotely resembles a problem in their 2009-2011 cars, the IMMEDIATE discussion, because there were prior engine failures, is going to be centered around whether or not the issue existed prior to the time that they are admitting that it did in fact, exist.

Anyone thinking that this matter is going to leave GM and the reputation of the Z06 unscathed, is extremely optimistic.

GM right now, is making their plans towards damage control with regard to this matter, and this is the reason why going into 2 weeks later, following an announcement from those close to them, along the lines that a statement was coming, that they have yet to say anything.

They are desperately trying to decide how to spin this.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-11-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ a good point to highlight, Quick...

Regardless that the percentage of LS7 problems/failures is likely small, GM does not have a good set of "facts"
(with respect to the identified QC issues) to spin...

IMO, no matter what they say, the results will have a negative impact as the "statement" is analyzed etc...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I truly love my 09 Cyber/Grey 3LZ Z06

The car has 19,000 miles currently and is stock and will stay that way until the warranty runs out.

I do 2 or 3 HPDE's at VIR.

I really hate to hear the negatives about the LS-7 and can't help being concered.

If there is an issue I wish GM would step up and deal with it. I would gladly pay for labor and them for parts if something needs to be done to be sure the motor is ok.

I have seen and heard an LS-7 let go at the track and it ain't pretty.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
^ a good point to highlight, Quick...

Regardless that the percentage of LS7 problems/failures is likely small, GM does not have a good set of "facts"
(with respect to the identified QC issues) to spin...

IMO, no matter what they say, the results will have a negative impact as the "statement" is analyzed etc...
The $!@* is liable to hit the fan if GM makes a statement.

In fact NO statement that they can make will carry with it any assurances whatsoever that the reputation of the car will not take a hit as a result.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
The Z first came out with a base of $65K; it is worth a little over half that now. The FGT was $145K and is worth more than that now.
Don't really get to see many Ford GTs. One shows up at a local cruise in and the guy pops the hood and sits by the car. Did the same with his Viper. There are some that show up at the track every now and then but again sort of a rare breed. Used to see more when they were being produced or just after production ended but the guys that brought them couldn't keep up with the new Z06 at the time. The fact that they only produced 4K GTs may have something to do with the price increase.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To The reputation of the corvette z06!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:31 PM
SlingindirtM95
Instructor

I know alot of the valve issue are from people missing shifts and bouncing off the rev limiter. The Z06 are awsome cars for sure
Old 09-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
The $!@* is liable to hit the fan if GM makes a statement.

In fact NO statement that they can make will carry with it any assurances whatsoever that the reputation of the car will not take a hit as a result.

IMO, if GM makes a statement other than saying stock LS7 engines will be replaced should the same fail, even if out of warranty,
for X number of years/miles until year Y/M miles, (with no further details--just "a goodwill policy"), GM will destroy the market
and value of all LS7-equipped Corvettes. Not to mention the loyalty of the possibly 30K +/- (incl. 427 'verts) LS7 customers.
The dam will burst, so to speak...

The negative implications of publicly identifying detailed LS7 technical deficiencies will not be able to be controlled.
Maybe GM is less concerned about this as it is the end of the C6 model-run, and maybe the end of the LS7, and if
so that would be the only reason (to me) of GM ever admitting to the details of any technical deficiencies publicly.

Not a good situation at all...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 09-12-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 AM
winzerguy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

2006 Z06 Delivery September 2006. Daily Driven 155,000 miles for work in sales. Currently waiting for delivery of my 2013 Z06, same color (VY). After owing 7 Corvettes, the C6 is beyond a doubt the best Corvette ever.
Not too sure the C7 will have the same "raising the bar" for the brand as the C6 Z06 has done.
Wonderful car and fun every time.

Quick Reply: [Z06] The reputation of the corvette z06!