Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question about the displayed range

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM
XMike17
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the displayed range

Hey guys, I just traded my 2009 Z51 in for a 2008 Z06 and I absolutely love it. It was used, but with just 5500 miles so I thought it was a good deal. Anyway, I was wondering about the range. When I filled up my regular 2009 Vette, the range displayed was usually around 280-300 miles. With the Z06 though, when I fill it up it displays 189-190 and it's stayed there for a while despite me driving around. Also I noticed it tells me "Range Low" at closer to 1/3 a tank as opposed to 1/4 tank that my 2009 would tell me. Is this something I should take it in to the dealer for? Or is this kinda normal for the Z06's? Thanks so much in advance
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

That doesn't sound right... I'll get the low fuel message when the gas gauge is almost at the bottom of the scale. Bingo fuel is not a good place to be with these LS7 motors.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
That doesn't sound right... I'll get the low fuel message when the gas gauge is almost at the bottom of the scale. Bingo fuel is not a good place to be with these LS7 motors.
Same here.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 AM
XMike17
5th Gear

Oh ok, thanks guys. I was going to take it in Friday to reprogram a key fob so I'll be sure to tell them then
Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Definitely something wrong there. I get a range around 360 after a fill up and don't get the low range message until about a couple of gallons left in the tank.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

That range number will fluctuate with the previous driving habits (fuel flow as measured at the injectors) and logged MPG, IIRC.
With the amount of highway driving I do in Phoenix, my average MPG can be well into the mid-upper 20's. When this happens, I won't get a low fuel lamp indicator until I'm at 1/16 of a tank. At that time you have roughly 2 gallons of reserve fuel onboard (IIRC), so depending on what type of fuel flow has been registered at the injectors for this driving cycle, the approximate range will be based on that average MPG.....which from my experience, is roughly between 40+ miles until the ECU determines you'll have dry tanks.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 09-12-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as I can figure out the range is figured based on your current driving. I filled up in Albuquerque last year and my range was 499. I fill up after a day at the track and my range is less than 100 miles. This thread got me to thinking that the range might be based in instantaneous mileage because heading into Albuquerque is a big long downhill grade and I essentially just coasted in to the station.

My low range warning seems to come on when my range is 50 miles.

I have a 2008 Z06....
Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
As far as I can figure out the range is figured based on your current driving. I filled up in Albuquerque last year and my range was 499. I fill up after a day at the track and my range is less than 100 miles. This thread got me to thinking that the range might be based in instantaneous mileage because heading into Albuquerque is a big long downhill grade and I essentially just coasted in to the station.

My low range warning seems to come on when my range is 50 miles.

I have a 2008 Z06....
You are correct, and instantaneous MPG is based on fuel flow at the injector. The ECU knows the injector flow numbers (lbs/hr) and the injector pulse width at any given time. It then can calculate the instantaneous MPG by using this flow rate and the current vehicle speed.

But, if you were cruising and getting an average 26 MPG up to when you got the low fuel indicator, then went WOT until dry, you wouldn't make the calculated range
Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
You are correct, and instantaneous MPG is based on fuel flow at the injector. The ECU knows the injector flow numbers (lbs/hr) and the injector pulse width at any given time. It then can calculate the instantaneous MPG by using this flow rate and the current vehicle speed.

But, if you were cruising and getting an average 26 MPG up to when you got the low fuel indicator, then went WOT until dry, you wouldn't make the calculated range
Instantaneous mpg is constantly recalculating every second or so (hence the name instantaneous), so technically it wouldn't be based solely on the current reading. Probably an average based on the amount of fuel consumed the last couple of hundred miles or so.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That range number will fluctuate with the previous driving habits (fuel flow as measured at the injectors) and logged MPG, IIRC.
With the amount of highway driving I do in Phoenix, my average MPG can be well into the mid-upper 20's. When this happens, I won't get a low fuel lamp indicator until I'm at 1/16 of a tank. At that time you have roughly 2 gallons of reserve fuel onboard (IIRC), so depending on what type of fuel flow has been registered at the injectors for this driving cycle, the approximate range will be based on that average MPG.....which from my experience, is roughly between 40+ miles until the ECU determines you'll have dry tanks.
great explanation. This IS how it works. Drive it and smile Mike. Don't fret those DIC displays.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Instantaneous mpg is constantly recalculating every second or so (hence the name instantaneous), so technically it wouldn't be based solely on the current reading. Probably an average based on the amount of fuel consumed the last couple of hundred miles or so.
That instantaneous MPG number is derived from injector pulse width and vehicle speed sensor outputs, as measured at that exact moment in time.

Knowing the flow rate of all 8 injectors (in lbs/hr. at 100% duty cycle), the ECU knows pretty much spot on what the fuel consumption rate of the engine is, as it controls the injector pulse as well. Combine that data with the vehicle speed sensors at the wheels, the ECU computes instantaneous MPG.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM
#1hand
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

On a trip after filling up I've seen as much as 515 miles. Don't know about the low fuel lite as I never let it get that low.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I saw the low fuel light once (range displayed about 40 mi's remaining) and had to drive another 15 mi's before refueling.
Took just under 17 gals....

too close for comfort...
Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

That instantaneous MPG number is derived from injector pulse width and vehicle speed sensor outputs, as measured at that exact moment in time.

Knowing the flow rate of all 8 injectors (in lbs/hr. at 100% duty cycle), the ECU knows pretty much spot on what the fuel consumption rate of the engine is, as it controls the injector pulse as well. Combine that data with the vehicle speed sensors at the wheels, the ECU computes instantaneous MPG.
I'm not doubting how instantaneous mpg is calculated, I'm just saying that the estimated range isn't based on it (as was previously suggested) since instantaneous is exactly that, the mpg at that very instant. The estimated range is based on your recent (last couple hundred miles or so) fuel consumption and mileage.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:18 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

I usually get gas just about when the low range comes on. The boyfriend though.. that man runs EVERYTHING on the gas light. Drives me bonkers. Usually when I fill up I get about 300+ miles range, depending on my ***-hattery level of driving at the time
Old 09-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by XMike17
...I was wondering about the range. When I filled up my regular 2009 Vette, the range displayed was usually around 280-300 miles. With the Z06 though, when I fill it up it displays 189-190 and it's stayed there for a while despite me driving around. Also I noticed it tells me "Range Low" at closer to 1/3 a tank as opposed to 1/4 tank that my 2009 would tell me.
Reading responses detailing how an ECU processes mileage & fuel data, sounds like you're not driving your Z as you did the '09 Z51 car, huh.

Coming from an '06 Z51 to an '08 Z06, I understand completely.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I'm not doubting how instantaneous mpg is calculated, I'm just saying that the estimated range isn't based on it (as was previously suggested) since instantaneous is exactly that, the mpg at that very instant. The estimated range is based on your recent (last couple hundred miles or so) fuel consumption and mileage.
Ultimately, your estimated range and all MPG readings (both instantaneous and recorded average ) are based on injector duty cycle and the miles driven until you reset the DIC's MPG counter.

I'd be willing to bet that if the OP clears his Average MPG readings from the DIC, fills the gas tank up, and then drives a steady state 65 MPH for 10 minutes on level ground, his estimated range will show well over 450 miles and his displayed Average MPG number will be in excess of 26 MPG

Get notified of new replies

To Question about the displayed range

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question about the displayed range