Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Add a 08 to the list.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Add a 08 to the list.

Buddy owns a head repair shop and the chevy dealer had him see what went wrong. Guide was in spec and spring and retainers are fine. Miles are unknown at this point.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Ugly, Here we go again...
Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I am curious if this engine had a different cam or was modded in some other way.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I am curious if this engine had a different cam or was modded in some other way.
+1

That sucks. Hopefully more info can be had to determine if it was the valve specifically or some combination of things; I wonder how close to the service limit the guides were ( and were all guides measured or just the one)?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Originally Posted by 383vett
Ugly, Here we go again...
The fact is it's real.... He said there was no taper and no gauling on the valve.

Last edited by Corvette0096; 10-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette0096
Buddy owns a head repair shop and the chevy dealer had him see what went wrong. Guide was in spec and spring and retainers are fine. Miles are unknown at this point.

Originally Posted by Random84
+1

That sucks.
Uh, yes it does.

Originally Posted by Random84
Hopefully more info can be had to determine if it was the valve specifically or some combination of things; I wonder how close to the service limit the guides were ( and were all guides measured or just the one)?
Did I tell you just two days ago that this would happen again?

Have you seen enough now to finally take this a bit more seriously, or do other cars need to fail in order for this to sink in?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 PM
1981turbota
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh...this is getting old. I'm happy that I don't have access to my Z....temptation is a killer! New heads are #1....
Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

So this was a car out of warranty that someone brought into a dealer? And then the dealer is out sourcing the heads to your buddy ??

DH
Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So this was a car out of warranty that someone brought into a dealer? And then the dealer is out sourcing the heads to your buddy ??

DH
Yes car is under warranty. Dealer wanted to know what failed and sent in to my buddies cylinder head shop. I will post more when I hear more. But the guides are within specs.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes car is under warranty. Dealer wanted to know what failed and sent in to my buddies cylinder head shop. I will post more when I hear more. But the guides are within specs.
I think I have read every failed motor, dropped valve and head thread in the last few years. This is the first time I have ever read about a dealer sending heads out on a car under warranty. Wanting to hear more about how and why this would happen. BTW, you didn't make it clear ... is this a blown motor or not ??

DH
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

I think I have read every failed motor, dropped valve and head thread in the last few years. This is the first time I have ever read about a dealer sending heads out on a car under warranty. Wanting to hear more about how and why this would happen. BTW, you didn't make it clear ... is this a blown motor or not ??

DH
Thats all the info I have at this point. Not sure if it threw a rod ETC.......... He is going to ask about the car when the dealer picks up the head. They droped it off and asked them what went wrong. I have nothing more for you right now.

http://www.aluminumheads.com/

Last edited by Corvette0096; 10-31-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

DH
The car may have already had authorization to be fixed, been in the process of being fixed, or may have even been fixed, before the dealer took that cylinder head to that machine shop to get an opinion on why it failed.

If the dealer still had the failed part, and either he himself, or the customer whose car was being fixed under warranty, wanted to find out exactly what had happened to it, having one of the local reputable cylinder head shops look at it and give an opinion, would be an alternative.

Hoefi, among others, have gotten their failed parts back and had them inspected by people apart from GM.

Thats all the info I have at this point. Not sure if it threw a rod ETC.......... He is going to ask about the car when the dealer picks up the head. They droped it off and asked them what went wrong. I have nothing more for you right now.
Sounds reasonable to get an opinion as to what happened to that head from a business like that, if the dealer and/or the customer is aware of, or even if not aware of, this issue, and wanted to know exactly what happened.

But the head of an exhaust valve is missing, so it looks like another snapped off exhaust valve from the picture.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-31-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Surviving 67
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What dealership? I'm in Vancouver to and they just replaced my heads.

Bill
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I've come to expect at least one of these threads per month. I'm thouroughly convinced now that GM dropped the ball on these heads. Does anyone know who supplies them with these heads?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I've come to expect at least one of these threads per month. I'm thouroughly convinced now that GM dropped the ball on these heads. Does anyone know who supplies them with these heads?
I don't.

But if someone were to tell me that they came from out of China, I'd have no reason not to believe them.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 AM
1981turbota
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, I have heard the LS7 heads come from a supplier in Canada.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

DH

yes if you can please provide more information if you get it... was the car modded, tracked? Miles? What exactly happened... While the assumption is to blame the valves (and in this case the guides were in spec) , it is not smart to just lump this in with the other failures without more information... Other things can and do happen.

That is no knock on the OP,as it appears he is trying to get more info

Get notified of new replies

To Add a 08 to the list.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Originally Posted by billyjo
What dealership? I'm in Vancouver to and they just replaced my heads.

Bill
Nobody said Vancouver.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Originally Posted by FrankTank
yes if you can please provide more information if you get it... was the car modded, tracked? Miles? What exactly happened... While the assumption is to blame the valves (and in this case the guides were in spec) , it is not smart to just lump this in with the other failures without more information... Other things can and do happen.

That is no knock on the OP,as it appears he is trying to get more info
Like I said time and time again... I will let you know when I hear more. This is not the only head that this shop does.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

The car could have been covered by GMPP (a lot of people call it a warranty but it is really a service plan) and they were deciding whether to repair Vs replace. Since dealer shops don't have machine tools and machinists just sitting around waiting for a job to drop in it makes sense the heads would have been sent to a shop for an estimate on what it would take to fix them if possible.

I had a valve spring break in my old 69 Big Block which caused the valve to drop while traveling 800 miles from home. The local dealer pulled the head and found the valve jammed into the valve guide and twisted to one side so they sent the head to a local machine shop which was able to repair the head and return it in one day. The day after that I was back on the road.

Bill

Quick Reply: [Z06] Add a 08 to the list.