Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Heavily Modded Z06 or Stock ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach Z
The only reason I would take a zr1 over the Z06 would be if I NEEDED to have the warranty. You get more power without having to void the warranty. Lets face it the zr1 was suppose to be and was made for the track however can only lap the Nurburgring 3 seconds faster than the Z06/Z07 thats weak. A Z06 with intake and exhaust could run the same time or faster. For your specific case it sounds like you need to keep the Z06 stock and forget about the zr1. You said if you grabbed the zr1 you'd HAVE to keep it stock for a long time. With that being the case how would you get the Z06 back up and running if the motor blew if you wouldn't even be able to mod the zr1?
Please, you aren't gonna make up 3 sec nor 133 hp and not even close to 136lbft of tq out of an intake and exhaust on a z06... And faster? Lol
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
You're right; I'm convinced. I'm putting my car on the block first thing tomorrow morning.
The 3 ZR's that I just drove for the past 3 days on the track must have been broke as well.....
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
You're right; I'm convinced. I'm putting my car on the block first thing tomorrow morning.

On the other hand... perhaps you should try getting some first hand experience instead of believing (or misunderstanding) everything you read on the Intardwebz.

jas
No need to go back n forth here. Anytime you're in the area lets play on the track

Enjoy your ride, I'd want a ZR1 for the street anyday, considered buying one and modding it too but makes little sense to pull that nice mag susp to improve handling.

Last edited by nolimits; 11-17-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Mach Z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
Please, you aren't gonna make up 3 sec nor 133 hp and not even close to 136lbft of tq out of an intake and exhaust on a z06... And faster? Lol
1 you helped the OP how? 2 who said anything about making up the 133hp or 136tq, we all know the numbers here and shooting them out most def didn't help the fact that over 7 minutes it could only open a three second lead on a car with FAR less horsepower. 3 the Z06 would only have to make up .40 seconds per 60 seconds to run the same exact time as the zr1. An intake and exhaust wont make it slower. So like I said the same time or faster, and to help you sleep at night I'll add or pretty darn close.

OP stay stock until you have more of a rainy day fund.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ZO ZICK
zr1
Always start with the fastest car you can afford as it comes fromt the factory. Also, in the long run when you consider your resale value and how hard it is to sell a highly moddified vette/Z, the ZR1 makes more sense, and will give you more power than you know what to do with in stock form. Also, there have been WAY less issues with the LS9 engine vs the LS7.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 AM
DocT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO. It is not worth having another car payment. The differences are too little. If it's simply the power factor, put 4 pounds of boost through a power adder and you'll obliterate a stock ZR1. If it's styling points and ooohs/ahhha you're after, then get a earlier model gallardo.

Someone mentioned that none of these will ever be a collector. Wow. Seriously? I want to borrow your crystal ball then. Couple of things come to mind after fast forwarding 30 years
1. Highest HP old school corvette made (ZR1)
2. Last big NA engine corvette (Z06)

We'll see. Nobody can say that these cars WILL OR WON'T be considered collectors. Nobody.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett
Just went through the exact same dilemma. Contemplated completely rebuilding my C6Z or going to a ZR. My 06 Z was paid off, supercharged and had 17k miles on it. I decided to go with the new ZR. My car is just for street use (and bragging rights). Most ooh's and ah's I ever gotten on a car. The C6Z is a revolutionary car and is mostly preferred for the track (due to its balance) but the ZR is just a super car for more reasons than just the difference in horse power. Also just spent 3 days driving a ZR on the track at spring mtn and will tell you that the staff there will highly disagree with the negative things that have been stated about the ZR on the track in this thread

Either way, it a good decision to have to make. Good luck

bobafett's new 2011 screamin' yellow ZR1 (with some very tastefully-done custom CF appearance mods & HRE black wheels) is just awesome...
saw it this past weekend while traveling.

(and Prime Target's stock 2006 yellow Z06 was no slouch, either ! )

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 11-19-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: [Z06] Heavily Modded Z06 or Stock ZR1