Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Carbon by Halltech

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Carbon by Halltech

Dry Carbon pre-preg, vacuum bagged, oven cured:

http://www.halltechsystems.com/categ...show=10&page=1

http://www.halltechsystems.com/categ...show=10&page=2

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Halltech Carbon GT2 Hood in show carbon

Halltech Show Carbon GT2 DRED Hood, Halltech ZR1 style Carbon Roof/Halo:

60lbs weight savings vs. the stock SMC parts (including the Katech deck/Lexan Window)
The GT2 Hood is 13.6lbs; Roof and pillar are 14.4lbs lighter than stock and 3.5lbs lighter than the ZR1 counterparts.

Last edited by Halltech; 11-18-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey - I recognize that car!!! The carbon fiber parts look even more badass in person than they do in photos.

Roger
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are there clear instructions for the roof and halo install? Last I checked it seemed like a process was in development.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Are there clear instructions for the roof and halo install? Last I checked it seemed like a process was in development.
Katech has that process down pat. I recommend you contact Jason for more details.

The best way to install the top is in situate. Bonding is not difficult using Hysol 9460. The factory top comes with shims that are reusable to align everything perfectly.

The halo is a bolt on. One new gasket is required between the halo and rear window.

Most professional body shops could handle this, but I know Katech is doing them. They installed the one in the picture.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did my roof and halo and even replaced both ext. A-pillars and both full pieces of weather stripping. A good 3 hour job. It's very easy. You start with the roof liner, its held in by two screws by the sun visors. once that is off, there are 10 size 10mm bolts holding the roof on. Thats it. Hardest part: getting sun visors off and on again. First time doing it is a pain in the ***. Jim I still need my little "Halltech" sticker. Lol
Old 11-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Halltech
Katech has that process down pat. I recommend you contact Jason for more details.

The best way to install the top is in situate. Bonding is not difficult using Hysol 9460. The factory top comes with shims that are reusable to align everything perfectly.

The halo is a bolt on. One new gasket is required between the halo and rear window.

Most professional body shops could handle this, but I know Katech is doing them. They installed the one in the picture.
Thanks. With all due respect, since Halltech is selling them, wouldn't it make sense for Halltech to supply instructions instead of sending customers to Katech?

I am considering a set but don't have a clue on what to do with it when I get it. I'm sure most shops wouldn't have a clue either.

Thanks forg0tmypen, did you do this CF panel or the standard roof? I remember talk about bonding it to the roof structure that made it different from the standard roof. Btw, where did you get the A Pillar and weather stripping? Part numbers by any chance? Mine is still in good shape but I'd consider replacing it while I was at it.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:04 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Thanks. With all due respect, since Halltech is selling them, wouldn't it make sense for Halltech to supply instructions instead of sending customers to Katech?

I am considering a set but don't have a clue on what to do with it when I get it. I'm sure most shops wouldn't have a clue either.

Thanks forg0tmypen, did you do this CF panel or the standard roof? I remember talk about bonding it to the roof structure that made it different from the standard roof. Btw, where did you get the A Pillar and weather stripping? Part numbers by any chance? Mine is still in good shape but I'd consider replacing it while I was at it.
Like all parts I buy, they are gently used lol Got the weather stripping a few months ago here on the forum and the A-pillars bought when I got the roof and halo. I guess in my case there was no bonding required. The roof came with the frame and everything. But it's all really simple unbolting and unclipping. Good luck, it's totally worth it.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Got it. Thanks! Any pics? Would love to see a LMB Z with the CF roof.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What wheels are on that IO car?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
What wheels are on that IO car?
Those are Forgeline GA1R Open lugs wheels. 18x10 fronts and 18x13 rears that come in at a little over 19lbs for the fronts and 21lbs for the rears so they are light!

I'm the lucky guy that owns the IO Carbon Edition that Jim posted above and have to say that photo's simply do not do justice to the quality, fit and finish of the Halltech carbon pieces. There are companies that primarily make stuff to sell with an eye on maximizing profit and then there are companies that make stuff because the owners are passionate about what they do and want to make something better. The stuff that Jim makes falls in the second category. Every part that he makes he makes to the standards of what he would want to put on his own car and if you have ever seen Jim's Z06 you know it is flawless! These parts are too and honestly they might cost a few $ more than some of the other stuff out there but if you truly want then best, there is nothing better on the market!

Everything is pure carbon fiber through and through not the much cheaper to make fiberglass with a thin layer of carbon on the inside and outside for "the look". The parts are all super light weight (even his roof panel and halo are lighter that the OEM ZR1 carbon parts) and as far a quality lets just say that if you like to watch the factory corvette racing team on tv, the stuff is made by the same people that make the carbon parts on those cars so it is made by the best and there are no corners cut
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

If it was for the do-it-yourselfer I would agree, but bonding the roof is a complex process that involves the correct surface preparation, extremely expensive adhesive, and proper techniques. We've put a lot of research into this process and are able to do it here, so Halltech refers customers to us for the bonding process. This is not something that your average body shop can do.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
If it was for the do-it-yourselfer I would agree, but bonding the roof is a complex process that involves the correct surface preparation, extremely expensive adhesive, and proper techniques. We've put a lot of research into this process and are able to do it here, so Halltech refers customers to us for the bonding process. This is not something that your average body shop can do.
Thanks Jason.

Lets say I order this panel, then what do I do? Do I need to ship it to Katech and my roof panel along with it? What is the cost of Katech prepping the roof for installation?

I think the barrier to entry here is the fact we can't put the piece on. I'd love a new CF roof, but I just can't figure out how I'd get the thing on after I order it.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks Jason.

Lets say I order this panel, then what do I do? Do I need to ship it to Katech and my roof panel along with it? What is the cost of Katech prepping the roof for installation?

I think the barrier to entry here is the fact we can't put the piece on. I'd love a new CF roof, but I just can't figure out how I'd get the thing on after I order it.
You can order both from our website (10% off through tonight-use 10OFF coupon code); we will ship directly to them as soon as they are ready. Allow 1 week to 10 days. Katech will install the roof panel on one of the magnesium frames they have in stock; you ship your roof in exchange. If you send it before ours finishes, their will be no delay once they get the parts.

I highly recommend the halo with the roof. They go together and the halo is almost 6 lbs of the 14.4lbs weight savings.

http://www.halltechsystems.com/product-p/hzr1p.htm

Thanks,

Jim Hall
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

These are GM parts Jawnathin, but this is one mod you have to do!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Jim I see the pattern and direction of the weave is consistent between the two pieces. Why does GM have the carbon fiber going in different directions?

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon by Halltech

Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

How much did the GM parts cost? We paid over $4,000 at dealer prices.

Our roof and B pillar (halo) are $2023.20 with the 10% discount through tonight. We include the GM pillar/deck gasket.
Pictures Installed
Jim
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Jim I see the pattern and direction of the weave is consistent between the two pieces. Why does GM have the carbon fiber going in different directions?
I don't know why they do that. Ours carbon fiber roof/pillar pattern are the same for both parts; passenger to left quarter on both parts. We could match what GM does, but I prefer the matching pattern.

We installed the GM parts in order to use the stock parts for our carbon fiber molds. Look at our larger pictures on the Carbon Orange Z06 and you will see how our pattern matches. It also matches the hood and Super Bee/Super Beehive pattern.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Thanks Jim. So its not really a core exchange, but rather, you need my roof panel before the new one is shipped. This would lead to a bit of downtime for the car. Probably not awful if I could pull the roof myself, but not so great if I let a shop go at it.

Additionally, how would one get their stock roof panel back? Or is that removable before I would ship out the frame? Or is that a lost cause?

Louis, those look very nice. Thanks for sharing. Your car is really turning out great.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Carbon by Halltech