Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any updates?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would be nice if we hear itll happen in the next 2 weeks, im taking my heads off to send out somewhere for SOMETHING...
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Good news. I have received budget approval to run a valvetrain dynamics test for development purposes to prove out a few of the questions posed here on the forum. Before I write the test plan, I'm interested in hearing input from you guys to see if there are additional combinations that need testing. I'm not saying that every combination posted here will get tested, or any additional at all, but your suggestions will be considered.

We would like to run this test as soon as possible. The valvetrain test cell is currently down due to computer problems, but repairs are in progress that should get it back up and running within days. Because it was down there is a bit of a backup of programs that are waiting for testing so we will have to wait in line, but once it gets fixed that should go through smoothly. In other words, I can't guarantee exactly when, but it will get done soon.

Here is how I see the test plan:
1. Stock cam/springs, stock valves
2. Stock cam/springs, solid stainless exhaust valve
3. Stock cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valve
4. Torquer cam/PSI springs, stock valves (already tested long ago, but we will baseline again)
5. Torquer cam/PSI springs, solid stainless exhaust valves
6. Torquer cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valves
7. Torquer cam/PSI springs, Ti exhaust valve

The Torquer cam will be an example of your typical aftermarket cam lobe profile.

If there is any vendor out there who wishes to have their combination tested we would be happy to include it in the mix for just the cost of running the additional combinations.

Input is encouraged.
In the world of Engineering it would seem to me that you need to define the why, what and how of the tests. Your list looks like the what and I'm sure you'll define the how when you run the tests, but what is the why?
I know a lot of people would like to see the comparison of several setups but what is driving you to run the tests? plus before the tests are run what might the results tell us? is it possible to define poor, good and best?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why?
(Captain Obvious)
Is that a rhetorical question, Caller?
(/Captain Obvious)

Last edited by Random84; 02-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by jwmgr8
In the world of Engineering it would seem to me that you need to define the why, what and how of the tests. Your list looks like the what and I'm sure you'll define the how when you run the tests, but what is the why?
I know a lot of people would like to see the comparison of several setups but what is driving you to run the tests? plus before the tests are run what might the results tell us? is it possible to define poor, good and best?
The why is explained in post #24: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1582785923-post24.html

To understand what we are looking for, a good place to start is this article: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...e/viewall.html

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vertC6
Hi Jason,

What if I get enough forum members to chip in to buy a set of Yella Terra RR to test on the setup that you create for your testing. Essentially you would run your test then swap the rockers to run a second test for a A - B comparison with all things being equal.

Many of us want to know if the added weight over the tip will effect the valve train dynamics. Some have said it won't effect it at all and others say it will. This test would put that arguement to rest. I would like to use these rockers but not at the expense of valve float/bounce. Thank you for considering this test.

1. Vertc6 $50
It's not the parts cost (we only need one intake and one exhaust) it's time. The question is, which combination (see original post) would this be A-B tested on?
Bumping this since several expressed interested (vertC6, myself, Mookster, Bad Ax, spinkick, RFE-57, atljar, and Michael D). To directly answer Jason's question (at least from my perspective):

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason, in the OP
[...] Here is how I see the test plan:
4. Torquer cam/PSI springs, stock valves (already tested long ago, but we will baseline again)
6. Torquer cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valves

The Torquer cam will be an example of your typical aftermarket cam lobe profile. If there is any vendor out there who wishes to have their combination tested we would be happy to include it in the mix for just the cost of running the additional combinations. Input is encouraged.
1a. Above w/Yella Terra 1.8
--- Since the above is expected to fail, no additional test.
3a. Above w/Yella Terra 1.8
4a. Above w/Yella Terra 1.8 (assuming stock springs will not carry the weight in 1a above).
6. Torquer cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valves.
6a. Above w/Yella Terra 1.8
--- Test only if all YT combinations above w/OEM valve fail.

Depending on how things shake out, that looks like about 4 additional tests.

My main concern, while acknowledging that the aluminum rocker may not be the best choice in the long run (but it is the most cost-efficient in the short run), are scattered industry reports that a roller tipped rocker will reduce -- or at least equalize -- side load on the valve guide compared to the OEM style rocker, and do have a slight range of adjustment to center the wipe pattern on the valve stem tip (an unsolvable problem we are seeing with some OEM rockers). Given the problems the OEM LS7 heads have with valve guides, and given that we don't know exactly what is causing those problems, any help at all -- such as a reduction in side load or a centering of the wipe -- seems to be a worthwhile pursuit.

Last edited by Mark2009; 02-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:41 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Bumping this since several expressed interested (vertC6, myself, Mookster, Bad Ax, spinkick, RFE-57, atljar, and Michael D). To directly answer Jason's question (at least from my perspective):

1a. Above w/Yella Terra 1.8
3a. Above w/Yella Terra 1.8
4a. Above w/Yella Terra 1.8 (assuming stock springs will not carry the weight in 1a above).
6. Torquer cam/dual springs, solid stainless exhaust valves.
6a. Above w/Yella Terra 1.8
--- Test only if all YT combinations above w/OEM valve fail.

Depending on how things shake out, that looks like about 4 additional tests.

My main concern, while acknowledging that the aluminum rocker may not be the best choice in the long run (but it is the most cost-efficient in the short run), are scattered industry reports that a roller tipped rocker will reduce -- or at least equalize -- side load on the valve guide compared to the OEM style rocker, and do have a slight range of adjustment to center the wipe pattern on the valve stem tip (an unsolvable problem we are seeing with some OEM rockers). Given the problems the OEM LS7 heads have with valve guides, and given that we don't know exactly what is causing those problems, any help at all -- such as a reduction in side load or a centering of the wipe -- seems to be a worthwhile pursuit.
That's pretty much what I had in mind.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The why is explained in post #24: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1582785923-post24.html

To understand what we are looking for, a good place to start is this article: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...e/viewall.html
Good.

Probably better to not get sidetracked on all of the other wild suggestions, and get to the bottom of what it is you are searching for.

Good luck and looking forward to your results.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

Obviously you should be thanked for your efforts and all the BS you sort through to help all of us better understand our engines.
I'm still curious do you test to failure? or are there specific numbers you'll record that helps define "safe"?
I'm just glad we have some one like you sorting through the fog of data. I'm sure you've seen 1000's of LS7's over the years and you have a much better understanding of the dynamics of this engine than 99.9% of the people on the forum
good luck
Old 02-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

The only thing that could make this test better would be some video to post on Youtube at the conclusion. There is some very interesting stuff out there, but none specific to our LS7 engines.

This one shows some of the effects of valve float in an RPM range close to the LS7.

Here's another clip showing a multi-spring set up at 7000 RPM that looks pretty stable.

This one is just off the charts. OHC BMW at 14K RPM. Of course F1 engines have exceeded 20K RPM but are now regulated to 17 or 18K.

A good article comparing NASCAR Cup engines to F1. The Good Ol Boys are smarter than you might think. Includes some commentary on valve train components.
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine..._cup_to_f1.htm

A very good article on valve spring technology, the Spintron, and the high costs of R&D.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...nascar-6643778
Old 02-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
[...] A good article comparing NASCAR Cup engines to F1. The Good Ol Boys are smarter than you might think. Includes some commentary on valve train components.

A very good article on valve spring technology, the Spintron, and the high costs of R&D.
Good stuff, thanks for posting

As to the Good Ol Boys, I recall that decades ago Smokey Yunick was into ceramics (engine parts and even engines). That was outer space stuff at the time. Maybe still is . . . .

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
The only thing that could make this test better would be some video to post on Youtube at the conclusion. There is some very interesting stuff out there, but none specific to our LS7 engines.

T
A good article comparing NASCAR Cup engines to F1. The Good Ol Boys are smarter than you might think. Includes some commentary on valve train components.

Some video might be cool to go along with the results if possible.

I'd also point out that what is most relevant to this proposed Katech test on the LS7 is the valve bounce. The first video shows that at about the 3:12 mark pretty well.

If one reads the original test Katech conducted with PSI 1511 springs and the 98g inconel valve, the limiting factor was the valve bounce much more than the valve float.

Last edited by Rock36; 02-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Gents,

Here's another good article that I've had saved for a while. A good discussion on the progression of valve trains in OHV engines.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...m/viewall.html

This video features the C6R 5.5 liter race engine. The valve train is clearly visible about 1.30 minutes in. The rockers appear to be Jesel aluminum. Does anyone know if the Jesel rockers are used primarily for reliability or mechanical friction reduction? Any information on how fast these engines spin?

Our LS7s are running pretty large valves, and making them live at 7K RPM with mass production components (i.e. cheapest possible) is no small accomplishment. I would love it if the LS7 survived another generation of development, and I would have paid up to buy another one with higher spec components. Further development of the LS7 is now up to us and the aftermarket. Again, I applaud Katech for offer to do this testing.

Last edited by Bad_AX; 02-10-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by jwmgr8
Obviously you should be thanked for your efforts and all the BS you sort through to help all of us better understand our engines.
I'm still curious do you test to failure? or are there specific numbers you'll record that helps define "safe"?
I'm just glad we have some one like you sorting through the fog of data. I'm sure you've seen 1000's of LS7's over the years and you have a much better understanding of the dynamics of this engine than 99.9% of the people on the forum
good luck
We are not doing durability or destructive testing. Only dynamics. Safe limits will be defined in our report.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM
mistermog
Drifting

any eta?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by mistermog
any eta?
Sorry, no.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
hoefi
Racer

Just like the guide wear report. No ETA either.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by hoefi
Just like the guide wear report. No ETA either.
I posted about the guide wear report. Once GM made the announcement it kind of made it irrelevant. The report was just a collection of measurements that's been duplicated numerous times on this forum.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 PM
hoefi
Racer

I posted about the guide wear report. Once GM made the announcement it kind of made it irrelevant. The report was just a collection of measurements that's been duplicated numerous times on this forum.

You did??? Where and when???

Just measurements, and no possible cause(s)? I did say "possible" cause, not "definite" cause.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum