Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ANOTHER Dropped Valve in a Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Man that Sucks....

Keep us posted......

Mark
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDIT - nevermind, I realized Wolf was responding to another poster in the thread and not OP.

This might be more of a lesson in "what can go wrong buying modded cars" moreso than "another dropped valve" given the miles, the aftermarket cam, dual valve springs, the rounded off and over-torqued rocker bolts (!), presumably a tune and God-knows-what-else from the previous owner that you were not aware of until you pulled the valve covers. A lot of what-if's here, but it sucks none the less. Hell, if anything maybe we should be amazed and singing praises that it went 56,000 miles?

Glad to see you're retaining your sense of humor!

Last edited by Random84; 01-18-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Holy $hit I almost baught that car before you did but decided the miles were a little to high. Sorry to hear this...
Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Jackal
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Random84
This might be more of a lesson in "what can go wrong buying modded cars" moreso than "another dropped valve"
Normally, and/or if this were a C5, I would completely agree with you on this point. However, since the valve issues have been so prevalent in many Z06's, modded or otherwise, I think it is still a vaiable example of the problem that GM is trying to ignore. I agree, that I took all the risk, on buying a modded car, with no warranty, and I am gonig to take full responsibility to fix my car. This does not negate the fact that GM has a major problem that they are trying to wash their hands of.

Thank you for the kind wishes!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would lean more towards it being an installers(shops) fault as to why the engine popped. Could the valves have a part in this? Possibly, but I wouldn't put all my money on the valves.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Jackal
Drifting

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
I would lean more towards it being an installers(shops) fault as to why the engine popped. Could the valves have a part in this? Possibly, but I wouldn't put all my money on the valves.
I hear you, and believe me, I am not happy with the shop's work on this motor. However, it looks like the valves, and even the heads were left on the motor. It seems to me that they just did a cam swap, installed dual valve springs, and buttoned it up. Any way you slice it, I am still fully responsible in this case. I assumed all of the risk.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Oh boy... You have a lot of reading (catching up) to do!
Read about LS7 valve guide premature wear. It may take a few days.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM
HZ06
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218
Pay for an inspection at a GM dealership. I'm under gm warranty for one more month. If they find the valves are good, that's awesome. If they're bad, New heads for free.

Either way, if my engine ever pops I can show that I paid the money to have a preventative measure done and that will invoke some out of warranty repairs good will.

And on top of that I have a third party warranty for 4 yrs 100k.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
I hear you, and believe me, I am not happy with the shop's work on this motor. However, it looks like the valves, and even the heads were left on the motor. It seems to me that they just did a cam swap, installed dual valve springs, and buttoned it up. Any way you slice it, I am still fully responsible in this case. I assumed all of the risk.
I agree. Sorry to hear though, but the shop should have replaced the valves when they were already that deep into the motor. Keep up posted on update.

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
Oh boy... You have a lot of reading (catching up) to do!
Read about LS7 valve guide premature wear. It may take a few days.
Yes I have read everything about it and its a low % of Z06s that have the problem. Not everyone is going to have a valve guide issue. Yes I bought my warranty in case this happens so I won't be $18K out of pocket after the $40K i dropped on the car. My car is bone stock. So for now I am worry free even if it does blow. If it blows I will be taking it to any shop of my desire (a lot of good shops here in Houston) to replace the motor with fixed heads. All covered under warranty except the aftermarket valves. But who knows maybe my insurance would pay for those?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

EDIT - nevermind, I realized Wolf was responding to another poster in the thread and not OP.

This might be more of a lesson in "what can go wrong buying modded cars" moreso than "another dropped valve" given the miles, the aftermarket cam, dual valve springs, the rounded off and over-torqued rocker bolts (!), presumably a tune and God-knows-what-else from the previous owner that you were not aware of until you pulled the valve covers. A lot of what-if's here, but it sucks none the less. Hell, if anything maybe we should be amazed and singing praises that it went 56,000 miles?

way too many unknowns with this Z...Good luck with the fix action OP
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunate set of circumstances.

Please let us know what you find during the tear down and good luck with the repair.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems like last time I almost rounded the rocker bolts when checking the rocker arm wear pattern. I was thinking they were
8mm = .314961 in. When they were really
5/16 = .312500 in.

I guess that 25 thousandths makes a difference?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Seems like last time I almost rounded the rocker bolts when checking the rocker arm wear pattern. I was thinking they were
5/16 = .312500 in.

It's 8mm. They are not 5/16

But you have to be sure that you are using a good quality 8mm socket. Preferably a new one.

My rocker bolts had red loctite on them and I removed them with a good 8mm socket.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be more of a lesson in "what can go wrong buying modded cars" moreso than "another dropped valve" given the miles, the aftermarket cam, dual valve springs, the rounded off and over-torqued rocker bolts (!), presumably a tune and God-knows-[I]what-else[/I] from the previous owner that you were not aware of until you pulled the valve covers. A lot of what-if's here, but it sucks none the less. Hell, if anything maybe we should be amazed and singing praises that it went 56,000 miles?

then you would think there would be other issues..like a spun main bearing, cam bearings,ect. but always the same dropped valves..it is very rare to drop a valve. but not with the ls7 it's the norm.....Op sorry to hear but if your block is ok it would be one of the few
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
It's 8mm. They are not 5/16

But you have to be sure that you are using a good quality 8mm socket. Preferably a new one.

My rocker bolts had red loctite on them and I removed them with a good 8mm socket.
I was almost positive it was 8mm too. But the 8mm 6 point socket i had wiggled and didn't fit snugly. And these rocker arms had obviously never been off the engine.

The 5/16 six point was nice and snug. Bolts were not rounded.
Never had that type of issue with my sockets, but maybe they are crap...

Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
LOL, you made me laugh, and that is always therepudic. Thankfully, I didn't leave any oil trails, or smoke. I did leave lots of verbal polution however...haha!
i could easily imagine that
Old 01-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Jackal
Drifting

The bolts are 8mm. I tried both my 8mm and my 5/16, and because of how rounded off the bolts were, they actually broke both of my craftsman sockets. On my C5, I have had the rockers on and off about 6 times (or more), and never had this type of problem, even with red locktite on them.

Get notified of new replies

To ANOTHER Dropped Valve in a Z06...

Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I was almost positive it was 8mm too. But the 8mm 6 point socket i had wiggled and didn't fit snugly. And these rocker arms had obviously never been off the engine.

The 5/16 six point was nice and snug. Bolts were not rounded.
Never had that type of issue with my sockets, but maybe they are crap...

I know my 8mm was not the best quality socket.

I think we had this discussion before, and it was why I tried my 5/16 six point, and had no luck with it.

So I went out and bought two brand new individual 8mm sockets, 3/8 drive, from Advance Auto parts a couple of days ago when I installed my CHE rockers.

I had no trouble getting them off. And like I say, we used red loctite when the original work was done.

Before anyone gets up in arms about the loctite, I have to say that the significant heat in those cylinder heads, makes loctite not nearly as effective as you would expect it to be.

In fact, heat is what you use to loosen loctite.

I had to work a little to get them off, they were snug, but nothing crazy or even near to it. I was never in danger of breaking anything.

I was a little nervous when I learned that red loctite had been used on them. I had heard of a few people in here using blue loctite on the rocker arm bolts, but never red.

But they came right off, and I used a little red loctite when I reinstalled the new rockers too, to minimize the chance of them loosening.

But a good quality 8mm socket is the way to go with these head bolts. I'm convinced of it.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-18-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

5/16 = .312500 in.

22lb-ft is the same whether its 8mm or 5/16", if my math is correct.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bummer to hear, especially to another local.

Do you know who the shop was? A PM would work if you didn't want to disclose them publicly.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ANOTHER Dropped Valve in a Z06...