Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam Swap - Condenser Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam Swap - Condenser Removal?

Has anyone swapped their cam and managed to leave the AC condenser? What about the oil cooler and radiator shroud? I don't want to discharge my system I don't have a recovery unit.

Now, if it's not possible to swap cams with the condenser in place, and you drain the system - do you have to replace the line dryer? I heard if you open your AC system you would have to replace the dryer as well.

If you have to replace the dryer/drier (AC Accumulator?) - where is it located what is involved with replacing it? How to?

I have everything ready to pull out just trying to decide if to wrestle the radiator out without the condenser or not.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Sorry to pop your bubble, but I tried to yank the cam with the shroud and condenser in place. It ain't gunna happen unless you take a hole saw to it... You have to either drop the cradle, or pull the shroud and tie the condenser up and out of the way. I would recommend dropping the cradle over the other method.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I raised the condensor up and out of the way as well. Removed the shroud though. I went the remove rack method and did not like it one bit. Cam swap is pretty straight forward. Rack and power steering R&R were the 2 items that were a PITA. That was why I paid someone to swap my second cam.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

I am dropping the cradle as we speak. have to anyway to install the pfadt headrs and engine mounts.

was hoping to avoid the mess of removing the oil cooler just to get the dang radiator shroud off. what a pain. I guess I'll try the air pressure method to remove as much oil as possible.

Thanks for the info. I plan on dropping the cradle down and prop the condenser up.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

is it even possible to get the condenser off the radiator when the AC lines are still attached? The hard line on the bottom of the condenser (the non-flexible one) doesn't have any give to go around the should that is in the side of the radiator molding. wtf
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
C6Zhopeful393
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped the craddle to do my cam swap and still needed to swing the condenser up and out of the way but there is enough play for someone to hold the condenser while you slide the cam out and put the new one in. If you have a decent amount of automotive experience this should be a pretty straight forward job
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m in the process now as I type this. I yanked the shroud and pulled everything back. You should remove the oil cooler. It’s 4 bolts and two lines that come out with clips...or just disconnect the lines and leave it on the shroud. Be sure not to lose the little clips that hold the oil lines. Steering rack was not difficult. I removed both bolts holding it in from underneath the car. The PS pump came out nicely and I moved the alternator out of the way for a bit more room. The hardest part was carefully separating the condenser from the radiator and trying to keep everything undamaged or marked up in anyway (bolts, plastics, clips, ect). You want to try to not break any clips on the radiator holding the condenser. I had to get it in just the right spot and it came out. Very challenging to do and I spent an hour messing with it. I also took the radiator out with the fans assembled. Tonight I will pull the crank pulley out via impact and a puller. I hope to swap the cam out this evening and button up all the timing components.

Last edited by Svre46; 04-22-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Yeah I got the oil cooler off. I took the lines off the oil pan, undid the bracket holding the lines to give some play, and used a low volume of compressed air to empty the oil out of the lines/cooler. It was must less messy this way, just a paper shop towel under the lines next to the cooler collected any remaining oil.

In 30 minutes of trying last night I could not get the radiator off the condenser. I have the assembly of the radiator and condenser still attached and zip tied as far up as possible on the hood arms. I will try again tonight after work or maybe i'll be able to slip the cam out under both of them. Frustrating.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Getting the condenser off the radiator was a downright PITA. I recall prying, praying, head scratching, etc, etc... Then while I was about to get real abusive, the damn thing just "popped" off without any effort. I have no friggin idea why. I could not for the life of me get the two married together again either. I ended up trimming the bottom radiator tab a little bit. Pulling the freon and re-charging it would be a lot easier, but I really don't know how to go about doing that, or what would be involved. This is a miserable job, to say the least. I reckon it would get easier the more you do, but for the one time DIY'er, there are a lot of little things that you encounter that are just plain "why in the hell did GM do that" moments.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

just finished mine today. i left the shroud and the oil cooler in. no need to remove those at all. condensor has to come out. remove fans first, then tilt radiator back towards engine n slip condensor out. patience here is a must. in that order, its the easiest way. leave cradle in, slip rack all the way to passenger side so its out of the way.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM
mistermog
Drifting

I took the shroud and oil cooler out and moved the condenser out of the way slightly and left it completely connected. I just did mine too... its cam season!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Svre46
Pro

Originally Posted by mistermog
I took the shroud and oil cooler out and moved the condenser out of the way slightly and left it completely connected. I just did mine too... its cam season!
x2 Tis cam season. My cam is in. Should be able to wrap the install up tonight and then start her up end of this week after my ECU is back.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
C6Zhopeful393
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just took mine out for the maiden voyage (hood excluded lol) all went smoothly cam season is the best season
Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default condenser stays

pull radiator, fans ....... hold the condenser up ( BE CAREFUL) and work around it. there is plenty of room.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

trying.... i couldn't get the dang radiator to slip away from the condensor because of the hard metal line on the bottom of the passenger side. I have not given it another try yet though.

I might try to see if the cam can slip out underneath both of them (with someone holding both of them up as a unit)
Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Svre46
Pro

Originally Posted by erichg1000
trying.... i couldn't get the dang radiator to slip away from the condensor because of the hard metal line on the bottom of the passenger side. I have not given it another try yet though.

I might try to see if the cam can slip out underneath both of them (with someone holding both of them up as a unit)
I just put the car back together last night. I will start her today when I get home. I ended up shaving that bottom plastic bracket you are talking about slightly because I could not get the damn condenser back on. I see why shops just drain the thing and fill it up. I also see why shops drop the cradle. Now the condenser will still will firmly stay in place but I can slide it back and up with light force when trying to remove it from the radiator. Damn thing drove me crazy. Worse than getting the rack back in.

If you try to remove the cam while leaving the whole radiator/condenser in let us know. Maybe you can get away with it by just taking the fans off/lifting the assembly up.

Last edited by Svre46; 04-25-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Sorry to pop your bubble, but I tried to yank the cam with the shroud and condenser in place. It ain't gunna happen unless you take a hole saw to it... You have to either drop the cradle, or pull the shroud and tie the condenser up and out of the way. I would recommend dropping the cradle over the other method.
If you drop the cradle, can you get the cam out and in without fooling with the steering rack and radiator/condenser stuff at all?

I looked at a DIY on dropping the cradle, and that looked like no cakewalk either... dropping the A-arms, taking the front spring loose, have to support the engine with a cherry picker?

If I get into this job (cam swap), I do have the know how and tools to bleed out (and recharge) the refrigerant and remove the condenser and radiator as a unit, if that is easier than dropping the cradle and/or trying to figure out the Chinese puzzle of separating them and getting them out of the way w/out dropping the cradle.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

I don't know for sure. I went straight out. I was wishing I had tried the cradle method half way through though. If you can evac the condenser, that will make the job slightly easier.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way I'd drop the cradle. That's way more work than moving the rack and the condenser.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam Swap - Condenser Removal?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam Swap - Condenser Removal?