Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally the Answer We've all Been....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I am just the messenger straight from 2 valve manufacturers mouth. [...]
While you may be a messenger, the message makes no sense. Actually there is no message, there is just your interpretation of a couple of phone calls. Do you know who you spoke to? Salesman? Engineer?

Janitor?

Do you know if either of these companies make a sodium valve that matches the specification they gave? Did they suggest anyone that does make such a valve? One that the sodium cavity stops more than an inch above the head, as they described?

Did they point you to any technical paper or internet technical source describing the method of construction that they related to you? Or describing how the GM sodium valve construction is incorrect or 'defective'?

[...] What i CAN tell you is all the evidence brought forth by valve manf. and major big name head companies [...]
Absent any of the above, you don't have any evidence. You have a story. A second hand one, at that.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
While you may be a messenger, the message makes no sense. Actually there is no message, there is just your interpretation of a couple of phone calls. Do you know who you spoke to? Salesman? Engineer?

Janitor?

Do you know if either of these companies make a sodium valve that matches the specification they gave? Did they suggest anyone that does make such a valve? One that the sodium cavity stops more than an inch above the head, as they described?

Did they point you to any technical paper or internet technical source describing the method of construction that they related to you? Or describing how the GM sodium valve construction is incorrect or 'defective'?

Absent any of the above, you don't have any evidence. You have a story. A second hand one, at that.
Ok smart guy, if this is a story i am making up then you should call them yourself and get the story straight from them. Tell them they are nutty and their story doesn't make sense and get back to me. How's that sound!? Oh that's right, you don't want to know the answer because it might be one that you continue to refute......
Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok smart guy, if this is a story i am making up then you should call them yourself and get the story straight from them. [...]
Oh my, this is classic!! Are you sure you guys don't have a talking points memo that you pass around?
1. Make a claim that someone told you something.

2. If someone questions what you claim they said, then tell them to call the person themself to confirm it
Come on... a kindergarten debate team knows better than to try and pull something that dumb

I don't know if you're making it up, were unknowingly abducted by aliens, or simply got punked by some bored person at the end of an 800 number. All I know is that the story you presented in the OP makes no sense at all. At least not in this dimension. A sodium valve that is unable, by design, to cool the valve head. Really. o.m.g.....

Last edited by Mark2009; 05-04-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...this is a most epic battle !
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

C5R Timing Chains Break
Double Roller timing chains break
Stock Timing Chains break....

It has been identified as the main culprit to be the damper and not the chain.

This could be the same scenario... LS6 valves are sodium filled and we didn't see this debacle.

Katech uses them
Lingenfelter uses them.

They are by far the 2 biggest vendors out there... A couple of other vendors like Cartek are using the stockers and everything....

I would say, valve is not the issue... guide or guide angle is....

Changing the valve to a solid one does prevent a catastrophic failure in the event that all else fails. So its a good investment or a good peace of mind to buy/swear by them...

The sodium filled valve is probably weaker.... but it's not the culprit. Many manufacturers have been using them w/o issues.... and some have like Ferrari once had.

My guess... not bad valves, but bad head design/machine error.... One thing though....

The ls9 that we have on the shop after lingenfelter heads, you can ONLY hear the injectors firing....

My LS7 with lingenfelter heads is another different story.... The main difference between both is 1.8 rocker... something has got to be off that is wearing out or making it worse on the ls7 heads.

On my engine i still use OEM valves (new) and so has every other engine that we have built.

I am not sure of the stroke of the LS7 will permit, but I would use 1.7 rocker arms and a bigger cam lobe...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally the Answer We've all Been....