Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] POLL: Valve Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
I agree but the debate should be over at this point there is a problem. and us members should do something about it instead of fighting with each other.
Completely agree. Threads like the Valve one currently being discussed lose credibility to many people looking for real answers to a real problem if it just becomes a bicker match of who is right and who is wrong.

If you just dropped a valve and came here for assistance would you want to read through page after page of bickering? I know for me it creates uncertainty of who is right and who is wrong.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 PM
icrashevos
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's just now starting to get rolling. the failure rates are gonna go up. I agree with you. but when ppl lose a 15k engine some will be pissed and make their own thread I would
This is what happened to me... only difference with my thread and others is the 200+ pictures I attached... lol
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
I think a good first post with everything we know including statements from reputable shops and their recommended fixes.
We of course have this information in here already, but it's not all in the same place.

To be honest, I could put something like that together myself, i.e. list the vendors in here who recommend one method of managing this matter, vs those who advocate another method.

But I don't know that posting that information up in the form of a sticky would send the right message to people visiting this forum.

The fact that such a thread is "needed", and at the very top of the forum no less, so that it can be seen and read by all who enter, i.e. a thread basically giving owners and potential owners, instructions and a roadmap, on what to do for when your motor pops, or worse, what to do to prevent it from popping, is an embarrassment and amounts to an admission that the problem is not minor. Anything but. Certainly won't inspire confidence.

To nail that to the top of this forum, could have serious repercussions on the already reeling reputation of the LS7. It's bad enough, that Rocker thread they have up. You definitely would not want a "Prevention and Management of Popped Motor" sticky thread above or beneath that too.

Worst case scenario, this could have an impact on resale value, as well as impact new and used sales of Z06s of forum dealers, and off forum dealers, and impact their bottom lines well beyond any detrimental effects this issue has had thus far to this point.

I don't see the forum dealers in here, who pay to advertise in here, being on board for something like this.

In short, I don't see such an endeavor, which would basically be a "We're the guys to call for when your motor pops" thread, as being necessarily a good thing.

Completely agree. Threads like the Valve one currently being discussed lose credibility to many people looking for real answers to a real problem if it just becomes a bicker match of who is right and who is wrong.

If you just dropped a valve and came here for assistance would you want to read through page after page of bickering? I know for me it creates uncertainty of who is right and who is wrong.
No, I wouldn't.

But like I say above, I'm not so sure a sticky, basically admitting this problem, is a good thing. On the contrary, if anyone thinks that it is blown out of proportion now, well then a sticky on engine failures, would definitely blow it even further out of proportion.

I would simply want to know "What works so that this doesn't happen to me again", and I would want to know it from professionals who have experience in it's management, as well as private owner's who have experience with it's management and I'd like to know of their outcomes.

I would want to hear from more than one professional, and I would want to know the backgrounds of those professionals.

I would have no use however, for the musing of those who had absolutely no experience in it's management, nor in evaluating outcomes of various methods of managing it, and would make that known no sooner than I stepped in here.

But I think we can get that in a regular thread.

A consolidated thread discussing the topic would be better.
Look at what we have in the stickies now and really it's bad enough. The clutch pedal issue, the head swap how to, the rocker arm issue, and ask yourself how a "popped motor issue, prevention and management" sticky would look alongside the rest of them.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-06-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
1. Agree on the consolidation, OP. Or a sub-forum.

2. Why must a holed block result in a $15K engine? Seriously, wouldn't a bare block and a rebuild with salvaged parts be an option? For sure you'd need: bare block, couple of valves, one bare cylinder head, one piston, probably a piston pin and maybe a rod. Plus all the consumables (gaskets, bearings, bushings, seals, etc). Crank should survive, shouldn't it?

Some stuff you probably couldn't clean the debris out of and should replace to be on the safe side: oil lines for sure, intake manifold maybe, cats maybe.

I have to be overlooking something?
Originally Posted by Mark200X
Ah. The price tag starts going up for a rebuild, then... I saw that a new bare block starts at $3K; a crank would be another $1K. One (!) piston is $800, a bare head is $1K, one con rod is $350 (cheaper than I would have thought). Man.... over $6K and just getting started.

Okay, thanks for the info

If I was unlucky enough to have my car's engine "blow up" I wouldn't want any of the motor's parts re-used, including the block. Just replace the entire motor and move on. The perception of greater reliability resides in the latter course of action.

For those no longer having warranty, this is a serious economic gamble to take: either fix the heads/valve-train using an upgraded after-market solution, or sell the car if one can't afford to replace the engine if it breaks. And not everyone can, either...

Damn shame...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Another Soap Box for a few Forum would love that
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree but the debate should be over at this point there is a problem. and us members should do something about it instead of fighting with each other.

Quick Reply: [Z06] POLL: Valve Problems