Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Take it for what its worth...

Old 06-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Take it for what its worth...

Hesitant to make yet another valve thread, but for the purpose of education and knowledge, here is another report from C6 Gen. No signs of letting up...

he said he had a 2006 Z06 with headers a cam and tune that was running low 11's.

He cuts a nice light, spins his drag slicks into 3rd gear, runs a 12.04. I turn the guy next to me and say, wow he normally runs 11's, then I hear oh no, I look and smoke pouring out from his car. He dropped a valve and scattered his LS7 all over the track.
Bummer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-an-axle.html
Old 06-01-2013, 03:00 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Hesitant to make yet another valve thread, but for the purpose of education and knowledge, here is another report from C6 Gen. No signs of letting up...

Bummer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...e-an-axle.html
Originally Posted by stingraynick75
The wife an I just did a 2770 mile road trip last weekend in our new 08 vette. Thursday I ordered a new Borla Attak axle back exhaust so I decided tonight to take it to Woodburn Dragstrip and see what it would run, I get tech inspection and my helmet is out of date, I cant run. A nice guy is standing there looking at my car and says, you can borrow my helmet because I'm done racing for the night. Cool...he said he had a 2006 Z06 with headers a cam and tune that was running low 11's. I get to the line, dont do a burn out, traction control off,light comes on, I dump the clutch at 2000 rpm and BANG...RPM go up but I don't move. I limp back to the lot. He comes over and says sorry, things like this happen. I give him back his helmet and he decides to make another pass. He cuts a nice light, spins his drag slicks into 3rd gear, runs a 12.04. I turn the guy next to me and say, wow he normally runs 11's, then I hear oh no, I look and smoke pouring out from his car. He dropped a valve and scattered his LS7 all over the track. The announcer says ...not a good night for vettes....Thanks Steve, hope things get better
Bad break for that guy. Hope the repairs go well for him.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another one bites the dust? I'm convinced that any MOD or any stress on the LS7, like running it to redline, spells doom in the long run.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:02 AM
sky1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as drag racing I wonder how the early year z06's get there oil temp up before making a run. When I had an 06 Z it would take forever for the oil temp to be over 150.My 12 is alot better but I would have to idle the car for a while to get it over 150.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Another one bites the dust? I'm convinced that any MOD or any stress on the LS7, like running it to redline, spells doom in the long run.
Mod or stress on one with a stock valvetrain yes, get the heads done period and less worries
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,158 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Looks like another modified Z06 driven a quarter mile at a time biting the dust
Old 06-01-2013, 08:07 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IM convinced prolonged drag racing will spell DOOM for any motor at some point in time.............
Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraynick75, in the C6 forum, @ 01:41 AM EDT today
The wife an I just did a 2770 mile road trip last weekend in our new 08 vette. Thursday I ordered a new Borla Attak axle back exhaust so I decided tonight to take it to Woodburn Dragstrip and see what it would run, [...] He dropped a valve and scattered his LS7 all over the track. [...]
The guy is describing something that happened probably last night, or two nights ago at the earliest, to someone he apparently never met before. How does he already know what failed in the engine? Did they pull the heads at the track?

Last edited by Mark2009; 06-01-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
The guy is describing something that happened probably last night, or two nights ago at the earliest, to someone he apparently never met before. How does he already know what failed in the engine? Did they pull the heads at the track?

At this point, If I drove by a Z stranded on the side of the road, my first thought would be?? Guess?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, If I drove by a Z stranded on the side of the road, my first thought would be?? Guess?
Stolen.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
Stolen with an exhaust valve snapped in two.
Fixed.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Fixed.
Unfortunate that because of so many instances of it, that we have gotten to a point to where any time we hear of an engine failure in one of these cars, a dropped valve is automatically presumed to have been the cause.

Many now take the approach that it's a dropped valve until proven otherwise.

Whether this is a fair or justifiable way to approach these reports, or whether it is simply an unfounded prejudice, is debatable.

But whatever is the case, the "problem" of immediately chalking these failures up as valve related, is one which is a real issue.

Now, what to do about it?

Well, as long as there are engine failures, they are going to be reported in here. And as long as there are valve and valve guide issues, people ending up with out of spec guides with low mileage, those are going to be reported too.

So you have a description of an engine failure, in the midst of other reports of engine failures which have been confirmed as having been valve related, with the backdrop of out of spec valve guides showing up in very low mileage cars, and numerous discussions on the valve guide issue.

We all know where such a mix leads whenever an engine failure is described.

So I guess we're going to have to deal with these reports as they come up, and try and get as many facts on them as we can.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-01-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:06 AM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Well I doubt it's oil starvation, considering a majority of drag strips are in a straight line.
At this point in the game it's pretty safe to say its a broken 2 piece valve until proven otherwise.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

At this point in the game it's pretty safe to say that P.T. Barnum was right.

Were you guys also involved in the data collection and verification that led to the global warming reports?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Unfortunate that because of so many instances of it, that we have gotten to a point to where any time we hear of an engine failure in one of these cars, a dropped valve is automatically presumed to have been the cause. [...]
And every time a bell is rung, Pavlov's dog automatically salivates.

Not the type of conditioning that I'd want to emulate. Clearly, YMMV.

And given the way these instances are tallied (assumptions count as failures, such as this case and others), your count is likely to be significantly inflated. In other words, your bias means your data is suspect. How's that shoe fit?

Last edited by Mark2009; 06-01-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:29 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Were you guys also involved in the data collection and verification that led to the global warming reports?

Old 06-01-2013, 11:30 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

P.T. Barnum was right about what exactly?

But for sure, we don't know whether this was or wasn't a dropped valve.

Are you now, or have you ever, worked in a professional capacity for GM?

So now let's see who is "biased". Because I strongly believe that you have had a professional relationship with them and may still currently have one with them, and you will neither confirm nor deny it and take every opportunity to avoid answering that question.

Why?

Not the type of conditioning that I'd want to emulate. Clearly, YMMV
And then you have others, who are too dull to identify a pattern.

Indeed, some are so dull as to apparently "know" all that there is to "know" about this issue, or at least make effort to have others "think" so, but are still not even be able to get their own heads fixed in this matter, yet show up in these type threads all the time.

But then YMMV.

Say, didn't you buy some used exhaust valves from me?

There's a scientific study coming out that is likely to be in their favor.

Perhaps you can polish 'em up and use 'em in your current heads.

And given the way these instances are tallied (assumptions count as failures, such as this case and others), your count is likely to be significantly inflated. In other words, your bias means your data is suspect. How's that shoe fit?

Is that all you got?

Because you're coming in here with nothing to begin with, not even so much as seeing redline in your own car, and a flat refusal to answer as to whether or not you have had any professional relationship with GM, which would immediately explain your own well demonstrated bias with regard to this matter.

If you have never had a former, and do not have a current, professional relationship with GM, well then why haven't you said that you haven't and don't when asked?

I'm looking for something, anything, as to why anyone in here should listen to anything that you have to say on this matter, and over the last several months have found nothing, because there is nothing which would warrant such.

Your car has never even so much seen redline, you are not a cylinder head professional, and yet here you are.

Hell, you can't even get your own heads fixed. Heads known to be bad since December. But here you are in here constantly "talking".

If you know so much, then why are your own heads still in crap condition?

The actual cases of failure are there for the reading, right here in this forum, and are hyperlinked if anyone wishes to read them.

BTW, have you even so much seen redline yet? If not, then what are we to make of your personal experiences and their worth, to say nothing of your personal risk as it relates to this matter as long as you are putzing along but coming in here spouting off? What would you know about one of these cars failing an engine at the track?

Are you still running around with your valve guide grossly out of spec and known to have been out of spec since December?

If you are doing so, then perhaps it is because you think my data was "biased" or "suspect".

In that case, well then keep driving, and when/if, you end up with a hole in your engine block, well we will see just how "biased" my reports were.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-01-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Take it for what its worth...

Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U

Good to see you again my friend. Glad to see you back.

But on a side note, actually I think this one is more applicable to the post you are referring to.

One can only believe that he enjoys the view and the smell, and hears nothing aside from the rumblings of his own belly.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:54 AM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Now that's funny !!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Kinda like you mucking up every thread you respond in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Take it for what its worth...