Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My engine blew up

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have often thought about trading for a Z06, but never go beyond the thought because of posts like this one. You would think Chevy would do something for this chronic problem...it has to be hurting sales. Oops, I guess they did do something about it, they built the C7 with a new motor.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Keep 'Em Flying
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Do NOT pay $15k to a dealer. Go to a reputable Corvette shop and get a replacement for 1/2 the price and way more HP

Get a real engine.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
I have often thought about trading for a Z06, but never go beyond the thought because of posts like this one. You would think Chevy would do something for this chronic problem...it has to be hurting sales. Oops, I guess they did do something about it, they built the C7 with a new motor.
And what makes you think that this brand new LT1 engine won't have issues given GM's track record lately?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Not really sure, that's just what they charged me.
Originally Posted by EViL427
Depends on where you go, I guess. My entire engine rebuild (block is still perfectly fine) with forged internals is only costing me ~$4200. Granted, that's just the engine and doesn't include any labor to R&R it from the car.

$4200 for a beefed up LS7 as opposed to ~$15K for a stock LS7 is, to me, cheap insurance.

Side note, Sorry, OP, for your troubles. I keep dumping money into mine in the hopes of avoiding this exact catastrophe. At the rate of failure lately, mine will be among the few modded cars with an engine that's original to the car.
Yeah, that's not bad at all on those prices! I filed mine under gotta pay to play but if some guys are getting deals, good on them. A question I have had about the Ti rods in the LS7 would be are they different than "name brand" Ti rods? Just looking at some crazy priced parts one day for the hell of it and I came across a set of Ti rods runing a cool 6 grand for a set of 8 from Crower.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperX
If he had no mods on it, they will do 100% repair.
I hope you are correct. However, even if they do replace it gratis, what sort of assurance will OP have that the replacement engine won't throw a valve next week or next month? If GM does replace the engine, will they cover it with a warranty? What good is a free replacement if it has a 85% chance of likewise being defective?

Well, maybe not 85%, but who really knows with these dang things???? Maybe it IS 85%. But whatever the failure rate is, it is surely too great.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
This scares me and I'm fearless... Mines an '08 w/ 25k miles.
I'm right there with you - 08' with 25k miles. I had the wiggle test done by a dealership in May at ~19k miles if I remember right and it was right at the edge of spec .007 (Max is .008). I'll be doing the wiggle test again myself at 30k if my motor makes it - then if it's still in spec, drive - if out of spec, talk with GM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clogan
I hope you are correct. However, even if they do replace it gratis, what sort of assurance will OP have that the replacement engine won't throw a valve next week or next month? If GM does replace the engine, will they cover it with a warranty? What good is a free replacement if it has a 85% chance of likewise being defective?

Well, maybe not 85%, but who really knows with these dang things???? Maybe it IS 85%. But whatever the failure rate is, it is surely too great.
He will have the assurance of intelligence if he checks the guide wear periodically.

The alternative is to cluelessly **** and moan and cast about for someone else to do the thinking.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
And what makes you think that this brand new LT1 engine won't have issues given GM's track record lately?

If you can't make heads with good guides, how can you add all the extra stuff in the LT1.

Rest assured, I will not be putting one cent towards a C7.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Man, sorry to hear and hope you can get it resolved with minimum outlay. Not in a Z (yet?) but dadgum, what's goin on?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's time to unload.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I think it's time to unload.
Sad right. Its hard to stay positive about this car even WITH the "Fix"

Lifters, spun main bearing, dropped valves, dropped SS valves, broken springs, ect.... I've only been here a little over a year and damn this car has a dismal track record. 100% the worst of any car I own or have ever owned.

Sure is fun to drive though...
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
probably a bad downshift.....

Sorry for your loss OP.

Side note:

I was on the highway yesterday and a guy with an E92 4 door M3 pulled up along side of me, so i did a nice 3rd gear pull to let him hear it (obviously didnt go past the speed limit). We exchange thumbs ups, and he proceeds to tell me he has a Z06 that just dropped a valve and is now in a local shop getting rebuilt. Not sure if he posts here or not, but just seems to be staggering the amount of occurrences. That makes 75% of the people i personally have met with a Z06 face to face that have blown the motor...mine being in the "post headwork still safe for now" category.
same here
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Sorry for your loss, mine is in the shop for the head upgrade and while dis assembled they found scoring on everything, valves, rockers and cam. They just used a bore scope and a cam bearing is almost gone. They are pulling the whole motor out. I'm having them do it right and go over everything. I was fortunate to get it before it went but it's still a small fortune. 2008 with 5000 miles stock.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Man, with all the other issues besides the valve guide wear it really makes you wonder if it's an oiling issue(lack of or oil not up to par all together!?) I mean, guides, lifters, cams, bearings ect ect.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by propain
Sad right. Its hard to stay positive about this car even WITH the "Fix"

Lifters, spun main bearing, dropped valves, dropped SS valves, broken springs, ect.... I've only been here a little over a year and damn this car has a dismal track record. 100% the worst of any car I own or have ever owned.

Sure is fun to drive though...
It's over exaggerated here ...it seems worse than it is . Remember over 25,000 of these engines made ..most of the time people only report problems .

Honestly , ever since I got the heads done I'm very happy with the car and drive it like I stole it .. IMO my car is fixed . I've purposely spent less time now on this forum and more time enjoying the car . And it's so much more fun. This forum now , well this section is now an after thought to me . Valve talk lifter talk spintron this and that .. All that matters to me is I'm sure my car is now fixed . Time to move on .
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Remember most of the lifter problems we are seeing are with after market cams ..can't blame the LS7 for that, it was not designed that way
Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
MudZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by FrankTank
It's over exaggerated here ...it seems worse than it is . Remember over 25,000 of these engines made ..most of the time people only report problems .

Honestly , ever since I got the heads done I'm very happy with the car and drive it like I stole it .. IMO my car is fixed . I've purposely spent less time now on this forum and more time enjoying the car . And it's so much more fun. This forum now , well this section is now an after thought to me . Valve talk lifter talk spintron this and that .. All that matters to me is I'm sure my car is now fixed . Time to move on .
I seriously need to do that. Just enjoy my car with "fixed" heads and move on from this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To My engine blew up

Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank

Same here......and I'm posting a little less, did a cam/PRC heads and enjoying it...........What a depressing forum lately !
Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear the news OP. Mine is in the shop getting the heads redone on my dime. Pisses me off when I haven't had the car 2 months and is not even close to cracking 10K miles yet. One expensive toy I strapped myself to, I may not own it as long as I thought I would - and that sucks.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by MudZ06
I seriously need to do that. Just enjoy my car with "fixed" heads and move on from this forum.
Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Same here......and I'm posting a little less, did a cam/PRC heads and enjoying it...........What a depressing forum lately !
yeap you'd be surprised how sucked in to the negativity you can get .

Quick Reply: [Z06] My engine blew up