Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Front Plate Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM
ZZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Front Plate Ticket

Cliffs:
Front plate ticket in Iowa is $87.
Excess window tint is $125+ in Iowa.
Front bracket ordered, need to find shop to remove tint.
Oh yea, Iowa sucks

Long story:
I just recently purchased a 2009 ZR1 from Texas about 1 month ago. No front plate, windows tinted. Dealer incorrectly told me tinted to 25% the Texas limit. I haven't run a front plate on my 1999 in over 10 years, with 1 ticket and 1 warning. So I figure I'll run as is for awhile, and I may get a warning at some point.

Went on a corvette cruise, then decided to go see my daughter's new house. I had the windows down all day, saw 3 different LEO cars and nothing. Hit a rain shower and rolled up my windows. I see a gray charger in the other lane go by, he turns around and follows about 10 minutes, until the rain ends, then lights me up.

Says he saw I had no front plate and inquires. I show him the plate on the seat and the Texas temp plate. Told him it did not have a plate or bracket and I hadn't ordered one yet but was planning on it.

Says my window tint looked illegal for Iowa if not every state. Told him Texas dealer said it was tinted to 25% the Texas limit, and I didn't know the Iowa limit and figured if it was too dark I'd get pulled over, measured, and then get a warning. He measures the tint and it reads 14%, which is illegal for all states actually. New Mexico allows the darkest tint at 20%, Texas and Oklahoma allow 25%. Iowa is 70%, so basically no tint beyond factory tint in Iowa. Told me I stuck out like a sore thumb with that tint. He says lets go back to his car to sort it out.

Scans my drivers license and registration, already saw my insurance. I hear the computer say "possible hit". He then scrolls through several pages, and I'm thinking WTF, I've only had a handful of tickets in nearly 40 years of driving and a few warnings. This can't be good.

After a few minutes he says "OK, since you have only had this car a few weeks, I tell you I'm gong to do." At this point I'm thinking a couple warnings. He says "I'm only going to give you one ticket and the other a warning, you can pick which one. The front plate ticket will be $87 and the tint would be $127. Neither are moving violations."

So I chose the front plate ticket: scheduled fine $20, criminal surcharge $7, court costs $60, total amount due $87.

He gave me a printout of the tint/plate requirements of all 50 states, says he gives out tint tickets 2-3 times every night. He had several copies of this so I don't doubt he gives out several a night.

So now I have ordered a front bracket I saw mentioned in this ZR1 forum and I need to search for a shop to remove my tint. I hate how the front plates look, but since I may well run across him again, I need to put one on. He told me there is no grace period, I can get pulled over any or every time I'm on the road and ticketed.

So, Iowa sucks. And yes, I've lived here all my life and already knew that.

Also got me wondering, can a LEO ticket an out of state car if it violates their home state plate or tint laws. He obviously has and knows each state requirement in this regards.

By the way, this is not meant as an LEO bash or rant and I don't want to see this turn into a LEO bashfest. I would have preferred warnings, but I knew the front plate risk. I didn't actually know the Iowa tint laws, but that was my own fault.

Last edited by ZZ; 07-22-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes, a LEO can ticket an out of state car for running no plates or tint depending on what the regulations are in their state.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can complain and talk tough all we want, but the law always wins. Best to keep your head down and not attract their attention in any way.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Plate Ticket

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Front Plate Ticket