Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] About to buy a Z06 - should I reconsider?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Well first of all I don't think I've heard of any LS7's coming apart because of sticking valves. The culprit is usually a dropped valve where the weld at the flange actually comes apart and the valve head drops. Second you could look for another performance car but I doubt you would find another stock vehicle that will top out close to 198 mph and then stop on a dime. The Z06 was built as a race car right off the showroom floor.

This issue is a concern for any Z06 of any year but it's fixable and the cost is not that bad. Just look at the car close up. I've owned a few high hp cars in my life but the Z looks like its going a 100 mph sitting still. Buy the car and save some bucks to have the heads addressed.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Go For It
Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Pretty sure there's evidence out there to the contrary.
All the chicken littles will ALWAYS find evidence of doom and gloom. Right now I don't give a flying flip because my motor is covered. When it goes out of warranty I'll probably do heads and cam anyway.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
All the chicken littles will ALWAYS find evidence of doom and gloom. Right now I don't give a flying flip because my motor is covered. When it goes out of warranty I'll probably do heads and cam anyway.
Solid reasoning!

Who cares if my car has a massive flaw? I'll just let them fix it for me after it loses 10-20% of its value!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by JwT
Well first of all I don't think I've heard of any LS7's coming apart because of sticking valves.
Then you need to listen more. I've seen them do both.

But anyway, to all those looking at getting into a ZO6, if you are nervous over the valve issue just budget for doing the heads right away. Factor that in when you are calculating how much you can spend on the car.

I do agree with JwT, it's a really fun machine right out of the box and performs better than the vast majority of other cars in its price bracket.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

do it !! 2 options - if you want to leave stock and can buy a GM warranty (not 3rd party garbage) buy it.........or 2) if no warranty and can't buy one, buy some PRC or Brodix heads complete, slap on 'dem' bitch*s and enjoy the beast!!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM
tt350z
Racer

Go with the Z06 trust me... I was in the same situation and said the hell with it because I knew in my heart that I was trying to convince myself that I would like a GS just as much... but I know how I am and every time I saw a Z06 I would want it. I bought my 07-Z06 for 38k. with 17k miles drove the **** out of it for a about 3 days and dropped it off for Heads and cam work ported T/B and intake manifold.and lowered the car. 4k later fast, safe and 100% happy. total 42k for a great car only car I would sell for at this point is a ZR-1.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Surviving 67
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The issue with the heads on C6Z's that results in sticking exhaust valves applies to a small minority of owners. However, that minority is very vocal - and with good reason. If you buy a pre 2/11 ZO6 you do have a chance of that problem occurring. The number of LS7's that fail (for that reason) may be less than 10%, but whatever the percentage, it's a serious chunk of $ should your out of warranty LS7 shatter a piston on a stuck exhaust valve.

The issue was reportedly addressed by 2/11. My 2012 ZO6 was built 11/11 so I should be safe. It's still under warranty and I'm not going to do anything to negate the warranty so as to maintain absolute peace of mind.

FWIW I love my ZO6. We also have a 2012 Grand Sport and when it comes out of warranty it might be the one to get some really serious mods. The LS3 is a very stout motor and can put out some really good numbers when modded and hold together as long as your tuner is competent.
My previous Z06 was built 5/11 well after the February date, it had the heads replaced @ 4000 miles. Dirty Howies current motor was built the same week as mine, his heads had worn guides when replaced. I also know Bill Dearborn's replacement engine was built the same week as mine, it will be curious to see how his heads faired when he takes them apart for maintenance.

Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by billyjo
My previous Z06 was built 5/11 well after the February date, it had the heads replaced @ 4000 miles. Dirty Howies current motor was built the same week as mine, his heads had worn guides when replaced. I also know Bill Dearborn's replacement engine was built the same week as mine, it will be curious to see how his heads faired when he takes them apart for maintenance.

Bill
Note that I said "reportedly". That was deliberate. I'll enjoy mine stock while it is on Chevy's dime if it lets loose, and then get some WCCH heads towards the end of the warranty.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
do it !! 2 options - if you want to leave stock and can buy a GM warranty (not 3rd party garbage) buy it.........or 2) if no warranty and can't buy one, buy some PRC or Brodix heads complete, slap on 'dem' bitch*s and enjoy the beast!!

If it has the factory warranty, grab the Z06 and extend the warranty.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
I am in the same boat as OP.. I've been considering a left-over 2013 Z06 but now I'm not so sure..
Wiggle test. If the guides are reasonably tight then there is no rational reason for the exhaust valve to fail. Might want to check at 5K, then again at 10 or 15K, then if still snug once more at, say, 25K. If still snug by then you've got a good one. That's a pain in the *** but it is what it is.

If the forum drama keeps you awake at night, just go ahead and replace/rebuild the heads for about $3K and call it a day

Car is damn strong, stock out of the box... if you're thinking of an LS7 Corvette I don't think any other, except maybe the LS9, will truly scratch that itch. I chose the 7 over the 9, well aware of the valve guide issue, for the redline and the cubes.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM
ftf3rd
ftf3rd
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the zo6 you will never look back, and the things that you can do to it are amazing,mine is kind of a daily driver depends on weather
Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Not to put ideas in your head but the LS3 has major oiling issues when driven hard. SCCA took the absolutely unprecedented step of allowing a modification to a stock car to run in their Touring Class (heck I couldn't even run my bones stock 1LE Camaro in Touring simply because it had that option.) In that bone stock class they are allowing an ARE conversion to dry sump the LS3 so the competitors don't have to do a new motor every event or 2.

Nothing is foolproof. A warranty is your friend or a set of heads whichever you prefer.

When the E46 M3 came out many of the cars that were tracked were losing their bottom ends. Out of that came that hideously expensive 10-60 weight oil that pretty much fixed the problem.

Perry
Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I've got the Viper but it's brutal. I like the C6Z and think they are an incredibly versatile machine.

The Z06 I'm looking at still is under warranty so I think it's a good idea.

Plus I want a car I can drive and enjoy as a semi-daily driver. The Viper is definitely not that. It is a monster.

Last edited by Runs11s; 07-30-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM
NO S8NT
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Take from someone who purchased an AO 07 C6 new and two weeks later traded it in on a brand new AO 07 Z. 6 years later and over 230,000 miles I'm still enjoying the car...no comparison in my book

Kevin
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM
tractorguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
I am in the same boat as OP.. I've been considering a left-over 2013 Z06 but now I'm not so sure..
Good night buy it if you want in. I had a 09Z with no issues and when they started discounting the 13's so deeply I traded for a 13 and love it. Lots of subtle improvements-especially the ride control. Bought a 84 month GMPP and don't worry about the motor. Would do it over in a heartbeat.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
And next your going to tell us your on the original Goodyears!!
Just put on the 18th set of rears before our cross country trip.

Get notified of new replies

To About to buy a Z06 - should I reconsider?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Then you need to listen more. I've seen them do both.

But anyway, to all those looking at getting into a ZO6, if you are nervous over the valve issue just budget for doing the heads right away. Factor that in when you are calculating how much you can spend on the car.

I do agree with JwT, it's a really fun machine right out of the box and performs better than the vast majority of other cars in its price bracket.
I agree. If the car ill has a warranty, don't worry about the heads(as long as the car has no aftermarket tune). When deciding what is a fair price to pay, factor in what it will cost to do the heads when the warranty runs out.

Who knows what this valve mess will do with our resale value. For me, it's to late as I purchased mine new 5 years ago and the warranty has expired. New PRC heads being installed tomorrow. Gonna' take GM a long time to earn my business again, if ever.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
New PRC heads being installed tomorrow. Gonna' take GM a long time to earn my business again, if ever.
Please let us know what condition your original heads are in - esp. valve wiggle.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:38 PM
cmdrwill
Racer

I too have had the itch to up the anty and trade for the Z06 but with others telling their stories about the Valve to Rocker miss alignment; how GM designers missed that I just don't know. I say get the GS or C7.

Quick Reply: [Z06] About to buy a Z06 - should I reconsider?