Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Lowering on Stock Bolts changes the Alignment How?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:52 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Default Lowering on Stock Bolts changes the Alignment How?

I know lowering the car will change the alignment but for those that have done it and done a before and after alignment how is the change manifested.

Generally a lowered car can get more negative camber so I would suspect that lowering the car on stock bolts with no other changes will introduce a bit more negative. But that is just supposition on my part.

What does it do to camber? To toe? Caster I don't much worry about and Ackerman is not a concern either.

I am going to get it realigned once I drive it a bit to make sure I am ok on the roads I travel at this ride height, but would like to have some inkling what I am at now til it is realigned.

And I am not even sure I did a max stock bolt lowering. I did a bit over two full turns on the back and a bit less than 2 full turns on the front.

Perry
Old 08-04-2013, 11:33 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Pretty much every vehicle I've ever seen that is lowered from stock ride height will create a toe out situation which will chew up the (inside) outer edges of the tires.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 AM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Lowering the car will increase negative camber front and rear. Changing camber will automatically change the toe front and rear. Problem is toe changes are the opposite of each other from front to rear. C5 and C6 Vettes use the same knuckles front and rear but they are reversed in position. Front knuckles are located so the tie rod connections are in front of the knuckle and in the rear they are located in the rear of the knuckle.

If I remember correctly when you lower the car front toe out will increase and rear toe in will increase. The car will tend to dart with the front toe out but that is better than having rear toe out which could make the car very nerve wracking to drive since a lot of rear toe out can cause the car to be unstable.

Bill
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Thank yoiu for the replies.

So modest 1/2 inch lowering on stock bolts will likely give another 1/2 degree of negative and a slight (?) toe out condition in front and a slight toe in in the rear? I want to drive the car a bit to see if I can live with this ride height. From looking at the stance (I went 1.75 turns up front and 2.25 in back) I could use a little more lowering up front if I can live with it.

When I bought my C5Z06 my dealer lowered it on stock bolts and realigned it for delivery so didn't get into this decision or maintenance part.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:16 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I'm glad this thread got posted, was going to ask similar question.

I wish we could have a tire or suspension expert chime in on this. I've heard different things.

I know for sure I will be getting an alignment on my car, but I changed tire and rim sizes and everything so in my case I am sure I need one, but am also going to lower more on stock bolts soon so don't want to realign twice.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

I will post before and after specs when I get mine done, so we have a pretty good idea of how much lowering on stock bolts changes the alignment.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
I will post before and after specs when I get mine done, so we have a pretty good idea of how much lowering on stock bolts changes the alignment.
Get your ride height dialed in where you want it, and drive the car for a week before you get it aligned...it will settle throughout the week.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Scooter275
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dropped mine. curious on what the results are

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering on Stock Bolts changes the Alignment How?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Lowering on Stock Bolts changes the Alignment How?