Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Have there ever been any reports of SS valves dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Well, although Rich would be a good choice it is unnecessary to go that far. I have a local Chevy dealer with mechanic experienced in this and I have Ryne at CMS. [...]
No ringers. Rich @ Abel has done a ton of these and is therefore the only one I would trust my money to for accurate, repeatable, comparable numbers.

You're getting the free ride, you can at least set it up (cost/scheduling).

Last edited by Mark2009; 09-27-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:07 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

You guys that want data so bad.....

Would you like to pay for my heads to be inspected for guide wear? Would you like to see if any valve bounce damage is present?

I have over 16K miles and 9 track days on my WCCH heads.

No? too soon? Let me know when. Maybe after 25K and 15 track days? Just let me know ........

DH
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...alves-bad.html
Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
That didn't take long to get here
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
No ringers. Rich @ Abel has done a ton of these and is therefore the only one I would trust my money to for accurate, repeatable, comparable numbers.

You're getting the free ride, you can at least set it up (cost/scheduling).

Mark

I have two different local establishments. One is a Chevy dealer the other a well know Forum sponsor. They are both as qualified as Rich at Able.

It will be documented on video !!!

I am not driving 400 or 500 miles each way.

Seems like you are trying to WIGGLE out of this

DH
Old 09-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, although Rich would be a good choice it is unnecessary to go that far. I have a local Chevy dealer with mechanic experienced in this and I have Ryne at CMS.

So figure out what a fair price is and I'm sure one of my guys will match or beat it. Let me know when you have the cash ready.

I will video the whole thing and inspect any parts paying contributors ask to have documented.

Well it looks like several of you seem serious. I am too. Just put it together and let me know.

DH
Howie,

PM me the dealers name if you would.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Minkster
Howie,

PM me the dealers name if you would.

Done.

And maybe you will come and over see everything as some of these guys only trust engineers

DH
Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Mark

I have two different local establishments. [...]
Howie, you offered to have your heads checked with the only condition that others pay for it.

I offered to contribute with the only condition that the work be performed by the shop that is surely the most experienced in the country, by a wide margin, in performing the wiggle test. Unsure at that time how far that shop is from you, I even suggested we pay your fuel.

As your namesake says, "deal or no deal". No substitution of shop, no video or witnesses needed, no changes to the deal offered. If you don't want to make the drive, fine, but the personal attacks and strawman arguments are uncalled for:

Done. And maybe you will come and over see everything as some of these guys only trust engineers
Now if you want to renegotiate your original offer, and if others want to move forward with a substitute shop, then I would contribute after the fact if a video (in this case) shows that the wiggle test was performed in accordance with the service manual guidelines. All 16 valves, as I originally specified. No money up front since there is no record of the shops you offered having any experience or detailed knowledge of the test.

You guys that want data so bad..... Would you like to pay for my heads to be inspected for guide wear? Would you like to see if any valve bounce damage is present? I have over 16K miles and 9 track days on my WCCH heads.

No? too soon? Let me know when. Maybe after 25K and 15 track days? Just let me know ........ DH
Originally Posted by Mark200X
I would be willing to chip in at least, and perhaps others would well -- to the extent that it would cover all the cost. Get in contact with Rich at Abel Chevy and find out what it would cost to do a wiggle test of all 16 valves, including dial indicator readings, and let us know.

Toss round trip fuel cost in as well as a separate line item

Last edited by Mark2009; 09-28-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added quoted original offers
Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I am certain that there are GM dealers in the Southern California that have competent techs but unfortunately we don't know who they are and most of us are afraid to try one out since the majority of dealers aren't in that "competent" league past Chevrolets trucks, vans and mainline cars.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

You guys that want data so bad.....

Would you like to pay for my heads to be inspected for guide wear? Would you like to see if any valve bounce damage is present?

I have over 16K miles and 9 track days on my WCCH heads.

No? too soon? Let me know when. Maybe after 25K and 15 track days? Just let me know ........

DH
PM sent
Old 09-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pkincy
I am certain that there are GM dealers in the Southern California that have competent techs but unfortunately we don't know who they are and most of us are afraid to try one out since the majority of dealers aren't in that "competent" league past Chevrolets trucks, vans and mainline cars.
Perry, I know one !!!

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Have there ever been any reports of SS valves dropping?