Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just my luck! FML

Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just my luck! FML

Okay well I got my car back the other day, I had stage two heads(to take care of the dropped valve issue), headers, x-pipe w/o catts, cam, CAI, and some other things, the car made 580 rwhp on the dyno. The owner of the shop went out with me last night to tune the car on the street, the car pulled hard, and felt great. I loved it, couldn't be happier, until today. I ended up going back to the shop today because I noticed the traction control button wasn't working, the shop pulled the console and found the plug was not plugged in all the way, no biggie right.

I am driving home and I was pulling up to a red light I shift into neutral, and start slowing down, light turns green I shift in to second, going about 20mph and got back on the gas, I had the car to 4,000RPM and then boom!!!! the DIC said "reduce engine power" or something like that, and I look in the rear view and see nothing but white smoke. Call the shop, and told them what happened, the owner and the new lead shop tech, come to look at the car, we push the car in to a subdivision try to see what happened, we couldn't see anything other than a oil and water dripping from the passenger side, so the shop owner called a tow truck. They took me out to eat while we waited on the tow truck, got back and got the car on the tow truck. Took the vette to the shop and rolled it off the truck put it on a lift and there is a hole in the bottom end. Immediately I ask them to remove the head cover, on the passenger side to see what caused this, and then the next biggest surprise. A INTAKE valve is missing after further inspection they find the caps (I am no expert and really don't know a lot about these motors so excuse me I use the wrong name) on the exhaust valve. The owner said the caps are suppose to be installed on the intake valve, and somehow all of these caps where installed on the exhaust valves. So I had them pull the driver side head covers and it is the same way the caps are on all the wrong valves. So I dropped a valve but not because the valve failed, it was because of installation. The owner pulled me to the side and talked to me and said that the original guy that was over the shop was fired because of his work and didn't he did not pay attention. The owner said that they had found a couple issues that the original lead tech had screwed up, but that they must have missed this on my car, but promised me he would get it fixed and fixed right.

Now that yall know what is going on, My question is the owner said he could get a brand new built motor, or a brand new Gm motor for about the same price (either way free for me), and asked which one I would like? I told him I wasn't for sure. but I would let him know. I wouldn't expect to upgrade my car to ever put down more than 600 or 700 rwhp. What do yall think?

Last edited by harveyjl; 10-01-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Glad to hear they are stepping up and willing to making it right.

You might as well go with the built motor over the GM replacement IMHO. After having 580RWHP on tap and then dropping back to a stock 440 RWHP will not be to your liking me thinks.

U.M.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
Glad to hear they are stepping up and willing to making it right.

You might as well go with the built motor over the GM replacement IMHO. After having 580RWHP on tap and then dropping back to a stock 440 RWHP will not be to your liking me thinks.

U.M.
oh sorry regardless of the motor I decide on all the upgraded parts will be upgraded again with new upgraded parts, so either way I will at least be at 580 rwhp. Should of said that above sorry
Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

get your money and go to another shop.Something smells over there.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all your one lucky dude. So many times on the forum a motor drops after mods and the shop only wants to pay half if any cost. If the shop pays for the entire motor that's a pretty stand up place. It wouldn't have been hard for the place to just tell you (Hey..... your motor just let go..sorry).

It looks like a win...win situation. A new motor with zero miles and mods no matter which way you go.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Originally Posted by camirocz
get your money and go to another shop.Something smells over there.
Maybe before, but I believe the owner will do what is right. He has 3 other vettes in his shop running 900+ rwhp and one that is being bumped up to over 1,000, and that is not mentioning the supras, Ferraris, or the 1300 rwhp lambo they have done. I think they had a bad tech, it happens. I can relate, as I work with idiots all the time, from all over the world. So for now I am leaving the car there, the owner has been honest, and has taken responsibility for the mistake. Which is a lot more than some shops I have heard about.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:23 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Originally Posted by JwT
First of all your one lucky dude. So many times on the forum a motor drops after mods and the shop only wants to pay half if any cost. If the shop pays for the entire motor that's a pretty stand up place. It wouldn't have been hard for the place to just tell you (Hey..... your motor just let go..sorry).

It looks like a win...win situation. A new motor with zero miles and mods no matter which way you go.
Yea one of the techs that was pulling the covers off was like sometimes **** just happens, and then they saw the valves, so I was very pleased, that the owner stood up and said we ****ed up. No reason on getting mad and talking about the shoulda coulda woulda, instead lets work to a resolution.

The owner called GM and asked the price for a new motor, with out a cam and heads and stuff that was already upgraded on my car, and he said for the amount they wanted to charge he could do a fully built motor for almost the same price so the option is mine. just not sure what would be best for me?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by harveyjl
oh sorry regardless of the motor I decide on all the upgraded parts will be upgraded again with new upgraded parts, so either way I will at least be at 580 rwhp. Should of said that above sorry
So what exactly are the differences between the two offers being made? What is a brand new built motor and how does it differ from a modified GM motor? I'm still a might bit confused on what exactly you're being offered here?

U.M.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's awesome they are stepping up, but when the lash caps were installed on the wrong valves there is really no way to point the finger somewhere else.

I also would be interested in the details on what kind of built motor the guy had in mind.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
So what exactly are the differences between the two offers being made? What is a brand new built motor and how does it differ from a modified GM motor? I'm still a might bit confused on what exactly you're being offered here?

U.M.
well currently I am not sure either as the owner is going to get back with me sometime today, with what he could do on the built motor, but I believe the bottom end would be upgraded with the built motor instead of the stock bottom end in the gm motor.

I will have more information as the day goes on as he called me this morning and said he is going to get some pricing. and wants me to stop by to go over what he has found, and the options.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

It'll be hard to give an opinion either way until we know exactly what the two choices consist of.

U.M.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM
harveyjl
Pro

Okay I will update with what happens later today. Thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very lucky indeed. I will be sure to check mine when I get home now. Glad to see the shop stepping up.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:16 AM
SilveradoSS500
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I ran my old LS7 for 800 miles with no lash caps and then BOOM lol... I couldn't believe it held together for 800 miles, 2 track sessions and 5 dyno pulls. Lol

Sorry that happened to you!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Go with aftermarket. At least do ls7 block, stock crank/rods and forged pistons. No reason to run a stock piston if you have the chance to upgrade at no cost.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,643 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Wow. Sorry for the bad luck.

For those curious, here are some pictures of what happens to a titanium valve stem when someone forgets the lash caps:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...important.html
Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by harveyjl
Maybe before, but I believe the owner will do what is right. He has 3 other vettes in his shop running 900+ rwhp and one that is being bumped up to over 1,000, and that is not mentioning the supras, Ferraris, or the 1300 rwhp lambo they have done. I think they had a bad tech, it happens. I can relate, as I work with idiots all the time, from all over the world. So for now I am leaving the car there, the owner has been honest, and has taken responsibility for the mistake. Which is a lot more than some shops I have heard about.
Your definitely lucky if the shop owner is standing up and taking responsibility.

While I'm sure the owner will do what he says, watch closely. Is he reusing your upgraded parts which are still serviceable? Sounds like he will buy another block and some valves and put it back together.

If you opt for a new crate engine, is he keeping your upgraded parts?

Get notified of new replies

To Just my luck! FML

Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 PM
harveyjl
Pro

okay so I talked to him just awhile ago I didn't have time to go see him, and have him explain what he was exactly talking about. It is hard for me to understand him, but I will get everything clarified and on paper tomorrow.

we discussed the difference in the stock titanium rods vs forged rods, and the stock pistons vs forged pistons, and also talked about going to a higher compression. What are the benefits between the stock and forged parts?

He did say he wanted to pull the motor apart before we made a full list, I know he said he wanted to replace all of the rockers and all of the intake valves and some other things with the valve train, I believe he is planning on using the cam which I don't see anything wrong with it as long as there isn't any damage. any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 PM
harveyjl
Pro

Originally Posted by tim414
Your definitely lucky if the shop owner is standing up and taking responsibility.

While I'm sure the owner will do what he says, watch closely. Is he reusing your upgraded parts which are still serviceable? Sounds like he will buy another block and some valves and put it back together.

If you opt for a new crate engine, is he keeping your upgraded parts?
If I went with the new crate engine he says he would do it right and either install my upgraded parts that where already installed as long as the parts are not damaged, but if they are damaged he will replace the upgraded parts with new upgraded parts.

when he called today he was very apologetic and said he was very sorry, and promises he will do what is right, and I believe him so far. I couldn't agree with how lucky I am that he has stepped up and is taken car of it.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 PM
harveyjl
Pro

Originally Posted by Unreal
Go with aftermarket. At least do ls7 block, stock crank/rods and forged pistons. No reason to run a stock piston if you have the chance to upgrade at no cost.

This is pretty much what he said, but he did say that if I plan to put a super charger that he would recommend upgrading the rods also. We are going to talk more about it in the next couple days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Just my luck! FML