Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Nav radio issue in 2006 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 PM
mattcgoldstein
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Nav radio issue in 2006 Z06

Resolved, thanks.

M

Last edited by mattcgoldstein; 01-04-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt, you may get more responses from the C6 General forum since the Nav units are all the same. I wish I could help you more but it sounds like the disk reader inside the nav unit is kaput

Have you considered a better, aftermarket, nav option? There are some pretty good ones out there that can even give bluetooth capability. Only downside (for some) is that you will lose your steering wheel controls.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just put in an after market nav unit. Its better all around (music/nav/etc etc...)
Old 11-04-2013, 06:18 PM
darr3239
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarkets are better, but they won't work with your HUD.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an aftermarket kenwood, made a difference in the sound quality of the blows speakers and I got to keep my steering wheel controls. I'd spend some time demoing the units, the Kenwood I have is sssslllloooowwww. Kenwood and JVC are the same now, try Pioneer. Also if you are a smart phone kinda guy see which one has the best integration with the phone. I don't use onstar but that may be affected by an aftermarket unit, research that.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 PM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried a lens cleaning disc?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have an 07 and I don't think the CD feature was ever used until 3 months ago. I finally got tried of dealing with Sirus and cancelled. So I figured I would go to CD's. The unit would not recognize the CD. I put a thread on the C6 section and several suggestions were to get a cleaning disc. I picked up a CD cleaning disc and it started working. It is not perfect but 90 percent better. I only used the cleaning disc once. I am going to use it more. Try the cleaning disc, it is a lot cheaper than a new unit. Another trick, when the unit rejects the disc, rotate it and push it back in.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have been told by two friends who bought Pioneer d.din units that they had issues w/them. I didn't really listen to the particulars, but seems like it had to do w/functionality and dependability.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 AM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have an answer for you but I just thought I'd let you know my experience. I have an 08 with single CD and Nav. I like to listen to audio books when I travel. I first noticed problems when I would shut off the car with the CD audio book in the player. It wouldn't always remember where it left off when the car was shut off. I started writing down what chapter I was on before I turned the car off.

Now it hardly ever remembers where it left off. It most usually returns to playing the last FM station I was tuned to instead of playing the CD. If I push CD it tells me there is no CD in the drive. I may have to eject the CD and re-insert it several times before it is recognized.

I have tried cleaning the CD, sometimes that helps, sometimes not. I have used a cleaning disk from time to time but it doesn't seem to help either.

Sometimes I get the message Invalid CD. The radio then reverts to XM. I don't subscribe so I get the opportunity to hear their ads a lot. Sometimes it will play the CD if I insert it again. Other times it just refuses to recognize the CD and I end up giving up in frustration.

I haven't tried to get it fixed or replaced. The car is an 08 and has been out of warranty for a while. I also don't like the dealer or service garage to take things apart in the dash/console. They usually break something else while they have it apart and it takes several trips back to get things working again.

I don't use the CD that much so I plan to just live with it until it quits working all together.

Good luck !
Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Canuck
Pro

Default 06 Z with similar nav problems

I am in the same boat. For some time I subscribed to XM radio and it was good. Then they started to drop some channels and asked for more money so I decided to go with the CD. Now... if I record a CD ( using ImgBurn ) with 50-60 mp3's, the player will only play about 6 or 7 songs and in no particular order. I have tried various CD media, different burning software, two different burners and the only way I can get it to play is to make an audio CD....meaning I can only get about 12 - 14 songs but they play well.
Just can't figure out where to go from here. I don't really want to dump a grand and a half for an aftermarket that might present more problems in the near future.
The other option I'm looking into is hooking into the system with an ipod.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 PM
ZedNought6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been told by two friends who bought Pioneer d.din units that they had issues w/them. I didn't really listen to the particulars, but seems like it had to do w/functionality and dependability.
Well, where do you go from there? Gees! Perhaps a better kenwood is what I need.

I am in the same boat. For some time I subscribed to XM radio and it was good. Then they started to drop some channels and asked for more money so I decided to go with the CD. Now... if I record a CD ( using ImgBurn ) with 50-60 mp3's, the player will only play about 6 or 7 songs and in no particular order. I have tried various CD media, different burning software, two different burners and the only way I can get it to play is to make an audio CD....meaning I can only get about 12 - 14 songs but they play well.
Just can't figure out where to go from here. I don't really want to dump a grand and a half for an aftermarket that might present more problems in the near future.
The other option I'm looking into is hooking into the system with an ipod.
If you can get an Ipod to work with the factory head unit I bet you will like that option. I have my Iphone connected to my aftermarket head unit with the special cable that does all kinds of gee wizz stuff, but my GF has just a standard 3.5mm patch cable going from the headphone output to the AUX jack in her Honda and it sounds great! You can load the unit up with all your favorite tunes AND you can get a Pandora account and use that to stream music in your car. If you ask me the sound quality is awesome! Better than when I had XM. I drive A LOT and my 2K data plan is sufficient to use the Iphone exclusively for listening to music.

I went full aftermarket, but this may have some helpful info for you:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Canuck
Pro

Thanks ZedNought for the info. I will check on this tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Nav radio issue in 2006 Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Nav radio issue in 2006 Z06