Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Magnetic Ride Question...

Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 AM
woodranch
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Magnetic Ride Question...

If you look at 2 ZO6's side by side, one with Magnetic Ride and the other not, can you notice the tire width difference? I believe the Magnetic Ride Z's come with wider tires( is that to accommodate the larger shocks)?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:29 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The magnetic ride comes with the same tires as the regular version.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
The magnetic ride comes with the same tires as the regular version.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:46 AM
tractorguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
I don't know much so maybe they could be ordered with different tire widths. However my 09 had 18's and 19's. my 2013 has the magnetic ride and 19's and 20's were specifically part of that package. Based on that I assumed it came with 1 inch wider tires as part of the magnetic ride package but you know what assume means. I do know this after owning both I will never have another without the magnetic ride! Cheers. FB
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 AM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

For 2011 models, when I ordered my Z06/Z07, the magneto-rheological shocks (MR shocks) were only available as part of the Z07 package. They were bundled with the ZR1 wheels, tires, carbon ceramic brakes, roll bar and necessary programing changes. In 2011, the first year for the Z07 option, you could not order the MR shocks separately. I don't know if that held true for '12 and '13 model years or for GS and base cars. Looking at a Z06 and a Z06/Z07 side by side it's pretty easy to spot the differences. The ZR1 wheels, the tire size and the Carbon Ceramic brakes are unmistable.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by tractorguy
I don't know much so maybe they could be ordered with different tire widths. However my 09 had 18's and 19's. my 2013 has the magnetic ride and 19's and 20's were specifically part of that package. Based on that I assumed it came with 1 inch wider tires as part of the magnetic ride package but you know what assume means. I do know this after owning both I will never have another without the magnetic ride! Cheers. FB

Interesting. What is the difference in feel with the MR shocks on the car?

As popular as the Ceramic brakes and MR shocks are for the street, that seems to be the first things the track addicts lose when they get serious about tracking the car.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:56 AM
tractorguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by pkincy

As popular as the Ceramic brakes and MR shocks are for the street, that seems to be the first things the track addicts lose when they get serious about tracking the car.
I don't track mine so know nothing about that aspect. The difference I have noted could possibly just be comparing two different cars between the 09 and 13. However I had new Michelin PS2's on the 09 just like came on the 13. The 13 definitely rides better in the highway in the touring position. The biggest difference I have noted in the two cars is the 13 is much quieter inside and the only thing I know to attribute it to is the mag ride. I also like the different traction control options that came with it although I still do not fully understand them all. Maybe I just want it to be better since the package is quite pricey! Seriously though the 13 to me is a better riding and driving car for cruising and touring but I don't track it. Cheers FB
Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is stock (w/ MPSC tires) and spends most of its time either on the track or driving to and from the track. I can't imagine taking the CC brakes off my car. They are not inexpensive to operate but the performance is spectacular. For strictly street use these tires and brakes seem a bit of a waste to me although, they look cool.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
woodranch
Pro

So really it is the ZO7 package that gets the wider tires???
Is that to support the ceramic brakes or GM figures it is better for track use?
Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy

Might be a cost issue. Carbon Ceramic brakes are an improvement. The GT2 class has to change to iron brakes as part of the spec rules. Seems to be a cost issue here.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tractorguy

Are you associating the wheel diameter with the width? They are still 12 inches wide in the rear and 10 inches wide in the front, even though the have 1 inch larger diameter.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:02 PM
woodranch
Pro

erichg1000 I am talking about the width...in other words, when looking at the car from the rear, does the tire wideness look the same?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:07 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right. Anything with the 19/20 combo will have wider tires since those come with 335/25r20 which comes out to a 13.19" width vs cars with 18/19 combo running 325/30/19 rears come out to 12.8" wide.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM
CrystalRedZ07
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Noticeable ride quality improvement with the magnetic ride.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

The magnetic ride control comes with softer springs, and makes up for it with the stiffer shocks (when needed). Therefore it will have a more compliant ride during 'normal' driving.

Personally I think it is an excellent performance option.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
The magnetic ride control comes with softer springs, and makes up for it with the stiffer shocks (when needed). Therefore it will have a more compliant ride during 'normal' driving.

I wish it had been available in 2007.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark200X

I wish I understood the 5 race modes better. As you know, some take away granny controls, some leave most. I think "launch control" is there on all the modes ?? The car does ride pretty nice in the cruise mode?

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride Question...

Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 AM
tractorguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by marktsmith
I wish I understood the 5 race modes better. As you know, some take away granny controls, some leave most. I think "launch control" is there on all the modes ?? The car does ride pretty nice in the cruise mode?
I know there are folks on here that could explain all those modes versus the push button and light on dash. I have asked before and most reply "read the book". I have read it many times and it doesn't explain very well or I am incapable of understanding. For example if I put it it 5 which turns traction and stabilitrac off how is that different than clicking the button once and turning light on the dash on? Do I have launch control just in the 5 modes or also when I click button once? I can understand what each of the 5 modes are telling me. However the car seems to have that system plus the one button system too and that is confusing. If I want to romp it I put it in 3 because that tells me I have traction control off but stabilitrac on. Am I getting max power there? Some have even told me I had some traction control in 5 versus pushing the button once. That is really confusing. Of course the museum guy that brought the C7 to Texas told me no ZO6 had launch control so maybe it can't be explained.
I can tell you this I passed a semi sideways recently after my dog had stepped on the button and I didn't see the light on. Pretty exciting for me and I assume him. Luckily I was on a 4 lane with a turn lane because I used it all!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM
marktsmith
Racer

Amen !! And the combinations seem endless. Perhaps on a track, we could tell the differences (small and large) for each adjustment choice. Perhaps this is why the professional driver I saw comparing cars (YouTube video) at one of the tracks said "I take off all controls" when he drove the ZR1. Of course, he just about blew one corner and the ZR1 lost to the Nissan. P.S. He did not mind the all wheel drive on the GTR ??

Last edited by marktsmith; 12-09-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Going back to the title of the thread, let's not confuse Magnetic Ride Control (MRC, or shocks) with Performance Traction Management (PTM, a.k.a. Traction Control on the earlier Z06's).

For PTM this appears a handy explanation:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...t-how-it-works

Edit: unless it has been fully integrated into one system on the newer cars (dunno; last I saw pre-PTM was the MRC and Traction Control were separate controls).

Edit II: it appears they have integrated all the 'older' stuff -- Traction Control and MRC -- into PTM. Wow... guess you don't get to just control the shocks by themselves anymore. Don't know if I like that or not... see http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=13639

Last edited by Mark2009; 12-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Magnetic Ride Question...