Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] How to disable PTM/F55 and Install Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default How to disable PTM/F55 and Install Coilovers

Hey folks, I've posted a similar question on the Z06 sub-forum however I figured my problem is more aligned to the ZR1 so I thought I'd ask here too.

I have a 2013 Z06 with PTM so it is the same electronics package as the ZR1.

Have any of the ZR1 owners here disabled their F55 and PTM and replaced their mag shocks with coilovers? If so, can you help me with specifics? What is needed using Tech2 to make this happen? I have gotten a few PMs and responses with procedures needed for older cars but I know the 2013 is different.

Thanks!
Vivek
Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

No one?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Michael ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check with anthony at LG about his track box it may do what your wanting
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael ZR1
check with anthony at LG about his track box it may do what your wanting
That's going to disable the TPS system only so that you can run low air pressures without AH kicking in.

wOOT, I seem to think that I remember talking to you on here back before you bought the car about that magnetic suspension (on Z06's) being an issue if you intend to seriously track the car lol! In any case I have no experience with PTM equipped cars but if you have a mod friendly dealer they should I think be able to disable it with a Tech2. It's possible that they might have to flash the BCM with the programming for a non-PTM equipped model (using the vin from another car) in order to get it to work properly. It's doable as mentioned if you have a mod friendly dealer that is willing to work with you.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

It can be taken out of the program with a tech 2, so can TPMS or any other option you car to delete, its just a matter of finding someone that will do it.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by RPO_Z06
It can be taken out of the program with a tech 2, so can TPMS or any other option you car to delete, its just a matter of finding someone that will do it.
The TPMS on a C6 cannot be disabled with a Tech 2.

The TPMS is not an "option" - it's a government mandated system.

The C5 Z06 came with non-runflat tires, and the TPMS was not activated in the car. However, if you put runflats on the car (which require tire pressure sensors and a TPMS), a dealer could activate the TPMS with a Tech 2 - but that was only on a C5.

By the time the C6 came out Big Brother had decided, due to the Phord Explorer/Firestone problems that been killing soccer moms and their families, that all cars needed to have a system that would tell the driver when their tire pressure was low. Part of the Federal mandate was that the system could not be disabled.

So....the C6 TPMS is not able to be turned off/disabled/deactivated or otherwise made inop with a Tech 2.

The LG unit, or some in-depth programming knowledge such as Chris White can provide to reprogram the BCM, are the only ways I know of to disable the TPMS - and they will only do it for track cars that won't be used on the street.

Butt....the MSRC can be disabled with Tech 2, but the MSRC input, along with steering angle and a bunch of other of stuff, is required for the PTM to function.

I suspect that if the MSRC magneto-rheological shocks are removed, the PTM will not function.

Just MHO!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

My apologies I am not trying to cause confusion - I am just wondering if there is another 2013 PTM/F55 ZR1 owner that has converted to coilovers and how they did the programming. I don't mind disabling PTM and F55 - as long as I don't get any errors at the end of the day. I don't mind running the car with traction control and active handling OFF.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I stand corrected I guess, I didn't know the C6 was a special case on TPMS, the C5 could be turned off, I know because I did it on my last one, well.. actually I turned it on and then off on a Z06 and I also added telescoping steering and turned it on.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:32 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I would say just unplug the f55 shocks & install your coil overs i do not think you will get any feed back or lights.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:32 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by sammy burks
I would say just unplug the f55 shocks & install your coil overs i do not think you will get any feed back or lights.
It is much more involved to remove the F55 compared to previous models. We have done it on a couple 2011 Carbon Edition cars, but I am not aware of many other shops that had success doing it other than Katech. One of the issues is the suspension control module is part of the high speed communications in the car and simply removing it will not work. There are wires that have to be soldered into place and then the BCM will have to be reprogrammed with options for a non-F55 equipped car. We have also ran into an issue that after a certain amount of ignition cycles the BCM reconfiguring option is no longer available and a new one will have to be installed and then programmed.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
It is much more involved to remove the F55 compared to previous models. We have done it on a couple 2011 Carbon Edition cars, but I am not aware of many other shops that had success doing it other than Katech. One of the issues is the suspension control module is part of the high speed communications in the car and simply removing it will not work. There are wires that have to be soldered into place and then the BCM will have to be reprogrammed with options for a non-F55 equipped car. We have also ran into an issue that after a certain amount of ignition cycles the BCM reconfiguring option is no longer available and a new one will have to be installed and then programmed.

yikes!

I hate you GM for making coilovers such a hard install on F55 cars!!

Get notified of new replies

To How to disable PTM/F55 and Install Coilovers

Quick Reply: [ZR1] How to disable PTM/F55 and Install Coilovers