Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another battery issue thread. Only fires up 3 times.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:56 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Another battery issue thread. Only fires up 3 times.

My car is having a battery issue. I have a year old AC Delco stock battery. Problem is, it only fires the motor about 3 times before it "dies" and then you cant start the car anymore. If I drive somewhere and get out, that 1 time. Get back in to start the car thats 2 times, if I stop for gas and get back in, thats 3 times. If I need to stop again, the car wont fire up again. Each time I should mention, when I start the car, the battery fires weaker and weaker. Starter is new, battery is like new and tested fine at Autozone reading 675CCA. Went to start the car right after and...wouldnt start. A little puzzled. Car is at the shop today getting looked over.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:57 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Alternator might be bad. You test that? Also sounds to me it is because if the alternator doesn't put out power. Your car is going to be running off your battery. All the battery is there for is to start the car. Once started the alternator powers everything and also charges the battery.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Disconnect the battery while the cars running. If the car dies the alternator isn't supplying enough juice to keep the car running
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree, sounds like alternator. Had same prob w/different car. Check connections
before pitching alternator.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 AM
sky1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in the old days you could test the alt by disconnecting the battery. Would not recommend that with newier cars. With all the electrics and computers you could get a surge and cause more problems. Autozone can check your alt the right way with the proper equipment.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Check the battery connection on the starter.

Bill
Old 12-18-2013, 03:53 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Alternator is new. I can test it though. Thanks guys. My tuner is thinking the starter is the issue but that is also new. He checked everything around the starter all connections are good. It's either the battery itself or the starter
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 PM
2StrikeHtr
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, no such thing as a small electrical problem - hang in there. Bad ground somewhere else ? Something draining ... didn't leave on a courtesy light ( I've done it ). Just thinking out loud here -
Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Check the battery connection on the starter.

Bill
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by croatbob
Disconnect the battery while the cars running. If the car dies the alternator isn't supplying enough juice to keep the car running
Not knocking your answer and maybe you know something I do not. I am not so sure this is sound advice. Never, never disconnect a battery with the car running or you run the risk of blowing a diode in the alternator.

What happened to simply taking a multimeter and testing voltage at the battery. Car not running with meter hooked to pos and neg battery terminals should read 12V. Start the car and perform same test should read ~14.2V at the battery. Sorry if I am missing something here. I am sure others will chime in.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERCRUZ
Not knocking your answer and maybe you know something I do not. I am not so sure this is sound advice. Never, never disconnect a battery with the car running or you run the risk of blowing a diode in the alternator.

What happened to simply taking a multimeter and testing voltage at the battery. Car not running with meter hooked to pos and neg battery terminals should read 12V. Start the car and perform same test should read ~14.2V at the battery. Sorry if I am missing something here. I am sure others will chime in.
I would have to agree. I don't like seeing a battery show less than 12.6 volts. To me when they go below that the bat is usually the culprit. I have never had good luck with an AC Delco battery, others love them.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERCRUZ

um yea.....DONT do that.....ever. use the proper testing equipment.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:16 PM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

I had something similar, it turned out to be a loose battery cable. Those clamps are a little strange, they feel like they are tightening but apparently they weren't.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had same thing happen on a car I had years ago. Starter would heat up while being driven, and expand just a hair, dragging and finally seizing inside its case. I changed out the starter, and all was good.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by clogan
I had same thing happen on a car I had years ago. Starter would heat up while being driven, and expand just a hair, dragging and finally seizing inside its case. I changed out the starter, and all was good.
This is what we have come to the conclusion of. Its the starter. All grounds are good, wires are good, battery is good, etc. Ill keep everyone posted.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:08 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Wasn't the starter apparently. Got a new battery to put in this Sat. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 12-26-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 PM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a problem like this with a new braille battery on my 350z (tuner shop recommended and bought). The battery was new and the voltage always looked good but it was toast on the inside. After I got stranded downtown and had to call a friend to jump my car I just went out and bought a Die hard platinum. 5 year free replacement warranty is hard to beat.

Braille was supposed to be this high end battery, but they don't warranty past a year. After that you are on your own.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
My car is having a battery issue. I have a year old AC Delco stock battery. Problem is, it only fires the motor about 3 times before it "dies" and then you cant start the car anymore. If I drive somewhere and get out, that 1 time. Get back in to start the car thats 2 times, if I stop for gas and get back in, thats 3 times. If I need to stop again, the car wont fire up again. Each time I should mention, when I start the car, the battery fires weaker and weaker. Starter is new, battery is like new and tested fine at Autozone reading 675CCA. Went to start the car right after and...wouldnt start. A little puzzled. Car is at the shop today getting looked over.
This can be determined with a few basic voltage and amperage measurements.

One thing I have learned is regarding the load test at Auto-Zone.

The battery should be subject to load a min of 3 times.

I've observed Batteries to pass Load Test once or twice. In many cases, the third showed the drop of the Battery when load was applied.

Not saying it is or it is not the Battery. Test static voltage, test dynamic voltage, test charge voltage at the Battery and compare to the source.

If the car is being difficult to start, test for 3 starts. Record all 3 voltages.

If you have an inductive amp meter, record the amps also.

These test will tell you if the "Hard to start" condition is from a Battery without sufficient charge/recharge potential or from an increase in cranking load.

Get notified of new replies

To Another battery issue thread. Only fires up 3 times.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another battery issue thread. Only fires up 3 times.