Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] WCCH heads 12k miles **video**

Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have analyzed most running on the track. One person in particular who has this setup and Ironically wouldn't you know it the shifts come spot on at 6800RPM. I guess even those who don't worry about it so much secretly do.

Last edited by propain; 01-03-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Coach62
Yes, they do make this valve for an LS7. The engineer verified this, I believe his name was Scott???? Sorry, do not have a PN, but if you call REV I'm sure they can look it up. I'll see if I can find my notes, I think I have his name on them.

I made the point to him that since it was a newer part, I didn't want to be the guinea pig. His response was something along the line of: "We've been making hollow exhaust valves for over (20 years???). We're no newcomer to this, we know what we're doing.

As pointed out above, the GM exhaust valves are around .030" thick at the sidewalls. I believe theirs is .060 or .070 thick. I left out one very important point BTW. The OEM valve weld is just above the valve head. REV makes their weld high enough that it will be up inside the valve guide. I think this is huge - IMHO.

Their engineer really impressed me, being an engineer myself (electrical). He said the valve bounce is serious as it sets up harmonic distortions that can cause stress to the valve and cause failure. He was very firm and direct in this assertion.

The ONLY reason I didn't go with that valve is they had not spintron tested it. Had they tested it, I would have hands-down bought that valve.

Good info. Thank you. Good to see some solid advice from actual engineers rather than forum users.

Last edited by propain; 01-04-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I am not beating on you for your decision to use OEM valves. I was actually at WCCH today speaking to Richard. He showed me the new OEM exhaust valves. They basically have some machining on the top of the valve but still the same welded application. I asked him if he was ready to advise anything different than what he has been using for years and he said no. He pointed out that his heads are routinely beat on with very large cams and never sees any heads coming back. You can't argue with success

DH
Wow, you mean he hasn't had any come back due to the valve bounce, or "VB"?

Seems that if valves were in "disharmony" and doing the valve bounce and destroying people's engines, that there would have been an angry crowd and a long line extending down the street from his place with disgruntled customers carrying torches and pitchforks, and you would not nave been able to make it through.

I know that you visit periodically, but has he ever told you how many sets of LS7 heads they have done over the years?

Are they as busy now as they were when they were doing the work on your heads?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-04-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:26 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Good to see videos like this!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:27 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
I have analyzed most running on the track. One person in particular who has this setup and Ironically wouldn't you know it the shifts come spot on at 6800RPM. I guess even those who don't worry about it so much secretly do.
Well I have analyzed most, who sit back and analyze others, who actually do run on the track. And wouldn't you know it but sometimes the track dictates short shifting (although most would not consider 6800 rpm short shifting). Sometimes when you are looking to set up for a long high speed sweeper you can't watch your tach to see if you have squeezed the last 200rpm out of it. Now I hope these same couch racers watch my video from ACS where there are 3 straight aways (two second gear shifts and one third gear shift) with no eminent turns where you can actually watch your tach and run it right up to redline

DH
Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Wow, you mean he hasn't had any come back due to the valve bounce, or "VB"?

Seems that if valves were in "disharmony" and doing the valve bounce and destroying people's engines, that there would have been an angry crowd and a long line extending down the street from his place with disgruntled customers carrying torches and pitchforks, and you would not nave been able to make it through.

I know that you visit periodically, but has he ever told you how many sets of LS7 heads they have done over the years?

Are they as busy now as they were when they were doing the work on your heads?
I didn't really ask him how many sets he has done. But apparently he always has them in his shop. He acknowledged that he would expect to be out of business if his heads were failing.

DH
Old 01-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't really ask him how many sets he has done. But apparently he always has them in his shop. He acknowledged that he would expect to be out of business if his heads were failing.

DH
I had a chance to email Richard today via email, and he said that it'll be about 2 weeks from start to finish. So I'm assuming he's pretty busy. I don't understand why it would take 2 weeks though if he had the heads readily available.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
I had a chance to email Richard today via email, and he said that it'll be about 2 weeks from start to finish. So I'm assuming he's pretty busy. I don't understand why it would take 2 weeks though if he had the heads readily available.
Might be that part of his success is that he spends more time in working on the heads and making sure everything is done to perfection. I was asking him today if has worked with a local GM dealer I know, and he told me that the dealers always want the work done too quickly and inexpensively which is not how he rolls. You just can't find anyone who is unhappy with Richards work

DH
Old 01-04-2014, 03:24 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well I have analyzed most, who sit back and analyze others, who actually do run on the track. And wouldn't you know it but sometimes the track dictates short shifting (although most would not consider 6800 rpm short shifting). Sometimes when you are looking to set up for a long high speed sweeper you can't watch your tach to see if you have squeezed the last 200rpm out of it. Now I hope these same couch racers watch my video from ACS where there are 3 straight aways (two second gear shifts and one third gear shift) with no eminent turns where you can actually watch your tach and run it right up to redline

DH
Interesting points Howie, and good points as well.

Not many road courses around here, closest is the very short but somewhat technical http://www.hookedondriving.com/details/PittRace.cfm and I really don't care for it as there have been more than a few accidents on it.

When my car was stock, I ran this track on a few occasions and never saw redline on it as the straights are short and you are into the braking zones in no time.

When the work was done on my car, and even prior to that, on the drag strip when it was stock, shifting at redline was no problem.

I wanted, shortly after having the heads done in my car, to see if the talk about heavier SS valves "slaughtering your redline" were true. I found out that it wasn't.

Shortly after the work was completed on it, I would take it to the drag strip. It rained early that day and it took a few hours for the track to dry and a lot of effort was put into getting it ready, and finally some time between 11 and noon, it was dry enough to run on.

What I found that day was that running the car up to redline, and shifting at redline was no problem with the SS valves setup, same as it had been stock.

The launch, and right launch RPM with the new Katech LS9X clutch and the Torquer cam were the more difficult parts to get down. But reaching redline and shifting at redline were no problem.

Might be that part of his success is that he spends more time in working on the heads and making sure everything is done to perfection. I was asking him today if has worked with a local GM dealer I know, and he told me that the dealers always want the work done too quickly and inexpensively which is not how he rolls. You just can't find anyone who is unhappy with Richards work

DH

DH
Well, word of LS7 engine failures typically spread like wildfire.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-04-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Coach62
[...] As pointed out above, the GM exhaust valves are around .030" thick at the sidewalls. [...]
13% more than that. The 1st gen. OEM valves measure .034, the 2nd gen. (the new p/n introduced early 2008) measure .043

The LS6 exh. valves were a tad thinner.... .030 or .031

Last edited by Mark2009; 01-04-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark200X
13% more than that. The 1st gen. OEM valves measure .034, the 2nd gen. (the new p/n introduced early 2008) measure .043

Good info.

Now please show us a link, preferably two, showing us the source of this information and confirmation of it.

If one checks, they can see that:

2006 production was 6,272
http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2013...ction-numbers/

By May of 2008, all of 2006, 2007 and much of 2008 production would have been finished, so we are talking about approximately 17,000 cars and possibly more. There were 30,548 LS7 equipped cars built, so we would be talking well over half the cars built had pre 2008 valves put into them.

I'm sure that some of the 2006, 2007 and pre May 2008 production owners would like to know why the decision was made to increase the wall thickness of the valves that their cars had been built with.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-04-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

DH

Awwww, guilty conscience I see. Who said I was talking about you?

Now that you bring it up though and I have looked and you do indeed shift at 6800 when its not necessary at that track in particular. Hmmm... more track time needed maybe.

As far as being a couch racer (If you were referring to me) I am about as far as they come. I just don't feel the need to post my every video on this forum for validation from anonymous forum users.

Sorry for the interruption, Ill let you get back to your WCCH cheer leading.

Last edited by propain; 01-04-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
Good to see videos like this!
For many of us, yes it is good to see videos like that one.

For others of us, it's a huge disappointment.

Oh, and Howie, don't sweat it, because many in here appreciate your videos.

At least you aren't claiming bone stock when you're not.

Have a look at what is referred to as bone stock.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...fast-list.html

I was co admin of that list back in 2007 when it was put it together, indeed, it was put together at my suggestion and Ranger, knowing that at that time I was making the initial passes in my own car, recommended that the listing be modeled along the C5 Z06 Fast List, and his is the first post in it outlining the rules.

On a side note, I still recall his early attempts to get his driving dialed in.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-125-69-a.html

We kept that listing for years, I was running my own car in Western PA, him at MIR, Capitol, and occasionally at ATCO. He was setting records, I like many other new owners back then, was just learning, I recall his advice and encouragement though.

I would make the updates and additions to "The C6 Z06 Fast List" each time a member wanted added to it, and checking across this forum for prior posts and even other internet forums to determine the authenticity of bone stock claims. When I first saw some of the present day or more recent claims, I tended to think that it was 4.10 gears. These were unlikely back then, if not impossible, as I think that RPM transmissions was among the first to make them available around 2010 or 2011. But today I still would not put that past some of the claims made now, as they became available for the Z06 well after the start of that listing. But there are other methods as well.

I busted people all the time making bogus bone stock claims.

Let's just say, that to the letter of those rules conceived back then and still in effect to this day, "engine balancing" doesn't apply as showroom stock or bone stock.

For those who want to know what engine balancing is, and work on the short block is, and why it's not bone stock, and what advantages it offers what it entails, I encourage you to look it up.

But it is good to see that there is a hotshoe from hell amongst us.

Take a look at the link I sent you.

Anybody else wants to see it PM me.

Oh, and while I was admin of that listing, I never expected it to, but that work, made it all the way to Wixom.

Take a look:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ld-center.html

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-04-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:47 AM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All these SS guys are saying thinner is worse... so that certainly explains why LS6 sodium exh. valves are failing way more than LS7s are. Good info.

I'm WCCH heads with new 2011 stock sodium exh valves. While Howie is right that WCCH hasn't seen heads back, WCCH also mentioned that usually he doesn't get heads back from vendors as they likely do guide rework down the road locally later. Would you spend $200-300 in shipping costs to/back from WCCH to get new guides reworked in your WCCH heads down the road? Have a feeling few vendors would.

Last edited by H82BFST; 01-04-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:03 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Funny how these threads turn into such a pissing mach. Some people have so much invested in WCCH and their "fix" they get ravenous when anyone questions results or dares to actually ask for post mod results. As you can see from the above the dogs are loose. 12K miles on a WCCH head and they are high fiveing each other like they just won the Superbowl. I cant help but smile at those protecting their options and seem to have more than just a choice invested.

You have many on this forum who look for drama. "Engine Balancing" is a good one as well. So many trolls so little time. When you cant race your car you look for excuses to validate your sub par results. As they say "Haters are gonna hate"

Last edited by propain; 01-04-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

The interesting thing in here is that "racing one's car" is not the primary purpose for why many of them were purchased in the first place.

Many, myself included, if racing or tracking were the primary goal, then money would be spent on a dedicated track car, probably an R title, and go from there.

I know in my own instance, I go to the track for no other reason than to have a mad minute and drive the car in such a way which would cost me my license were I to do so on the street.

Thus the track is not the holy grail for me. I can take it or leave it.

But when I do go, knowing that variables all the way from weather, track elevation, track preparation, rental vs test and tune, to how rusty or sharp I am on that day, I go to with two objectives: To have fun more than anything else, and more importantly to get myself and my car back in one piece.

Any day I go to the track and can do that, it's been a good day and the results were well above "par".

I'm seeing in here bragging about amateur "records" amongst a group of total strangers in an attempt to seek "validation" vs criticism about "showing video and seeking validation from strangers by posting up one's videos".

As to which one is better or worse, well, ......I like watching the videos.

But more importantly, I know that when I do go back to the track, and there really is no hurry to do so, I know that the second objective, getting my car back in one piece, has a better chance of being met than it had on those occasions when I went to the track before the cylinder head work was done on it.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-14-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

"Throw a rock into a pack of dogs, and the only one who will yelp, is the one that it hit."

So true. I like it.

Get notified of new replies

To WCCH heads 12k miles **video**

Old 01-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

And which dog has been yelping the most?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:06 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

and the debate continues
Old 01-04-2014, 12:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

And which dog has been yelping the most?
And which one hasn't posted up the sources for his following claim?

13% more than that. The 1st gen. OEM valves measure .034, the 2nd gen. (the new p/n introduced early 2008) measure .043....

Yeah, if you say so.

Post up a link, preferably two confirming, corroborating and showing that what you say above is the case.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-04-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] WCCH heads 12k miles **video**