Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Reduced Engine Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:06 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Reduced Engine Power

Hello all! Was just out for a drive and after leaving a traffic light and lightly accelerating the check engine light came on and dic posted Reduced Engine power, Service Ride Control, Service Traction Control. Was wondering if this ever happened to any of you. I have a code reader and could clear the codes but not sure if this would correct anything. If it's just a communication issue with computer it might but if there is something else wrong I might be making it harder on Tech when I take it in. Feels like its zero to sixty in about 15 minutes now! Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

There are a number of these issues reported on C6's to include our ZR1's. I would pull the codes and see what they are. In my ZR1, I have been having "low voltage" codes for the last few months - sometimes I have to shut off the car and restart to clear 3 or 4 times and then the next few days nothing. I recently had my car into a well respected shop here in Phoenix and they reviewed all my charging system, battery, (has newer battery) etc. Battery was 118% for a couple of days they had it as I do keep on battery tender - bottom line is somewhere I have a ground issue and/or sensor that is picking up low voltage for a split second that causing the reduced power and service active handling, etc.

I know others have had issues with everything from a sensor on the floor throttle assy, tele wheel, spark plug/coil wires, gas cap to the ECM, etc. etc. So, you need to know the codes. I would do an advance search here for C6's and you can read all the threads.

Good luck and let us know what you find! Other than having to reset my car by turning off and on, my car is great so now that I know what the codes are does not bother me that much.

Good luck! Ron

Last edited by Rons65; 06-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rons65
There are a number of these issues reported on C6's to include our ZR1's. I would pull the codes and see what they are. In my ZR1, I have been having "low voltage" codes for the last few months - sometimes I have to shut off the car and restart to clear 3 or 4 times and then the next few days nothing. I recently had my car into a well respected shop here in Phoenix and they reviewed all my charging system, battery, (has newer battery) etc. Battery was 118% for a couple of days they had it as I do keep on battery tender - bottom line is somewhere I have a ground issue and/or sensor that is picking up low voltage for a split second that causing the reduced power and service active handling, etc.

I know others have had issues with everything from a sensor on the floor throttle assy, tele wheel, spark plug/coil wires, gas cap to the ECM, etc. etc. So, you need to know the codes. I would do an advance search here for C6's and you can read all the threads.

Good luck and let us know what you find! Other than having to reset my car by turning off and on, my car is great so now that I know what the codes are does not bother me that much.

Good luck! Ron
So you clear your codes and the problem goes away? Until next time? Thanks for the reply
Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

ok, read the code. P2122 throttle position sensor. I cleared the code and now car runs fine. Don't know how long this will last but at least now I know what it is. Put battery charger on it to be sure there is a full charge. Hopefully just a glitch.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbp8653
ok, read the code. P2122 throttle position sensor. I cleared the code and now car runs fine. Don't know how long this will last but at least now I know what it is. Put battery charger on it to be sure there is a full charge. Hopefully just a glitch.
Ok, new update. Took it for a ride and 1/2 mile from house it crapped out again. Going to shop monday morning!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Fixed! They replaced the gas pedal. Tech says it happens often not only in Corvettes, but in the rest of the line up of cars and trucks as well. Something goes wrong that causes the parts to not talk to each other properly. No more reduced engine power
Old 06-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep.... I have seen this one quite a bit in the news the past few months...glad you figured it out quickly!

Ron
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Fixed! They replaced the gas pedal. Tech says it happens often not only in Corvettes, but in the rest of the line up of cars and trucks as well. Something goes wrong that causes the parts to not talk to each other properly. No more reduced engine power

assume the issue was the throttle position sensor ?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
assume the issue was the throttle position sensor ?
What ever it was it required the pedal assembly to be replaced. I will get paperwork today and see what it says exactly.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:09 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

What ever it was it required the pedal assembly to be replaced. I will get paperwork today and see what it says exactly.
APP sensor ( accelerator pedal position sensor ) Serviced by replacing entire accelerator pedal assembly.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^ thanks for confirming !
Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Another up date! Picked car up last Monday. Was fine going home. Took it out for a drive today and it threw the code again. I guess they didnt fix it. Back to the shop
Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Another up date! Picked car up last Monday. Was fine going home. Took it out for a drive today and it threw the code again. I guess they didnt fix it. Back to the shop
Sincere apologies to read about the recurring concerns with your ZR1. I can understand how concerning this matter would be. I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your dealer if necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Sincere apologies to read about the recurring concerns with your ZR1. I can understand how concerning this matter would be. I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your dealer if necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks for asking. Car has been there since last Saturday. They still don't know whats wrong. They say they are in contact with engineering dept at Chevy trying to track it down. When car went back into limp mode last Saturday afternoon I went back home and called dealership. They said of course bring it back in. When I drove it in ( dealership close to home) it was back to running fine. So it is intermittent. Thats what makes it hard to fix. They have not been able to make it go back into reduced power mode since its been there.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:23 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Special order wires to re do wiringing harness. Seems that they are so thin that a good connection sometimes is not made. Takes 3-5 biz days for wires to come in. So maybe in a week it will be fixed
Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Thanks for asking. Car has been there since last Saturday. They still don't know whats wrong. They say they are in contact with engineering dept at Chevy trying to track it down. When car went back into limp mode last Saturday afternoon I went back home and called dealership. They said of course bring it back in. When I drove it in ( dealership close to home) it was back to running fine. So it is intermittent. Thats what makes it hard to fix. They have not been able to make it go back into reduced power mode since its been there.
Oh no!

Really sorry to hear about that. Intermittent concerns can be definitely be very tricky to identify. Feel free to keep us posted on the diagnosis. Your updates are appreciated.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

OK, Here is a update. Car has been back in the shop for 2 weeks tomorrow(Saturday 6/28) GM Tech told dealership (over a week ago) that the problem lies in the wiring harness. Bad connections and too small a gauge wire. They will not replace the whole engine harness as the problem may still be present with new harness. They said the fix was replacing 3 particular wires in the harness and their connectors. The new wire is a upgrade to the wires that are in the harness. They had to special order the wire. Took about 6 days for it to come in. Today(6/27) the car is on the lift to do job. Tech finds out they don't have the proper connectors in stock. They have to order them. Should be in by Monday( 6/30) so looks like sometime next week. Wondering if any other of you have had this problem? Also wondering if this is going to fix it. Replacing the gas pedal didn't fix it. Thinking if this doesn't work how long will it be in shop next time? Wonder if it could of been as simple as replacing the ecm? Car is bone stock by the way. Thank goodness.

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power

Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't recall reading about this specific issue previously here on the CF...anyone else familiar with this problem ?
sounds quite unusual to me...

OP, good luck and hope the dealer truly remedies the problem.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:19 PM
veech
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like they are going to use a jumper wire to bypass the problem instead if track down and repair/replace the problem.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:58 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Originally Posted by veech
Sounds like they are going to use a jumper wire to bypass the problem instead if track down and repair/replace the problem.
Sorta. They say its these three particular wires that need help. And when I say "they say" I am talking about GM tech. They told dealership tech what and how to do it and said it would be a better fix than replacing entire harness. We will see.....................

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Reduced Engine Power