Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrhand
GFY, I've been workign all week, went to a corvette gathering over the weekend and just go back. Instead of trying to call people out why don't you PM them and ask them if they were still interested.
I thought you had already donated. Got the $100! Thank you!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I've been getting:

"We're sorry, but we can't send your payment right now."

For the past few days. I am working on it.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Jasonoff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
I've been getting:

Better than the "you aint got no money foo..."
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

I've been getting:

PayPal is garbage sometimes. Make sure the email is typed in correctly it's a bit confusing.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I've been getting:

I got the same response.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

vray is in for $200, were at $650 so far. Getting close!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Id like to see what effect a roller rocker has on the valve train control.
Weren't there a couple of guys willing to send in some RR's?
What about those "endurance" cams?
Id like to see an endurance lobed cam (milder than the K501) with a Ti exhaust valve beehive springs and RR setup on the bill.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
Id like to see what effect a roller rocker has on the valve train control.
Weren't there a couple of guys willing to send in some RR's?
What about those "endurance" cams?
Id like to see an endurance lobed cam (milder than the K501) with a Ti exhaust valve beehive springs and RR setup on the bill.
The endurance cam and a roller tip would make for two different combos. So that would give us a total of 4 different setups.

I think Michael_D knows someone who can provide an HS roller tipped rocker to use with stock setup and vert_c6 can source an endurance cam.

So test 3:
Stock cam, springs, valve
HS roller tip rocker

And test 4:
Torquer cam,
Ferrea valves,
endurance cam
Beehive sprigs

Both tests have baselines for their respective parts

If everyone is ok i will add these two tests to the OP or Michael_D or VertC6 if you feel like these setups aren't right or you can get the parts let me know.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Thanks to Michael_D we are at $850! There's still a few people who have said they will donate but haven't yet, one is having PayPal issues and some others just haven't checked back yet. Soon we should be over our first goal of $900 and then once the next two tests are agreed upon, I'll will send this to Jason to get a new quote on our second goal to run all 4 tests! Progress is being made!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

$950!

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 07-22-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I'll will send this to Jason to get a new quote on our second goal to run all 4 tests! Progress is being made!
Just remember that Jason (and most of the people at Katech) are out of the office now at their annual customer track event, Track Attack. So he's probably not going to be back in the office until Thursday and then will be playing catch up for a few days so be prepared to expect some delays on replies from him until he gets caught up on things
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
The endurance cam and a roller tip would make for two different combos. So that would give us a total of 4 different setups.

I think Michael_D knows someone who can provide an HS roller tipped rocker to use with stock setup and vert_c6 can source an endurance cam.

So test 3:
Stock cam, springs, valve
HS roller tip rocker

And test 4:
Torquer cam,
Ferrea valves,
endurance cam
Beehive sprigs

Both tests have baselines for their respective parts

If everyone is ok i will add these two tests to the OP or Michael_D or VertC6 if you feel like these setups aren't right or you can get the parts let me know.
Ok great but the stock setup had little to no bounce at all so putting the RR's on it might not show any improvement. Maybe the benefit would be in a situation that needs more control? Am I correct in my thinking here?
For test 4 you said "Torquer cam,Ferrea valves,endurance cam,Beehive sprigs" Is the Torquer an endurance cam?
Would we put RR's on that setup?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
Ok great but the stock setup had little to no bounce at all so putting the RR's on it might not show any improvement. Maybe the benefit would be in a situation that needs more control? Am I correct in my thinking here? [...]
Mmm, not quite. The heavier nose on the roller rocker would make valvetrain control worse, not better. The idea of testing them is to see how much worse, and if a stiffer spring can control it (or a decrease in weight elsewhere can offset it).

The advantage of the roller tipped rocker is, at least theoretically, less side load on the valve stem and valve guide (which should = less valve guide wear).
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
Ok great but the stock setup had little to no bounce at all so putting the RR's on it might not show any improvement. Maybe the benefit would be in a situation that needs more control? Am I correct in my thinking here?
For test 4 you said "Torquer cam,Ferrea valves,endurance cam,Beehive sprigs" Is the Torquer an endurance cam?
Would we put RR's on that setup?
Just noticed that mistake. Here's what I was trying to type for combo #4:

Ferrea valves
Endurance cam
Beehive springs
Stock rockers

So you don't think the RR on the stock setup would yield valid data?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

There are people installing YT roller tipped rockers on an otherwise, completely OEM engine. For that reason, I think it would prove most beneficial to start out with an OE valve train, then install the heavier rockers. That would eliminate the math and / or theoretical component that so many on this forum have difficulties with.

Or, if the testing contributors don't really give a damn what this pig headed demographic thinks, then we could just install the CHE and HS (or YT if I can find some) rockers on the baseline set up, after it's ran with OE rockers. Personally, I really couldn't care less, as long as three back to back tests are done 1) OE rockers 2) CHE rockers 3) Roller tipped rockers. I can do the math with each of them and extrapolate into a % based formula that would at least provide some degree of estimation with respect to nose weight.

But; if these tests are done with the lighter Ferrea valve and good springs, I suspect the test will need to be ran up to 7800, or maybe even 8000 to see when valve goes from bounce to float.

Now that we are over the $900 threshold, how bout some of you other interested folks walk to work for a couple days, save that money you'd spend on a tank of gas and double down?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Would the CHE rockers even be necessary? It's the same rotating mass with a bushing vs a bearing... unless the theory is that instability in the trunnion bearing leads to valve instability (no idea, just shooting in the dark).

But I agree that at the very least a back to back between the OEM rocker and a roller tip on an otherwise stock valvetrain would be very interesting, and that the stock valvetrain would be the place to test it (most susceptible to stress/load).
Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Stability only. Not different M-MOI. I'd like to see if they help above the OE with needles. Curiosity thing, more than anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

PayPal sent
Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Michael_D
There are people installing YT roller tipped rockers on an otherwise, completely OEM engine. For that reason, I think it would prove most beneficial to start out with an OE valve train, then install the heavier rockers. That would eliminate the math and / or theoretical component that so many on this forum have difficulties with.

Or, if the testing contributors don't really give a damn what this pig headed demographic thinks, then we could just install the CHE and HS (or YT if I can find some) rockers on the baseline set up, after it's ran with OE rockers. Personally, I really couldn't care less, as long as three back to back tests are done 1) OE rockers 2) CHE rockers 3) Roller tipped rockers. I can do the math with each of them and extrapolate into a % based formula that would at least provide some degree of estimation with respect to nose weight.

But; if these tests are done with the lighter Ferrea valve and good springs, I suspect the test will need to be ran up to 7800, or maybe even 8000 to see when valve goes from bounce to float.

Now that we are over the $900 threshold, how bout some of you other interested folks walk to work for a couple days, save that money you'd spend on a tank of gas and double down?
This is what I am waiting for with Howie in particular. He said he would be interested in additional testing with the stock setup and even has a friend who might be interested. Kinda vanished when we wouldn't let him talk about off topic stuff, now that it's time to show up he's a ghost. Things just got really cold in my dining room maybe that's him?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

If we do raise enough funds I will call Kip back at cam motion and he will donate one of his cams for testing. Find out from Jason the hours evolved to swap cams after the Ferrea valve and PSI springs are tested with the torquer.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Spintron Testing Request and Donation Thread