Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Aftermarket NAV

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:38 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Aftermarket NAV

If the Z I'm currently looking at doesn't even have factory NAV and the factory NAV supposedly sucks anyway along with updates costing a fortune then it's time to consider a aftermarket unit as NAV is real high on my priority list. That said, it has to look like it's supposed to be there and not something hacked in. I would like it to function like OEM off the steering wheel controls when needed, actually take you to where you wish to go and get timely updates that are cost effective. The stereo side of the equasion is not so important to me as I am deaf as a haddock and refuse to wear hearing aids (in denial of my age). If you have a picture of your installation, post it please as it's going to boil down to which one looks best in place. Thanks,
Chip
Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I remain very impressed with the navigation app that was included with my Android head unit.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 PM
[Cerberus]
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Kenwood DNX 9100 with the Garmin Navigation, and it is slick. I have been meaning to take photos but never seem to get around to cleaning the inside that well.

I am a long time Garmin user (fanboy?), and this doesn't disappoint. east to program, lane assist great maps. I have used it on several long trips and it is spot on.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Best NAV I have

Google Maps on my iphone. I rent a lot of cars in Germany, and they almost all have the factory NAV. This is with Mercedes, Audis, and BMWs. For the novice getting into the car, I have my choice between spending 30 minutes to learn each system or just get out my iPhone and go to Google Maps for the instant routing. Sure, the sophisticated factory systems have traffic updates and rerouting, but that is not good enough. It's no contest any more. Why would one ever pay for the factory NAV just to find it is out of date before your payments are over?

PS, my iPhone has no trouble finding the Nurburgring. I would rather spend the money on a high quality car audio system.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:27 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The Kenwood DNX8900 or 9900 seem to be favorites for the C6s. Go the audio section there. There is a vendor in Fl somewhere that has all the pieces to integrate everything for the C6 Corvette and its steering wheel.

I am very happy with mine including the BU camera I added for it.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:55 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

Hi.

The factory nav was a $2,900 option in Canada, and since many forum members expressed there displeasure with the factory nav, I decided to buy my '08 C6 without nav, and upgrade at a later time. A wise choice IMHO.

In 2013, I installed a Kenwood DNX890HD which comes with a Garmin nav. Only a trained eye could detect that it is not an original nav head unit from GM. Looks and works great.

I put the nav antenna next to the front speaker (which I no longer use). Very stealth.

I also added the Kenwood rear camera - a really nice option. Gets handier as I get older.

Steering wheel controls are even better than stock, as I now have Pause and Mute.

The Kenwood can be set set up to work with the stock Bose amp, but I decided to go with an Arc Audio amp that fits in place of the Bose amp to drive my Focal door speaks - very stealth.

While everything was apart, I wired the stock rear speakers into the Kenwood using its amp to drive them. I added sound deadening material at this time as well.

The dealer who sold me the Kenwood pre-wired in a special interface that made it easy to plug into the stock GM harness, and allow the BCM to think that this is a valid head unit. There is also an interface that plugs into the harness to allow for steering wheel controls.

Hope this helps,

M....

Last edited by Mike Green9; 02-13-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Green9
Hi.

The factory nav was a $2,900 option in Canada, and since many forum members expressed there displeasure with the factory nav, I decided to buy my '08 C6 without nav, and upgrade at a later time. A wise choice IMHO.

In 2013, I installed a Kenwood DNX890HD which comes with a Garmin nav. Only a trained eye could detect that it is not an original nav head unit from GM. Looks and works great.

I put the nav antenna next to the front speaker (which I no longer use). Very stealth.

I also added the Kenwood rear camera - a really nice option. Gets handier as I get older.

Steering wheel controls are even better than stock, as I now have Pause and Mute.

The Kenwood can be set set up to work with the stock Bose amp, but I decided to go with an Arc Audio amp that fits in place of the Bose amp to drive my Focal door speaks - very stealth.

While everything was apart, I wired the stock rear speakers into the Kenwood using its amp to drive them. I added sound deadening material at this time as well.

The dealer who sold me the Kenwood pre-wired in a special interface that made it easy to plug into the stock GM harness, and allow the BCM to think that this is a valid head unit. There is also an interface that plugs into the harness to allow for steering wheel controls.

Hope this helps,

M....
Does this also interface with the HUD while using NAV?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Hi.

Hope this helps,

M....

You do realize the last response to this thread was almost 4yrs ago.......
Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron'sGS
You do realize the last response to this thread was almost 4yrs ago.......
Yes, but he's detailing his install that actually took place 5 years ago.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:11 AM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
Does this also interface with the HUD while using NAV?
Only the factory NAV can interface with the HUD.

M...
The following users liked this post:
SonnyAK (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Most OEM and aftermarket head units with NAV built in suck. Get a head unit that supports Apple and Google integration and run the nav from your phone into your head unit. It offers the best experience by far.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Most OEM and aftermarket head units with NAV built in suck. Get a head unit that supports Apple and Google integration and run the nav from your phone into your head unit. It offers the best experience by far.
^^^ This. apple carplay or android auto head unit and you have the best there is and it updates with your phone.

any other nav unit sucks...including pretty much every single one that comes in factory vehicles. my 2016 Silverado nav sucks compared to apple carplay
Old 02-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Hi.

Are you paying for phone connection air time?

M...
Old 02-15-2018, 03:50 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you paying for phone connection air time?
The app I use stores map data on the uSD card so does not require a data plan.

Originally Posted by bjmsam
I remain very impressed with the navigation app that was included with my Android head unit.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket NAV

Quick Reply: [Z06] Aftermarket NAV