Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cam Scared

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:14 AM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cam Scared

Hi all.

After reading intensely for the last few months, I am going to have the head work done on my 07 C6Z (13 k miles).

The builder I am using is reputable and specializes in LS motors and comes highly recommended on this site and others, so his knowledge is not my issue. Its my decision on what cam to use...... sigh.

Here is what he is recommending:

-Comp Cam 243 259 .660 .660 116
-WCCH stage 2 CNC LS7 heads(using my heads as cores)
-GM MLS head gaskets
-GM head bolt set
-Dual Platinium Valve Spring kit with Titanium Retainers, new valve seals, seats, and locks
-New GM Crank Bolt
-New front cover gasket, seal, and water pump gaskets
-NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
-Oil change (Mobil One oil, and ACdelco oil filter)
-Top off all fluids
-Professional Installation
-Full Dyno and street tuning with
-160 thermostat
-Fast 102 Intake
-Fast billet fuel rails with AN lines
-Kooks LT coated
-Kooks catted X
-Halltech 103

I just don't know if I want THAT much cam. I have spoke to him and will discuss further on Friday, but here's what I would "like" to accomplish... knowing there will be compromises.... just want some real life opinions on what you guys have done to your cars with cams.

1. Drivablility on the highway at 1400-2000 RPM
2. Fuel economy for trips. Currently get 26 - 28 mpg. (Its not the money)
3. Ability to drive in summer heat with the A/C on.
4. Occasional track day at the strip.
5. Yeah... HP to the wheels, but 7,000rpm not all that important.
6. Want it to "sound" like it has a cam.

I have been reading about the Kaotic and the Katech tourquers, but what are you guys seeing in drivablility, fuel on the highway and how much horsepower (dyno) with a similar setup, but different cam?

I am dropping the car off this Friday to have the heads pulled and shipped, so I don't have alot of time to contemplate this. I know some of this is subjective.

Thanks in advance!

OH!!! This package will put the car at 590whp and 570t.

Last edited by ratomicZ06; 01-14-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Also in your boat
waiting on replys
Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, based on that list I wouldn't let this guy touch my car, regardless of his reputation.

Given the guide wear issue, you want an 'endurance' cam. Talk to the folks at EPS/Cam Motion. Lower lift and generally 'easier' on the already stressed LS7 valvetrain. A little less power (maybe 20 HP peak).

Two, you don't want tractor pull dual valve springs. You want quality (PAC or PSI) beehives.

Third, you don't want those heavy assed solid exhaust valves from tractor repair shop WCCH.

Fourth, I wouldn't spend $700 on porting factory-ported heads unless I wanted dyno wallpaper. Edit: Not to mention the possibility of negatively impacting low RPM throttle response.

Last, if you're going to get a tune you don't need the $500 Halltech either.

You don't need the NGK plugs (at 13K miles your stock plugs are fine) or the 160 tstat (more 1960's thinking).

He's giving you the cookie cutter dyno queen package, 'one size fits all'. Not a pro approach IMHO.

Last edited by Mark2009; 01-14-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM
0Jared@RPP
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would much rather have the SS exhaust valves in my car, Yes the 2 piece factory are lighter, but is it really worth the teeny bit of HP you're going to gain? Nope... I would rather have something in there that if the guide gets worn will NOT break and destroy an engine. Just my Opinion. DO NOT run the bronze guides, cylinder head shops install the bronze guides due to the ease of sizing these guides vs the powder metal guides. Powder metal is a harder material hands down, they will take longer to wear. Im good friends with Brian Tooley and sell nothing but his valvetrain parts. Theres a reason my car did what it did. His camshafts/valvetrain are second to none. Ive seen several PAC/other beehive springs break, there is no way in the world I would run a beehive spring on an engine with a camshaft above 600 lift. There will be tons of opinions here, I speak from real world use with my own car and what Ive learned with the help from Brian and other gurus. I ran nearly a .700 lift camshaft in my Z06 for over a year of HARD track/street abuse before I sold it, since then the guy has put over 7k miles on it. No issues.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Don't think you'll be happy with the cam - too much duration - look elsewhere

As for Marks insults to WCCH - well, I won't go there - insulting a company that has helped hundreds in here but I do agree with his points except 'Two' and 'Third'

good luck
Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared@RPP
I would much rather have the SS exhaust valves in my car, Yes the 2 piece factory are lighter, but is it really worth the teeny bit of HP you're going to gain? Nope... I would rather have something in there that if the guide gets worn will NOT break and destroy an engine.
LMAO...yea...we go with the lighter valve because of HP.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I would much rather have the SS exhaust valves in my car, Yes the 2 piece factory are lighter, but is it really worth the teeny bit of HP you're going to gain? [...]
You're a vendor and you think there is a HP difference between the two valves?

And that would be a reason to choose between the two?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:02 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

OP talk offline in your area to other owners with modified C6 z06's, call multiple shops in your area, and some of the shops listed on this forum. Ask a lot of questions, specifically how many cars they have built with the heads using WCCH and how many have had problems?

Tractor pull, tractor springs and other comments are lets say just agenda by a person who has not even shared if he has resolved his out spec guides in his car! No need for 160 thermostat on a modified car, no need for NGK plugs are BS... Katech tested the Halltech MF103 and recommends it on there builds! Do a search you'll see it listed on the builds!

There are a lot of modified z06's on this site with close to same modifications you are looking at .. Look at the C6 z06 Fast List...
Old 01-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

A cam close to Katech's k501 will give you the drive ability you desire. I have a similar cam on my car with ported stage 2 WCCH heads, ported factory intake manifold and tb, and Halltech Killer Bee. The car will cruise in 6th at 65 mph with no surging. WCCH has a good track record and I would ask it for advice on porting and valve springs.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Agree 100%, Way too much duration and if you want you guides to last that's way too much lift. EPS or Patrick G to spec the cam

Originally Posted by Mark2009
First, based on that list I wouldn't let this guy touch my car, regardless of his reputation. Given the guide wear issue, you want an 'endurance' cam. Talk to the folks at EPS/Cam Motion. Lower lift and generally 'easier' on the already stressed LS7 valvetrain. A little less power (maybe 20 HP peak). Two, you don't want tractor pull dual valve springs. You want quality (PAC or PSI) beehives. Third, you don't want those heavy assed solid exhaust valves from tractor repair shop WCCH. Fourth, I wouldn't spend $700 on porting factory-ported heads unless I wanted dyno wallpaper. Edit: Not to mention the possibility of negatively impacting low RPM throttle response. Last, if you're going to get a tune you don't need the $500 Halltech either. You don't need the NGK plugs (at 13K miles your stock plugs are fine) or the 160 tstat (more 1960's thinking). He's giving you the cookie cutter dyno queen package, 'one size fits all'. Not a pro approach IMHO. .
Old 01-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
[,,,] Katech tested the Halltech MF103 and recommends it on there builds! Do a search you'll see it listed on the builds! [....]
What's the HP gain on a car already tuned?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] No need for 160 thermostat on a modified car, no need for NGK plugs are BS... [....]
What's the HP gain? Show us some back-back dyno charts, talk is cheap.

Are you in sales?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:36 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Are you in sales?
No

Are you a retired GM Engineer?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

What's the HP gain on a car already tuned?
Jim Hall at Halltech and Katech can answer that question for you Mark!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

No

Are you a retired GM Engineer?
No. Where's your data to back up your claims? (so the OP can make an informed decision)
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

No.
Where is your data prove that your claims are correct?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I would much rather have the SS exhaust valves in my car, Yes the 2 piece factory are lighter, but is it really worth the teeny bit of HP you're going to gain? Nope... I would rather have something in there that if the guide gets worn will NOT break and destroy an engine. Just my Opinion. DO NOT run the bronze guides, cylinder head shops install the bronze guides due to the ease of sizing these guides vs the powder metal guides. Powder metal is a harder material hands down, they will take longer to wear. Im good friends with Brian Tooley and sell nothing but his valvetrain parts. Theres a reason my car did what it did. His camshafts/valvetrain are second to none. Ive seen several PAC/other beehive springs break, there is no way in the world I would run a beehive spring on an engine with a camshaft above 600 lift. There will be tons of opinions here, I speak from real world use with my own car and what Ive learned with the help from Brian and other gurus. I ran nearly a .700 lift camshaft in my Z06 for over a year of HARD track/street abuse before I sold it, since then the guy has put over 7k miles on it. No issues.

I agree with this. I am using SS valves with powder metal guides. Best combo in my opinion. Been running hard for two years now with 0 issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam Scared

Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

For me (I don't know about you) I have a big cam. I want a bigger faster cam. I want an animal for a z06..The bit of bucking doenst bother me much.I don't daily drive...MSD intake coming out soon. Im hearing more hp then fast. tr7 ix plugs? tr6 is stock heat range for z06 and you are not going to be stock..I spoke to guys with giant cams seems to be the same as just big cams. haltech 107? Brain tooley and pac and 921 comp springs I heard good things.. Put an under drive pulley on? 1 7/8 kooks? I like your other choices...wcch are good for big power..160 good...1,400 rpm on the hwy? I cant do that. Wont sound much like a cam if its small . You know I have a cam and a big one...Borla exhaust sounds mean. Don't be like me and wish I would have gone bigger to start with everything...You will get used to that hp level ,will you want more? If so do it now same money now.. What clutch you running your beast with? lol stock? rps bc2 good choice for me pure animal.

Last edited by meinersk; 01-14-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:57 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperX
I agree with this. I am using SS valves with powder metal guides. Best combo in my opinion. Been running hard for two years now with 0 issues.
Not after seeing the Katech spintron testing will you think this is the best setup.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:06 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vertC6
Not after seeing the Katech spintron testing will you think this is the best setup.
The secret test not shown to other members on this forum?

Is your car still stock?

Last edited by FSTFRC; 01-14-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cam Scared