Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
Reload this Page >

[Z06] Popping/knocking from Rear End under hard acceleration

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] Popping/knocking from Rear End under hard acceleration

Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 AM
KKreme15
CF Senior Member

Default Popping/knocking from Rear End under hard acceleration

My mostly stock (heads fixed) 2007 z06 with 21k miles makes a weird noise from the back under hard acceleration. It only makes the noise starting from the top of second at WOT. If I'm cursing in 6th at 80 and accelerate, I don't hear it. It only happens under hard acceleration. Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? Quick check under the car doesn't show anything loose or hanging, haven't lifted it up to see.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 AM
Subsonic
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
My mostly stock (heads fixed) 2007 z06 with 21k miles makes a weird noise from the back under hard acceleration. It only makes the noise starting from the top of second at WOT. If I'm cursing in 6th at 80 and accelerate, I don't hear it. It only happens under hard acceleration. Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? Quick check under the car doesn't show anything loose or hanging, haven't lifted it up to see.
I just replaced my drive shaft for what could be a similar noise.

for me the best way to replicate it was a 2nd gear punch from 4k. the noise for me appeared to be coming from my rear passenger compartment area, but as much as the noise I felt a hesitation and loss of power to the wheels during the time the noise was present.

you feeling anything like that?

Good luck. I'm far from the best mechanic type here but I'll bet someone can help you get sorted out.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Frankie2blue
CF Senior Member

I have the same thing in the same area, but if I am in 1st or 2nd and just jab it to about 4000 RPM's. I am sure it's not traction control or axel nuts. When I shake the exhaust as hard as I can I get nothing. Been with me since the car was near new.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 AM
KKreme15
CF Senior Member

I get no power hesitation, car is still pulling like a freight train. I don't know if I should be worried or not.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:26 PM
KKreme15
CF Senior Member

bump
Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Mark2009
CF Senior Member

Check (closely) all your rear sway bar mounting hardware, especially the C clamps that hold it to the frame (for missing/loose bolts/nuts).
Old 01-23-2019, 03:39 AM
Daniel94B

Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
I have the exact same problem, did you find a solution?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 AM
Daniel94B

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue View Post
I have the same thing in the same area, but if I am in 1st or 2nd and just jab it to about 4000 RPM's. I am sure it's not traction control or axel nuts. When I shake the exhaust as hard as I can I get nothing. Been with me since the car was near new.
Been like that since new? Then i guess its normal.. Have you found any solutions to it or is it still like that?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 PM
dmuellenberg
CF Senior Member

I had a similar issue which ended up being the end links on the rear sway bar.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Check (closely) all your rear sway bar mounting hardware, especially the C clamps that hold it to the frame (for missing/loose bolts/nuts).
Second this. Also check your leaf spring adjusters, if one is broken it may be making a noise on the LCA when under load/acceleration. I doubt your control arm bushings have deteriorated to the point to where they are causing any sort of noise.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Daniel94B

Thanks for the reply guys ill have a look tomorrow 👍
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 PM
Dirk Miller
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Daniel94B View Post
Thanks for the reply guys ill have a look tomorrow ��
Not sure if what I found is quite the same but I had experienced similar sounds from what I perceived as coming from the rear. Recently I took off my H pipe and found the forward connector flange of the H pipe was rubbing against the forward part of the tunnel plate. I haven't taken it off the jack stands yet, but I believe the rubbing could have caused much of the noise I experienced under acceleration. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 01-23-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:11 AM
jimbob8915
CF Senior Member

Change out your sway bar end links. It is easy an they are cheap. It will eliminate this as a cause.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 AM
Daniel94B

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller View Post
Not sure if what I found is quite the same but I had experienced similar sounds from what I perceived as coming from the rear. Recently I took off my H pipe and found the forward connector flange of the H pipe was rubbing against the forward part of the tunnel plate. I haven't taken it off the jack stands yet, but I believe the rubbing could have caused much of the noise I experienced under acceleration. Best of luck to you!
Could be it, the only thing which is not stock on my car is the exhaust, thanks for the tip ill check for that also.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:06 AM
Daniel94B

Originally Posted by jimbob8915 View Post
Change out your sway bar end links. It is easy an they are cheap. It will eliminate this as a cause.
Thanks, i will order a pair for the rear end after i take a look at it today
Old 01-25-2019, 07:11 AM
Daniel94B

Ok guys new update. I was under the car and pulled a few things and everything seemed fine except for a driveshaft that was a bit loose on the passenger side. So i guess ill start from there 👍
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Sox-Fan
CF Senior Member

the axle nuts are known to loosen on these, but that presents itself as a clicking when going from decel to accel, or vice versa.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:54 AM
dmuellenberg
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Daniel94B View Post
Ok guys new update. I was under the car and pulled a few things and everything seemed fine except for a driveshaft that was a bit loose on the passenger side. So i guess ill start from there 👍
I'm not sure what you mean, a driveshaft on the passenger side, as there is only 1 driveshaft. What am I missing here? Do you mean the passenger side axle half shaft?
Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Daniel94B

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, a driveshaft on the passenger side, as there is only 1 driveshaft. What am I missing here? Do you mean the passenger side axle half shaft?
yeah exactly, sorry english isint my first languege 😂
Old 01-25-2019, 12:55 PM
c5arlen
CF Senior Member

Default Bean Counters

GM bean counters changed the designers material wishes with plastic-like parts at locations all over the place... Increase the diameter of sway bar, change end links to metal, install new bushings... You'll be so happy with the new feel of the C5 you won't be able to wipe smile from your face! 😀

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Popping/knocking from Rear End under hard acceleration

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: