Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
Reload this Page >

[Z06] Popping/knocking from Rear End under hard acceleration

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] Popping/knocking from Rear End under hard acceleration

 
Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 AM
  #1  
KKreme15
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 108
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Popping/knocking from Rear End under hard acceleration

My mostly stock (heads fixed) 2007 z06 with 21k miles makes a weird noise from the back under hard acceleration. It only makes the noise starting from the top of second at WOT. If I'm cursing in 6th at 80 and accelerate, I don't hear it. It only happens under hard acceleration. Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? Quick check under the car doesn't show anything loose or hanging, haven't lifted it up to see.
KKreme15 is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 AM
  #2  
Subsonic
CF Senior Member
 
Subsonic's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,873
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
My mostly stock (heads fixed) 2007 z06 with 21k miles makes a weird noise from the back under hard acceleration. It only makes the noise starting from the top of second at WOT. If I'm cursing in 6th at 80 and accelerate, I don't hear it. It only happens under hard acceleration. Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? Quick check under the car doesn't show anything loose or hanging, haven't lifted it up to see.
I just replaced my drive shaft for what could be a similar noise.

for me the best way to replicate it was a 2nd gear punch from 4k. the noise for me appeared to be coming from my rear passenger compartment area, but as much as the noise I felt a hesitation and loss of power to the wheels during the time the noise was present.

you feeling anything like that?

Good luck. I'm far from the best mechanic type here but I'll bet someone can help you get sorted out.
Subsonic is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 AM
  #3  
Frankie2blue
CF Senior Member
 
Frankie2blue's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: North shore,Ma./Naples Florida
Posts: 2,659
Thanked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I have the same thing in the same area, but if I am in 1st or 2nd and just jab it to about 4000 RPM's. I am sure it's not traction control or axel nuts. When I shake the exhaust as hard as I can I get nothing. Been with me since the car was near new.
Frankie2blue is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 AM
  #4  
KKreme15
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 108
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I get no power hesitation, car is still pulling like a freight train. I don't know if I should be worried or not.
KKreme15 is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 02:26 PM
  #5  
KKreme15
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 108
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

bump
KKreme15 is offline  
Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM
  #6  
Mark2009
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: KY
Posts: 4,706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Check (closely) all your rear sway bar mounting hardware, especially the C clamps that hold it to the frame (for missing/loose bolts/nuts).
Mark2009 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 03:39 AM
  #7  
Daniel94B
Junior Member
 
Daniel94B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
My mostly stock (heads fixed) 2007 z06 with 21k miles makes a weird noise from the back under hard acceleration. It only makes the noise starting from the top of second at WOT. If I'm cursing in 6th at 80 and accelerate, I don't hear it. It only happens under hard acceleration. Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? Quick check under the car doesn't show anything loose or hanging, haven't lifted it up to see.
I have the exact same problem, did you find a solution?
Daniel94B is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 AM
  #8  
Daniel94B
Junior Member
 
Daniel94B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue View Post
I have the same thing in the same area, but if I am in 1st or 2nd and just jab it to about 4000 RPM's. I am sure it's not traction control or axel nuts. When I shake the exhaust as hard as I can I get nothing. Been with me since the car was near new.
Been like that since new? Then i guess its normal.. Have you found any solutions to it or is it still like that?
Daniel94B is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 PM
  #9  
dmuellenberg
CF Senior Member
 
dmuellenberg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Maplewood MN
Posts: 1,704
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Default

I had a similar issue which ended up being the end links on the rear sway bar.
dmuellenberg is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM
  #10  
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Dane@LGmotorsports's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 603
Thanked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Check (closely) all your rear sway bar mounting hardware, especially the C clamps that hold it to the frame (for missing/loose bolts/nuts).
Second this. Also check your leaf spring adjusters, if one is broken it may be making a noise on the LCA when under load/acceleration. I doubt your control arm bushings have deteriorated to the point to where they are causing any sort of noise.
Dane@LGmotorsports is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM
  #11  
Daniel94B
Junior Member
 
Daniel94B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the reply guys ill have a look tomorrow 👍
Daniel94B is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 PM
  #12  
Dirk Miller
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Pleasant Hill Ca.
Posts: 773
Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Daniel94B View Post
Thanks for the reply guys ill have a look tomorrow ��
Not sure if what I found is quite the same but I had experienced similar sounds from what I perceived as coming from the rear. Recently I took off my H pipe and found the forward connector flange of the H pipe was rubbing against the forward part of the tunnel plate. I haven't taken it off the jack stands yet, but I believe the rubbing could have caused much of the noise I experienced under acceleration. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 01-23-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Dirk Miller is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 12:11 AM
  #13  
jimbob8915
CF Senior Member
 
jimbob8915's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 561
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Change out your sway bar end links. It is easy an they are cheap. It will eliminate this as a cause.
jimbob8915 is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 AM
  #14  
Daniel94B
Junior Member
 
Daniel94B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller View Post
Not sure if what I found is quite the same but I had experienced similar sounds from what I perceived as coming from the rear. Recently I took off my H pipe and found the forward connector flange of the H pipe was rubbing against the forward part of the tunnel plate. I haven't taken it off the jack stands yet, but I believe the rubbing could have caused much of the noise I experienced under acceleration. Best of luck to you!
Could be it, the only thing which is not stock on my car is the exhaust, thanks for the tip ill check for that also.
Daniel94B is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 01:06 AM
  #15  
Daniel94B
Junior Member
 
Daniel94B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jimbob8915 View Post
Change out your sway bar end links. It is easy an they are cheap. It will eliminate this as a cause.
Thanks, i will order a pair for the rear end after i take a look at it today
Daniel94B is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 07:11 AM
  #16  
Daniel94B
Junior Member
 
Daniel94B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok guys new update. I was under the car and pulled a few things and everything seemed fine except for a driveshaft that was a bit loose on the passenger side. So i guess ill start from there 👍
Daniel94B is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM
  #17  
Sox-Fan
CF Senior Member
 
Sox-Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Mt. Pleasant S.C.
Posts: 2,325
Thanked 130 Times in 110 Posts
Default

the axle nuts are known to loosen on these, but that presents itself as a clicking when going from decel to accel, or vice versa.
Sox-Fan is online now  
Old 01-25-2019, 11:54 AM
  #18  
dmuellenberg
CF Senior Member
 
dmuellenberg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Maplewood MN
Posts: 1,704
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Daniel94B View Post
Ok guys new update. I was under the car and pulled a few things and everything seemed fine except for a driveshaft that was a bit loose on the passenger side. So i guess ill start from there 👍
I'm not sure what you mean, a driveshaft on the passenger side, as there is only 1 driveshaft. What am I missing here? Do you mean the passenger side axle half shaft?
dmuellenberg is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 AM
  #19  
Daniel94B
Junior Member
 
Daniel94B's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 36
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, a driveshaft on the passenger side, as there is only 1 driveshaft. What am I missing here? Do you mean the passenger side axle half shaft?
yeah exactly, sorry english isint my first languege 😂
Daniel94B is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:55 PM
  #20  
c5arlen
CF Senior Member
 
c5arlen's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Sioux Falls South Dakota
Posts: 117
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default Bean Counters

GM bean counters changed the designers material wishes with plastic-like parts at locations all over the place... Increase the diameter of sway bar, change end links to metal, install new bushings... You'll be so happy with the new feel of the C5 you won't be able to wipe smile from your face! 😀
c5arlen is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Popping/knocking from Rear End under hard acceleration


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: